gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680903 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 04:41:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last known pictures of Dennis and Carl  (Read 155417 times)
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2009, 06:44:51 PM »

I was just wondering, are there any known pictures taken of Carl after he stopped touring in August 1997? I suspect that if there were any, they are private family owned pictures.

There was a picture of Carl and Jerry Schilling that Jerry sent to Endless Summer Quarterly, and which we published in our Spring '98 issue, I believe.  We only had one-time permission to print it in the magazine so I can't reproduce it here, but I can't prevent one of our subscribers from scanning it and posting it...

Lee
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2009, 07:02:45 PM »

I was just wondering, are there any known pictures taken of Carl after he stopped touring in August 1997? I suspect that if there were any, they are private family owned pictures.

There was a picture of Carl and Jerry Schilling that Jerry sent to Endless Summer Quarterly, and which we published in our Spring '98 issue, I believe.  We only had one-time permission to print it in the magazine so I can't reproduce it here, but I can't prevent one of our subscribers from scanning it and posting it...

Lee
How did Carl look?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2009, 09:01:23 PM »

I remember that photo.  Carl actually looked fine, better than in the 97 tour photos.  Maybe the effects of chemo had worn off, except that he was wearing a Chicago Cubs hat and that is the ONLY time I have ever seen him in a hat...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
MBE
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2009, 01:15:48 AM »

I wasn't going to post this but.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2009, 01:57:01 AM »

I wasn't going to post this but.....

Wow that is really sad Cry Thanks for posting anyway Undecided
MBE
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2009, 02:08:15 AM »

No problem. He looks ill but momentarily happy so it's not as bad as it could have been.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2009, 02:19:25 AM »

No problem. He looks ill but momentarily happy so it's not as bad as it could have been.

True that, but I was just so shocked. I thought "why did MBE post a picture of some random guy?" I didn't even recognize him at first... Undecided
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2009, 08:53:01 PM »

Wow. He doesn't even look much like Carl in that picture.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2009, 12:55:34 PM »

Oh sh*t...that's sad...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2009, 03:02:08 PM »

That´s a really moving picture... I never saw a photo of Carl later than 1996, you see how much ill he is, but I feel better when I see that he is happy. Carl had such a gentle smile. Thanks for all these pictures, they help us to keep the memory of Carl alive.

MBE
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2009, 04:10:23 PM »

Again I had trouble posting it, but I am glad I did if only to show that he had friends who cared and kept up his spirits.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2009, 05:01:28 PM »

That's exactly why I'm glad somebody finally posted a pic from the last few months of Carl's life. It's good to see him smiling.

BTW...who's the dude in the left side of the picture?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2009, 05:06:59 PM »

looks like jerry schilling

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2009, 05:17:05 PM »

He looks, to me, simply like a much older version of the Carl we all know and love..

- B00ts
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2009, 07:17:22 PM »

Unfortunately he looks like Rob Reiner.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Sports/nm_reiner_080701_ssv.jpg
MBE
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2009, 08:51:40 PM »

Carl never looked as bad as meat head! BTW that is Jerry.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 08:52:43 PM by MBE » Logged
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2009, 02:58:15 PM »

Awe thanks everyone for all the pix shared....

How sad though...but I'm glad Carl was smiling in that last pic. I can tell its Carl though. But Denny, on the other hand...that pic of him posted on the first page, doesnt even look like him.  Cry Cry Cry

Rest In Peace Carl & Dennis. Your greatly missed.

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
dennyschild
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2009, 05:46:48 PM »

I think this pic is from September 1983:

This is the DW i was told about. How he looked and dressed.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2009, 08:19:30 AM »

That would be the man, Denni......
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2009, 03:55:30 PM »

Actually, it would be more honest to say that was his look that week.  The man was such a chameleon, that at times it seemed he could change his look almost overnight!  Seriously, he could shave, and have a full-face beard the next week.  Ditto with the way his hair grew.  Heck, it was even somewhat true with his injuries; I remember him first struggling to play the piano after he had cut his hand so bad.  That led to him getting back behind the drums.  And, when he practically cut of his foot changing a water bottle at Carl's, they told him he'd never be able to move his toes again.  A couple of months later, he said "Look at that!"  and I watched him wiggle his toes...  Quite a unique individual, that man. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2009, 02:35:56 AM »

I've never heard about Dennis hurting his foot. When was that?

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2009, 07:46:08 AM »

i think the article came out around 1976. i had the magazine before the fire. he is shown with a photo of his motorcycle i think. was talking about pops saying not to get high, dennis smokes a joint, picks up the water bottle, drops it, watches it fall in slow motion and the broken glass cuts his tendons on his foot/toes. goes something like that.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 07:47:39 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2009, 10:05:28 AM »

Well, that's part of the story, but nothing was ever that simple with Dennis...
He was at Carl's house in Malibu, with Carl & Pop Hinsche, during the time when Carl had his back injury.  He was changing a Sparklets water bottle, the old glass kind, with the really thick glass bottom.  When it smashed, the curved bottom was sticking straight up in the air; he cut the bone on his foot almost all the way through! 
Being up in Malibu, they felt it quicker to rush him to the hospital in Santa Monica, rather than wait for an ambulance.  Pop & Carl, (with his bad back), got him into Carl's Bentley for the drive.  Carl later told me that all Dennis was concerned about was getting blood on the car's interior...
dennyschild
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2009, 12:21:28 PM »

It looks like he could handle pain very well, some can, other can't take a little scrape knee. I never been hurt like that, Im not sure which way I am.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2009, 12:45:14 PM »

Dennis hurt himself a lot. the first time it really affected the BB's was in early '63...right around the time Surfin USA was breaking...he broke an ankle when he smashed up Audree's Corviar, had to be replaced by Mark Groseclose for a few gigs, and then re-broke the ankle when he came back too soon and fell off the drum riser. There was also the story of him having a girlfriend in early '62 that gave him some reds, he reportedly passed out in the Wilson bathroom, hit his head on the toilet, went unconscious and had to be taken away in an ambulance. Dave Marks told me they thought he might have permanent brain damage, but no one was sure if it was from the toilet or the drugs... Dennis developed a serious stutter that lasted for about six months. All the stuff about him being wild and on the edge in later years was really well underway by the time the BB's formed a band. Of course there were breaks from the bad boy stuff too, just enough that people will jump in and say "Dennis wasn't like that at all, he was an angel". And yeah he had that side too. He was undoubtedly a good Samaritan at times and a real protector to those he cared for. But I've heard enough from enough credible people who were around to say he definitively earned that nickname...Dennis the Menace...and he earned it early, like at 10.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx