gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680897 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 05, 2024, 02:16:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys and vegetarianism  (Read 3410 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2007, 02:20:56 AM »

I read somewhere that Mike and Bruce are currently vegetarians. Does anyone know this for sure? How long have they been vegetarians? And are they for health reasons or out of principle?
MBE
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 05:17:09 AM »

Mike is because of his TM practice. Bruce I don't think is. Al tried it but gave it up.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 11:36:58 AM »

Bruce is definitely a vegetarian and has been since at least the '80s, probably earlier.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 11:38:08 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 02:08:43 PM »

So where exactly was that H.E.L.P. restaurant?  Yeah, I know--Fairfax and 3rd, but which corner?  Was it part of the Farmer's Market?  And what's there now?  How long did HELP last, and what years did it span?  (I could ask most of the same questions about Radiant Radish too...)
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 07:45:38 PM »

[/quote]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 07:52:33 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 07:59:07 PM »

Bruce is definitely a vegetarian and has been since at least the '80s, probably earlier.

No.  Saw Bruce down a whole plate of meat (yes meat, not veggie) laced lasagna backstage in 1993. Maybe he converted after. Jardine ate a hamburger.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 08:09:41 PM »

I wonder if Bruce changed his diet since his bypass surgery?
MBE
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 09:05:16 PM »

H.E.L.P. though known primarily today as a health restaurant, was also a grocery and lecture center. It was owned partially by Elvis Presley's friend Larry Geller.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 11:11:50 PM by MBE » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 10:33:44 PM »

stark naked in front of my mirror (ewww, mike naked?)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 12:05:41 AM »

So where exactly was that H.E.L.P. restaurant?  Yeah, I know--Fairfax and 3rd, but which corner?  Was it part of the Farmer's Market?  And what's there now?  How long did HELP last, and what years did it span?  (I could ask most of the same questions about Radiant Radish too...)

The Radish only lasted a year - it was located at 8700 West Melrose Avenue (at San Vicente Boulevard), and closed July 29th 1970. That night Brian Mike & Bruce were interviewed on KPFK by some guy called Jack Rieley.

Last I heard the location was a carpet warehouse.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 02:19:30 AM »

No.  Saw Bruce down a whole plate of meat (yes meat, not veggie) laced lasagna backstage in 1993. Maybe he converted after. Jardine ate a hamburger.

That doesn't say much. There's usually quorn in vegetarian lasagna, and quorn looks like meat. And of course there are also vegetarian hamburgers.
MBE
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 03:30:43 AM »

I think it didn't close that night. I have the original Rolling Stone article by Jack with the interview with Brian (very lucid) and they say the date and that he closed for the night. The photo of Brian in it in 1971 that was in the Nolan article makes me think I am correct.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 08:43:21 AM »

That doesn't say much. There's usually quorn in vegetarian lasagna, and quorn looks like meat. And of course there are also vegetarian hamburgers.

OK, you need more info.  I was right there talking with them.  It was Stouffers meat lasagna, they all complained about it (but not because it had meat.).  Bruce ate it.  Al disliked it so much he sent a roadie out to the Fairground midway to get him a "hamburger", which he then proceeded to eat.  As for Carl, he showed up late as usual and did not partake in the pre-show spread.  I did not see what Mike ate.  This was '93.  I saw the guys partake in many similar meals during that time period.   As for post '98, I have no idea.  And yes, I have far too much useless information.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 01:35:06 AM »

We know for a fact that Brian is not a vegetarian....!  Grin

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 10:47:19 AM »

Southbay, I was fortunate enough to dine with Bruce in 1996. The menus didn't list any vegetarian entrees, so he asked for a salad without meat and the restaurant graciously granted his request. (I had the grilled chicken salad, btw.) At the time, he told me he was a vegetarian. He's also said on the BBBritain message board that he's a vegetarian. It's possible he's not a strict practitioner, but it sure seems to be his preference.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 08:00:39 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 04:02:33 PM »

That well could be. As I said in my original post, this was 1993 and I suggested maybe he converted after that... Maybe he just said "what the heck" and ate what passes for meat in that Stouffers stuff. I don't know.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx