gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680949 Posts in 27622 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 06:02:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Beach Boys "Classics" are.. 'Not to your taste?'  (Read 39459 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2012, 02:25:22 PM »

most of the hits, I never actively listen to them anymore unless I'm listening to a full album, because I'm just so tired of hearing them. why listen to Surfer Girl when you can listen to Our Team?
Because I like "Surfer Girl" much more than "Our Team"?  Wink

LOL - yeah, this! And, also, I'd heard all of the hits growing up on oldies radio + my appetite for all things 60s, but I wasn't really a megafan - so now coming back and listening to Surfer Girl, Help Me Rhonda, Barbara Ann....I am listening to them through different ears - same song, new perspective.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2012, 03:39:54 PM »

I honestly find Carl & The Passions as a whole overrated. I love "Here She Comes" and "All This is That", but that's really it. The rest range from decent (YNAMOHTSA) to bizarre and laughable (He Come Down, Denny's schaltz-fests).

Part of what puts it off for me is the length of the tracks. Nearly every song is over 3 and a half minutes, with two of the worst (Cuddle Up and Hold On, Dear Brother) dragging on for over five minutes.

Also, I never liked "Do it Again". It sounded like the bland reunion song TWGMTR could have turned out to be (and thankfully, didn't).

haha that's like my favorite album. ITs them basically experimenting with different sounds. Make It Good and Cuddle Up sort of sound like precursors to stuff in POB. "Hold On Dear Brother" is them trying to sound like Neil Young.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2012, 03:56:34 PM »

haha that's like my favorite album. ITs them basically experimenting with different sounds. Make It Good and Cuddle Up sort of sound like precursors to stuff in POB. "Hold On Dear Brother" is them trying to sound like Neil Young.

It's one of MY favorite albums by them too but like I said, those Dennis tracks sound more like DEMOS than precursors; ideas that go nowhere.  I like all of his tracks on Sunflower and (for the most part) on 20/20, as well as Holland, and the stuff he had ready around the time of Surf's Up but the two tracks on So Tough are way more style than substance to me.
Paulos
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2012, 04:03:16 PM »

Never really loved Warmth Of The Sun, no idea why.
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2012, 04:51:29 PM »

HCTN - disco version (although I'm not calling it a "classic").  Skip over it every time.
Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2012, 06:11:25 PM »

HCTN - disco version (although I'm not calling it a "classic").  Skip over it every time.
Holy sacred cow, Batman. Next you'll be telling us you don't like Wrinkles.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »

I don't dislike "Little Deuce Coupe," but it wouldn't bother me if I didn't hear it again, either. I think "Shut Down" blows "LDC" out of the water.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2012, 06:28:47 PM »

I don't know why, but Breakaway has never managed to convince me. Also, some of Denny's "bellow or mutter 'oooo, love you' over formless backless tracks" tend to be rather boring.

Right on with both. I really tried to like "Breakaway", and it's a nice song, but I can see why it wasn't the hit that they were hoping for. It didn't have that punch that stuff like "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "Heroes And Villains", and "This Whole World" has.

And on the Dennis stuff, it's just the truth. His stuff of Carl and the Passions especially. They just aren't really songs. However, I do think a lot of Pacific Ocean Blue is great, but I feel like he does fall back into that trap with some of Bambu.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2012, 07:16:34 PM »

I don't know why, but Breakaway has never managed to convince me. Also, some of Denny's "bellow or mutter 'oooo, love you' over formless backless tracks" tend to be rather boring.

Right on with both. I really tried to like "Breakaway", and it's a nice song, but I can see why it wasn't the hit that they were hoping for. It didn't have that punch that stuff like "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "Heroes And Villains", and "This Whole World" has.

And on the Dennis stuff, it's just the truth. His stuff of Carl and the Passions especially. They just aren't really songs. However, I do think a lot of Pacific Ocean Blue is great, but I feel like he does fall back into that trap with some of Bambu.

Gosh, I'm totally in love with Breakaway.
I couldn't see anyone disliking it.
This thread is a revelation to me.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »

WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THIS THREAD?  Shocked

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »

You people are on crack. Square crack.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »

LOL

Break Away is such a great song, although I think that maybe the melody seems instantly familiar, like you've heard it a million times before. I love it to pieces, but maybe that deters some people. That's part of the genius of Brian (and Murry! in this case), elements of this catalog seem so conventional at a distant glance, but taking a closer look reveals some unbelievable craftmanship.

Warmth of The Sun....I have no insight as to how a hardcore Beach Boys fan wouldn't melt for that.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »

I can't get behind this..

wow!!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »

I like Breakaway but I think the ending is really weak.

I'm not a fan of Surfin' USA, any of the car songs (excluding Don't Worry Baby) or Fun, Fun, Fun.

I absolutely despise Be True To Your School and Rock & Roll Music.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2012, 08:59:22 PM »

You people are on crack. Square crack.

Some of you need to relax and stop being such fan boys.  Who gives a sh@t if someone doesn't like what you like?

An echo chamber seems to be what most of you want, but it's a very confining place.  Branch out.  Listen to other opinions.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2012, 09:14:38 PM »

Agree with most of you on "Be True to Your School" and "Barbara Ann".

Perhaps slightly more controversial: "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Add Some Music to Your Day".  Tongue

And "That's Why God Made the Radio", if we're considering that a "classic".
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:15:32 PM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2012, 02:06:36 AM »

I've brought The Beach Boys fandom to its lowest!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Paulos
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2012, 03:18:41 AM »

I can't get behind this..

wow!!

I can't get behind people not liking some of my favourite songs and yet I'm not freaking out about it.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2012, 04:05:41 AM »

You're So Good To Me is not so good...to me.

...same here. I find the 'fairground' impression, the simple thumping rhythm, and the 'la la la la-ing' mildly irritating. Childish, even.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2012, 04:26:32 AM »

The slow ones, e.g.
In my room
Surfer Girl
Betsy (why did they do that on the tour this year?)
Disney Girls
The ones with Blondie/Ricky on lead, but I love Brian's Sail on Sailor

Some here have singled out "Be true to your school", I just love it (both versions) and also "Do You Wanna Dance". The teste  is different, as it should be.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2012, 04:47:06 AM »

Calm down please. This thread is a healing thing. It will prevent some folks around here buying three copies of the Made In California set simultaneously (just in case one drops and the cat merrily chews away at the second). And subsequent divorce from their better halves. Bankruptcy. The lunacy of total fandom. You know the score.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2012, 04:48:58 AM »

Calm down please. This thread is a healing thing. It will prevent some folks around here buying three copies of the Made In California set simultaneously (just in case one drops and the cat merrily chews away at the second). And subsequent divorce from their better halves. Bankruptcy. The lunacy of total fandom. You know the score.

So I'm actually the saviour of the fandom? WOOOHOOO!

(Never give me power - ever)

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2012, 05:28:35 AM »

...same here. I find the 'fairground' impression, the simple thumping rhythm, and the 'la la la la-ing' mildly irritating. Childish, even.
I shall agree about la-la-la thing, but other than that, I have nothing for disliking it. That's like one of Brian's best vocal performances, very soulful. Don't you think so?

I have more posts than you do.

Period.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2012, 07:08:34 AM »

Be True To Your School

It was not cool to be proud of your high school where I came from - even the jocks hated the school. I really dig the chord changes and harmonies, but I can't get with those lyrics.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2012, 08:11:35 AM »

I shall agree about la-la-la thing, but other than that, I have nothing for disliking it. That's like one of Brian's best vocal performances, very soulful. Don't you think so?

I have more posts than you do.

Period.
I didn't quite inderstand what it means, but anyway, I didn't intend to seem disrespectful to your taste. If my post does indicate sth. rude, then sorry for it. I asked about Brian's performance because you didn't comment about it, so I thought maybe you like at least his singing, if not the harmonies. Though I guess, you don't like the song overall. And I respect it.

Oh, I was just joking. Please take it lightheartedly, I was, um, donning the mantle of the senior poster, or something like that... you are completely right in your assessment of Brian's singing. He's totally involved and 'lets loose'. But it doesn't save the track for me, at the end of the day.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx