gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681009 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 11:30:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 30 years ago today.  (Read 13081 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2013, 12:41:08 PM »

I thought Mr. Roach was going to come out with some kinda book on Dennis. You know, containing pictures he took of Dennis all those years and the band and stuff. Was that wishful thinking, or is it still on the backburner to come to fruition one day.

Anyway, looking forward to Jon's update.

Thanks for asking; ironically, I just posted something about this, on a Facebook tribute page we'd started on his birthday:  https://www.facebook.com/roachclips68 

There are many of us that have started and/or written books about him, only to not follow through on publishing.  (God bless ya, Jon, for "The Real Beach Boy"!)  For myself, it got very difficult to continue writing once the really painful years began.  However, I do have about 350 pages tucked away, (and that's without photos, which I know is what everyone is really clamoring for me to release).  Every milestone event makes me yearn to complete this, so I've decided to put up a sample chapter sometime after the first of the year, to get everyone's feedback.  I'll be sure to give a link to it here

Oh that's awesome news Mr. Roach I can't wait for it! ;DQ!  does anyone have any update on the rerelease of Mr. Stebbin's book?  Smiley
The only update is that it's coming soon. Specific release update will be posted in the next week or two. And yes, Ed...please...keep working on it. We'll all be excited to read it, no matter when it's ready. Happy Holidays to you and Annie.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 12:59:38 PM »

Another version of "Holy Man" is awaiting release?  I hope we get to hear that sometime soon.
Would this be the "London" version of "Holy Man" that features Brian May and Roger Taylor of Queen ?
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2013, 01:44:51 PM »

I thought Mr. Roach was going to come out with some kinda book on Dennis. You know, containing pictures he took of Dennis all those years and the band and stuff. Was that wishful thinking, or is it still on the backburner to come to fruition one day.

Anyway, looking forward to Jon's update.

Thanks for asking; ironically, I just posted something about this, on a Facebook tribute page we'd started on his birthday:  https://www.facebook.com/roachclips68 

There are many of us that have started and/or written books about him, only to not follow through on publishing.  (God bless ya, Jon, for "The Real Beach Boy"!)  For myself, it got very difficult to continue writing once the really painful years began.  However, I do have about 350 pages tucked away, (and that's without photos, which I know is what everyone is really clamoring for me to release).  Every milestone event makes me yearn to complete this, so I've decided to put up a sample chapter sometime after the first of the year, to get everyone's feedback.  I'll be sure to give a link to it here

Oh that's awesome news Mr. Roach I can't wait for it! ;DQ!  does anyone have any update on the rerelease of Mr. Stebbin's book?  Smiley
The only update is that it's coming soon. Specific release update will be posted in the next week or two. And yes, Ed...please...keep working on it. We'll all be excited to read it, no matter when it's ready. Happy Holidays to you and Annie.

I CAN'T WAIT!  Grin it's gonna be great  Cheesy

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2013, 01:56:32 PM »

Dennis Wilson is a good singer and a awesome Surfer!  I know he drowned but some people say that Manson went to the Marina and killed Dennis then he slipped and hit is head on something then drowned.  To me Dennis and his song of Forever lives in my heart

RIP Dennis Wilson the TRUE Surfer of California

I had a fast Life
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2013, 02:02:35 PM »

Dennis lost Harmony over two years before he died: he was diving from Bill Oster's Emerald.

Hal says Dennis' boat was very close to his own boat, not exactly next to it. Hal may not have been aware that Dennis had lost it some time ago. I don't know how probable that is, but certainly Hal may have been mistaken some way or another. Well, if I think back to things that happened in 1981-83 I'm not sure I'd get the chronology right.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 02:04:30 PM »

Dennis Wilson is a good singer and a awesome Surfer!  I know he drowned but some people say that Manson went to the Marina and killed Dennis then he slipped and hit is head on something then drowned.  To me Dennis and his song of Forever lives in my heart

I just got off of Tumblr and another Denny fan said that people have reported that his ghost hitchhikes up the Pacific Ocean Coast  Highway asking for rides and when people ask what his name is he says "Dennis, I'm looking for my ex- wife Karen"...does anyone on here no anything about that?  Shocked

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2013, 02:20:44 PM »

Pretty sure that's in Jon's book.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 02:39:05 PM »

Oh ok then

-Dennis Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2013, 02:47:06 PM »

Calling Mikie for his "troll-be gone" spray as we speak...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »

Soooo... Charlie snuck out San Quentin without anyone noticing, travelled about 400 miles to the marina, killed Dennis, then drowned an already dead man, then made the 400 mile return journey and snuck back into jail before anyone noticed he was gone. Right ? I see nothing improbable in that scenario.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2013, 07:09:46 PM »

Okay, so this is the thread where we are honoring and remembering Dennis.  wow
God Bless Dennis, his family, and those who cared.
]
peace be with you brothers and sisters
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 08:42:02 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2013, 07:48:05 PM »

I was 6 years old when Dennis died. I hadn't even heard of the Beach Boys yet. I wish I had the chance to.see him on stage.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2013, 08:31:43 PM »

Memories.. I saw the BB play 5 times in 1983 ,,The 1st 2 shows Dennis played.. 1} Santa Barbara Ca. Spring 83 BB 1st shows with BW back from Hawaii.. Met Brian Dennis  Al  Bruce  Landy + Dean Torrence.. Very good show DW was On and played the show with some finesse ..All tempos were correct and band sounded really nice.. When I met the guys they were really friendly + gracious + DW was charming.. They all signed my hat + I sang Just Once in my Life with BW.. Before the show..  2} August 83 Costa Mesa TH.. There is some video of this.. The band was HOT + DW was in hjgh gear rockin like a MAD MAN.. BW was out there to runnin all over the place acting like I have never seen before or since.. ENERGY.. Brian + Dennis were on the same wavelength pushin the band.. The other 4 were bewildered and shooting nervous glances back + forth.. I had a sense that it could fall apart at any moment.. But it didn't.. Last time I saw DW play.. 3} BB played Pomona fair couple of nites + I saw one show there..  Brian + Dennis were BOTH there but never went up to play  + from were I was sitting they WANTED to.. Dennis kept wiping his mouth  nerviously and I felt bad.. This was late summer 1983.. In the fall of 1983 BB played 3 Nites at Universal Ampitheatre and I went one night with a BB friend named Ted and the other night with my 2nd wife.. Dennis was missed and the crowd kept yelling loudly WHERE"S Dennis..?? Mike was visibly irritated  and said Dennis is home drying out which wasn't true.. This is the show that debuted Boogies in Town + full version of Its A matter of time..  DENNIS was MISSED and a couple of months later he was gone. I posted this because previous poster never saw DW play + I wanted to pay tribute to his memory.. I am so lucky to have been born when so many great musicians played in their PRIME.. But BB were more special than the rest.. WHY.. They were California boys that sang + still sing like ANGELS  from heaven RIP Dennis
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2013, 08:35:42 PM »

Great posts from so many of our stalwarts on this sad anniversary, the best of which remind us that despite his troubles and struggles, Dennis was--and is--unforgettable.

We can be thankful that 2013 brought us official releases of long-withheld but highly worthy material from Dennis, adding to his legacy.

Jon, I definitely have to get a signed copy of your updated book when it comes out, to companion with my proudly inscribed copy of the first edition.

Ed, if I can be so bold, I'd like to suggest that you consider working with C-Man on a combined project. With your photos and reminiscences, and his tremendously detailed look at Dennis' music, this book, alongside Jon's, would make for an incredible 1-2 punch!

Listening to my Dennis compilation on i-Tunes now...the pre-"Partyized" version of "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" is playing now. A revealing choice for Dennis to have sung: while he clearly "got" what Lennon was talking about, he didn't subscribe to that notion...he never "hid his love away."
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2013, 09:25:43 PM »

Memories.. I saw the BB play 5 times in 1983 ,,The 1st 2 shows Dennis played.. 1} Santa Barbara Ca. Spring 83 BB 1st shows with BW back from Hawaii.. Met Brian Dennis  Al  Bruce  Landy + Dean Torrence.. Very good show DW was On and played the show with some finesse ..All tempos were correct and band sounded really nice.. When I met the guys they were really friendly + gracious + DW was charming.. They all signed my hat + I sang Just Once in my Life with BW.. Before the show..  2} August 83 Costa Mesa TH.. There is some video of this.. The band was HOT + DW was in hjgh gear rockin like a MAD MAN.. BW was out there to runnin all over the place acting like I have never seen before or since.. ENERGY.. Brian + Dennis were on the same wavelength pushin the band.. The other 4 were bewildered and shooting nervous glances back + forth.. I had a sense that it could fall apart at any moment.. But it didn't.. Last time I saw DW play.. 3} BB played Pomona fair couple of nites + I saw one show there..  Brian + Dennis were BOTH there but never went up to play  + from were I was sitting they WANTED to.. Dennis kept wiping his mouth  nerviously and I felt bad.. This was late summer 1983.. In the fall of 1983 BB played 3 Nites at Universal Ampitheatre and I went one night with a BB friend named Ted and the other night with my 2nd wife.. Dennis was missed and the crowd kept yelling loudly WHERE"S Dennis..?? Mike was visibly irritated  and said Dennis is home drying out which wasn't true.. This is the show that debuted Boogies in Town + full version of Its A matter of time..  DENNIS was MISSED and a couple of months later he was gone. I posted this because previous poster never saw DW play + I wanted to pay tribute to his memory.. I am so lucky to have been born when so many great musicians played in their PRIME.. But BB were more special than the rest.. WHY.. They were California boys that sang + still sing like ANGELS  from heaven RIP Dennis
Wow, you were lucky to see Dennis and Brian when you did!  Grin I'd love to read some of your memories of the shows sometime.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2013, 09:44:30 PM »

Wow, you were lucky to see Dennis and Brian when you did!  Grin I'd love to read some of your memories of the shows sometime.

Yea me too  Grin

-Dennis Wilson
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2013, 10:04:01 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/article/like-heat-from-a-blast-furnace-the-sheer-raw-force-of-beach-boy-dennis-wilson
Like Heat From a Blast Furnace: The Sheer Raw Force of Beach Boy Dennis Wilson

This 3,600 word in-depth feature of mine kinda slipped through the cracks, but it features some cool interviews with Mr. Doe, Jon Stebbins, c-man, and Mike Eder about one of their favorite subjects.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 10:06:39 PM by jeremylr » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2013, 10:39:50 PM »

I find that quote from Andrew Doe about Dennis and Murry being  alike interesting. I'd like to read more about that.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2013, 10:43:32 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/article/like-heat-from-a-blast-furnace-the-sheer-raw-force-of-beach-boy-dennis-wilson

This 3,600 word in-depth feature of mine kinda slipped through the cracks, but it features some cool interviews with Mr. Doe, Jon Stebbins, c-man, and Mike Eder about one of their favorite subjects.

Many thanks for the link, which is appreciated. That, however, is the last Examiner piece I'll read - reading on an iPhone and every so often it automatically launches iTunes and offers an app for an online gambling site. Crass, cheap and intrusive.

“We live in divisive times.”
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »

Well if you go to the review section { albums books dvd"s} and look up Good vibrations dvd read my thoughts on 7-3-76 Anaheim stadium.. Its the 1976 Its OK tv  special dvd.. Now that was an event when that was shown on tv..That day was UNBELIVABLE.. The band + the backing band + the horn section was GREAT..!!!!!! One thing that younger people don't realize in the 70"s  + 80"s The audience was SO LOUD singing along that it was hard to hear the band.. !! Im not kidding and there was a time period when there was 4 BB on stage and only AL to do the high part.. Poor guy tryin to do that with the audience doin the whoo whoo at the end of FFF.. Drown him out.! They actually gave up trying to do it + the audience took over.. 50 000 people singin along is quite a memory for me AND the Beach Boys.. All those people doin  that was awesome.. I haven't seen that in years..  I felt vindicated for all the BS I took over listening to Sunflower ETC.. Dennis was awesome that day  + You Are  so Beautiful was the best I ever heard him do it.. He had 50 60 thousand people in the palm of his hand.. Outstanding !!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2013, 11:20:33 PM »

Thank you Jeremy for the links to all those articles very cool.. Read them all + I enjoyed James Burton"s article also..!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2013, 03:00:47 AM »

I just got off of Tumblr and another Denny fan said that people have reported that his ghost hitchhikes up the Pacific Ocean Coast  Highway asking for rides and when people ask what his name is he says "Dennis, I'm looking for my ex- wife Karen"...does anyone on here no anything about that?  Shocked

Yes, only problem with that particular theory is that GHOSTS DON'T EXIST. 
carolinablonde
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2013, 06:09:08 AM »

Carnie Wilson posted on Twitter that Dennis' third grandson was born at 10:45 p.m. on 12/28.  Appropriately, the little fellow was named Dennis.  Funny how life comes around full circle, huh?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2013, 06:43:14 AM »

Carnie Wilson posted on Twitter that Dennis' third grandson was born at 10:45 p.m. on 12/28.  Appropriately, the little fellow was named Dennis.  Funny how life comes around full circle, huh?
That great news, made my day! May he have the irrepressible spirit and all of Dennis' good qualities. 

He will be surrounded by love and music. Love

Drumroll for Baby Denny! 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2013, 07:10:06 AM »

That was a great read

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx