gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680911 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 08:32:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "commemorative releases" should we expect for the 50th anniversary?  (Read 129529 times)
SBonilla
« Reply #350 on: March 29, 2012, 05:01:13 AM »

A related reply from Ponghit after meeting Alan Boyd last week.  

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12489.75.html

"Live Again" is as great as rumored, but not a departure from Dennis's style of the period.
To me, it's derived from "Golden Slumbers," but with rounded edges.
Paulos
« Reply #351 on: March 29, 2012, 10:38:16 AM »

Glad to see that our little ray of sunshine is back, Phil, what is the obsession with the phrase 'CD product', you use it with strange regularity. As for the rest of your posts, this -  Violin
PhilCohen
« Reply #352 on: March 29, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »

Glad to see that our little ray of sunshine is back, Phil, what is the obsession with the phrase 'CD product'

It's a record industry term. I guess that term is familiar to me, since I was a CD box set compiler in the 1990's. "CD product" would cover all possibilities; newly recorded material, album remasters & reissues, compilations & box sets. It is all "CD product". Industries produce "Product".  The music biz is an industry. Pop music is an art form, but it is a commercial art form. The companies who market this commercial art are,collectively, an industry.
Paulos
« Reply #353 on: March 29, 2012, 12:16:39 PM »

Glad to see that our little ray of sunshine is back, Phil, what is the obsession with the phrase 'CD product'

It's a record industry term. I guess that term is familiar to me, since I was a CD box set compiler in the 1990's. "CD product" would cover all possibilities; newly recorded material, album remasters & reissues, compilations & box sets. It is all "CD product". Industries produce "Product".  The music biz is an industry. Pop music is an art form, but it is a commercial art form. The companies who market this commercial art are,collectively, an industry.

I would just say CD's, saves quite a lot of typing and people would still understand what you meant even with the superfluous 'product' missing. Oh, and I'm quite aware that the music industry treats everything as a product. You confuse me Phil, I looked back through some of your posts when you first joined this board and you seem to have a genuine passion for the band, which makes the position you have taken over the past 12 months all the more strange. I think you perhaps need a hug.  Hug
PhilCohen
« Reply #354 on: March 29, 2012, 02:05:16 PM »

It's a record industry term. I guess that term is familiar to me, since I was a CD box set compiler in the 1990's. "CD product" would cover all possibilities; newly recorded material, album remasters & reissues, compilations & box sets. It is all "CD product". Industries produce "Product".  The music biz is an industry. Pop music is an art form, but it is a commercial art form. The companies who market this commercial art are,collectively, an industry.

I would just say CD's, saves quite a lot of typing and people would still understand what you meant even with the superfluous 'product' missing. Oh, and I'm quite aware that the music industry treats everything as a product. You confuse me Phil, I looked back through some of your posts when you first joined this board and you seem to have a genuine passion for the band, which makes the position you have taken over the past 12 months all the more strange. I think you perhaps need a hug.  Hug

I do have a genuine passion for the band. Though I rarely go to concerts in the 21st century, the one time that I went to a Beach Boys concert was at a time when "Friends" was the group's latest album(the "Do It Again" single had been released, but the "20/20" album had yet to be released). The concert hall(Miami Beach Auditorium, now known as "The Theater of the Performing Arts") was nearly full, but no local department store had the "Friends" album, so I special ordered it(I had seen an advertisement for the album in a local music newspaper, and liked the colorful album cover). There were no dedicated record stores in my area until the end of 1968. I bought the "Friends" album because I had liked the group's previous albums. "Friends" didn't get any airplay. I hadn't heard the album before buying it.

In the 21st century ,the music industry has become a paranoid, belligerent "Big Brother" type of industry, but, obviously, older artists such as The Beach Boys(who are from an earlier era) are not to blame for what the music industry has recently become.
PhilCohen
« Reply #355 on: March 29, 2012, 03:14:47 PM »

It is a bit disappointing that the compiling of the proposed box set or outtakes collection is only beginning now(which is suggested by a forum member who recently met Alan Boyd), which reduces the chance that it will be released this year. Even if the compiling work, artwork & liner notes are completed in the next 90 days, Capitol may decide, after releasing a reunion album, that they don't want another "new" Beach Boys CD release competing against the reunion album.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 29, 2012, 03:27:22 PM »

Phil. You are making progress. Stay positive! Grin

For all we know those 86 (?) songs mentioned, or some of them, may already be well into being considered for a release this year. Ponghit was just asked his opinion. Probably not but any project could be more advanced than was let on.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 29, 2012, 03:28:48 PM »

*sigh* Phil, why do you predict doom for every BBs project...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: March 29, 2012, 03:45:24 PM »

The title of this thread is "What 'commemorative releases' should we expect for the 50th anniversary" ?  The answer, according to our resident voice of doom is "none whatsoever", thus I humbly suggest we close, indeed scrub, this whole thread, as we all know that what he says inevitably comes to pass and we are therefore only wasting our time here.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 29, 2012, 03:46:12 PM »

But we LIKE shooting fish in a barrel!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 29, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »

Even if the compiling work, artwork & liner notes are completed in the next 90 days, Capitol may decide, after releasing a reunion album, that they don't want another "new" Beach Boys CD release competing against the reunion album.

My guess, is that the Capitol/BB marketing plan will "flood" the market with "product" as you put it, inticing new and old fans to buy BOTH the new Beach Boys album AND some type of rarities/anthology release.  Both packages will be offered in several configurations.

Then, at the same time, announcements will be made about reconfigured catalog releases, all of them which will start to follow 3 - 12 months after the above.  MORE goodies and GREAT music.

The Beach Boys have a LOT going for them these days: the band has reunited for some EPIC concerts, and they are going to produce a new WONDERFUL record in the 21st century.  (Something the Beatles can't do, sadly.)

IT'S GONNA BE A TOTAL BLAST MAN

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 29, 2012, 03:48:55 PM »

A FREAKING BLAST!

PhilCohen
« Reply #362 on: March 29, 2012, 04:07:47 PM »

My prediction is, in the remaining months of 2012, some of the proposed projects will appear, while others will either be cancelled or "bumped" into 2013. And I would say, that if we don't have an announcement of a finalized title and track listing for the reunion album by early summer, that at least some of the archival projects are in doubt.....or at least in long-term limbo.

When is the time to start worrying? After five months of the Wall of Secrecy have passed(in mid-May 2012).  After all, a five month Wall of Secrecy is what we got after the initial announcement of the "Smile" project.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 29, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »

Worry??  I ain't worried at all. If it happens this year, great! If it happens in 2013, great!  It's really not gonna make much difference if new product is released in weeks, months, or years. It's completely out of our control. So why worry??

See?  No worries, no stress, no anxiety.  No runs, no hits, no errors, nobody left on.

Are you just trying to solicit attention here, Phil?   Do you like to bug people just to get their reactions?  Are you getting a big woodie when posters respond to you personally?  Just wondering.  Try to stay positive and have patience, son.  Good things come to those who wait.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:25:50 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 29, 2012, 04:38:46 PM »

Just a quick survey.

Last year if the SMiLE set was ready to go in August, would anyone have objected if Capitol had put it on hold until November for the original Holmes artwork alone?

It was delayed for whatever reason, be it artwork, new tracks or the information inclosed. Good things come to those who wait remember.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 29, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »

Phil-

what was your reaction to Friends when you heard it in '68?

how long had you been a fan? were you familiar with all the albums up to that point? how old were you, if you don't mind me asking?

how was the concert? was the Maharishi present? did they do any Friends songs? did you know that Brian was not part of the performing group? did you even know who Brian Wilson was specifically?

so many questions... I would love to hear more about the show, anything you may recall.

tell us more Phil! tear down this Wall of Secrecy!!!  Wink

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:22:27 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: March 29, 2012, 10:47:10 PM »

My prediction is, in the remaining months of 2012, some of the proposed projects will appear, while others will either be cancelled or "bumped" into 2013. And I would say, that if we don't have an announcement of a finalized title and track listing for the reunion album by early summer, that at least some of the archival projects are in doubt.....or at least in long-term limbo.

When is the time to start worrying? After five months of the Wall of Secrecy have passed(in mid-May 2012).  After all, a five month Wall of Secrecy is what we got after the initial announcement of the "Smile" project.

The album is being released June 5th to tie in with the TV special. I'm guessing the track list and title will be finalized before that.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 29, 2012, 10:52:50 PM »

The album is being released June 5th to tie in with the TV special. I'm guessing the track list and title will be finalized before that.

Happy birthday to me

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 29, 2012, 11:28:01 PM »

Has Christmas been cancelled guys? It's just that I haven't received a list of the presents I should be getting yet and I get the impression there some Wall of Secrecy going on. Anyone know the date? Maybe it's been bumped into 2013?

“We live in divisive times.”
PhilCohen
« Reply #369 on: March 29, 2012, 11:59:24 PM »

Phil-

how long had you been a fan? were you familiar with all the albums up to that point? how old were you, if you don't mind me asking?

how was the concert? was the Maharishi present? did they do any Friends songs? did you know that Brian was not part of the performing group? did you even know who Brian Wilson was specifically?

so many questions... I would love to hear more about the show, anything you may recall.

At the time of "Friends" release, I thought that it had only a few good songs, but over the years, the album's tranquil "vibe" grew on me, and the album is now one of my favorites. As for the concert, it was a good show. The group(without Brian or Maharishi) seemed to be playing on their own. There were no visible additional players. I was 12 years old at the time. Somewhere, I still have the concert program booklet, which was strictly photos, no information. I had been collecting Beach Boys records since late 1967, buying "Smiley Smile" first, then(in January 1968) "Wild Honey". In fact, I do remember buying "Wild Honey" at a local department store, buying The Rolling Stones' "Their Satanic Majesties Request" on the same visit. Many sources may describe "Wild Honey" as a December 1967 release, but it wasn't available in my area until January 1968.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:05:23 AM by PhilCohen » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 30, 2012, 03:24:10 AM »

Phil-

At the time of "Friends" release, I thought that it had only a few good songs, but over the years, the album's tranquil "vibe" grew on me, and the album is now one of my favorites. As for the concert, it was a good show. The group(without Brian or Maharishi) seemed to be playing on their own. There were no visible additional players. I was 12 years old at the time. Somewhere, I still have the concert program booklet, which was strictly photos, no information. I had been collecting Beach Boys records since late 1967, buying "Smiley Smile" first, then(in January 1968) "Wild Honey". In fact, I do remember buying "Wild Honey" at a local department store, buying The Rolling Stones' "Their Satanic Majesties Request" on the same visit. Many sources may describe "Wild Honey" as a December 1967 release, but it wasn't available in my area until January 1968.

It's really a shame they released it when they did. I think if they would have say on it until April/May/June it could have done much better. Darlin' is a summer single for sure and it came too quickly in the aftermath of the summer of love, nobody was ready for something like Wild Honey.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: March 30, 2012, 08:16:31 AM »

Many sources may describe "Wild Honey" as a December 1967 release, but it wasn't available in my area until January 1968.

Including the Capitol Records release sheet for the week ending December 24th 1967: it was released on Monday the 18th.

PhilCohen
« Reply #372 on: March 30, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »

Many sources may describe "Wild Honey" as a December 1967 release, but it wasn't available in my area until January 1968.

Including the Capitol Records release sheet for the week ending December 24th 1967: it was released on Monday the 18th.

But, in the 1960's in the U.S.A., even after an album's official release date, there would be a few weeks where you could hear an album's featured single on the (AM) radio, but the album would not(in reality) be available to purchase. This may(or may not) have been because the sellers of records were (typically) department stores during those days. In most parts of the U.S.A.(excepting New York City & Los Angeles), dedicated record stores began to appear simultaneous with the emergence of rock music on FM radio in late 1968; stations which played album tracks & "underground" music. I would know about these things, having lived during that era. I'm the same age as AGD.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 30, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »

Me too.  Days apart.

Christmas '67 I received The Beatles' "Yesterday & Today" album with a pasteover butcher cover.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 30, 2012, 10:40:29 AM »

Has Christmas been cancelled guys? It's just that I haven't received a list of the presents I should be getting yet and I get the impression there some Wall of Secrecy going on. Anyone know the date? Maybe it's been bumped into 2013?

"Wall of Secrecy" heh heh heh

Why not the Cone of Silence??

Evil

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx