gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680904 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 04:01:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SPOILER!!- Heroes and Villains and Good Vibrations from TSS  (Read 96445 times)
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2011, 06:07:51 PM »

Lol, like I almost did the day of the Box Set Leak!
I put on Alternate BWPS and meditated for the first time ever, ironically, waiting for H&V to come out, and look!

Banana

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2011, 06:27:18 PM »

I hate to be a bit of a downer here but I've listened to Heroes and Villians a few times now and just find it to be sort of muddy and not terribly clear when in comparison to the version off of Smiley Smile. It's nice that the cantina bit is included and the ending is great too but the entire thing from the vocals to the instrumentals just sounds a bit less clear than what I'm used to hearing.

Am I crazy? I've listened to it through a decent set of earbuds too and can't notice any real improvement in sound quality...
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2011, 06:30:18 PM »

I hate to be a bit of a downer here but I've listened to Heroes and Villians a few times now and just find it to be sort of muddy and not terribly clear when in comparison to the version off of Smiley Smile. It's nice that the cantina bit is included and the ending is great too but the entire thing from the vocals to the instrumentals just sounds a bit less clear than what I'm used to hearing.

Am I crazy? I've listened to it through a decent set of earbuds too and can't notice any real improvement in sound quality...
You are crazy

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2011, 06:37:08 PM »

I slightly agree, but then again, don't talk about quality till we've heard a lossless WAV (on the cds!)

thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2011, 06:37:37 PM »

I love the new Heroes and Villains mix! And I'm just now realizing that from now on when I listen to this song, or introduce this song to people, or eventually show my kids this music, it's going to be this version. Although the purple chick version sounds much clearer, that is probably just because it's in stereo. This is Heroes and Villains from the master tapes and I love it. Good Vibrations as well. So glad they kept the original lyrics and didn't use Asher's. When I saw the track length I was a little nervous. I'm not sure why they didn't just use the original single mix remastered, as that would have likely been the one used on the album, but oh well it still sounds great and it's something new.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2011, 06:38:43 PM »

damn....went to work in dad's garden tonight and just got home. missed all this...... lol
just my luck

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 30, 2011, 07:01:42 PM »

damn....went to work in dad's garden tonight and just got home. missed all this...... lol
just my luck

Just my luck: I go on vacation the day the set goes on amazon. Thankfully, I ordered the boxset at $110 from my cellphone lol. But I'm sad i've missed all the conversation! Really glad this is coming out, this set looks AMAZING!!!

Can't wait to listen to these new tracks (still on vacation haha).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2011, 07:09:35 PM »

so glad we have an official expanded version of Good Vibrations. i agree the single would have gone on the album in '67, but it's not '67 is it? the original single has been released plenty of times.

i gotta say, aside from sound quality, i still prefer my own personal 'H&V' mix.  Cool
theCOD
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2011, 07:47:10 PM »

Also: Sure, anyone else for MOJO?

Yes, please!  Smiley
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2011, 08:05:16 PM »

I've just loaded it into iTunes, Sure enough, the metadata was there, TRACK 3- THE SMiLE SESSIONS!

Also... If you can't get it on the site... PM Me....
Hi, I can't get on the site...well, I can, but I can't do anything, can't even sign up...I would like a pm...
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2011, 08:26:45 PM »

Alright, there's a mediafire link on page 2, please use that.
Also: I can't give out any more MOJO 45 mp3s because I don't
Feel right about that... So if anyone wants it please ask someone who already has it.

Thanks Smiley
I just can't copy and paste those 3 links a million times! Haha

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2011, 08:39:59 PM »

I wonder why the little theremin part got replaced by the toy siren (which sounds really shrill).

What do you all think of the extra silence before the chorus? And the added reverb?

I feel weird tonight. Somethings seems a little off. I think my brain is feeling the culmination of five straight days of absolute overload. Where is reality?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2011, 08:50:15 PM »

On youtube already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ck7iQxsk0

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2011, 08:54:31 PM »

Have I somehow stepped into an alternate reality? Or is this heaven? Am I alive or dead? If this is all a weird dream, please don't wake me up. I didn't even listen to it with headphones, but it still damn near lept out of the computer speakers at me. I don't think I've ever heard something sound so good in my whole life.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2011, 09:01:16 PM »

Please don't post bootlegs.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:14:49 PM by Manuel » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Song Of The Grange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2011, 09:10:59 PM »

This is actually not even a leak. It was put out by Capitol themselves.
So... It should be alright to post a link: http://www.mediafire.com/?z1ihxrro9wh5zv1

Thanks so much for this link clasclas!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2011, 09:22:02 PM »

WHY does the toy whistle come in so early?! THEY ARE FUKKING WITH OUR HEADS.

ghost
« Reply #142 on: August 30, 2011, 09:49:42 PM »

I don't really like the humbedum part of Good Vibrations. There was a reason it wasn't included in the single. Heroes and Villains sounds soulless without the Baldwin. These are my current thoughts.
ghost
« Reply #143 on: August 30, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »

We are the chosen few
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2011, 10:00:57 PM »

It's interesting that they decided to push up the backing vocals on "Heroes & Villains". It creates a decent leap in volume at 0:20 that's not there on the Smiley Smile version (where the background vocals are mixed lower). It's a different effect. I wonder if they're basing this new approach on a vintage Brian mix, or simply because they thought it sounded good?  Either way, I'm not complaining... I just wonder how they made these decisions.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2011, 10:08:03 PM »

The Heroes version on this official YouTube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ck7iQxsk0

Go to 1:26 into the track...what's with that edit? You can still hear the fluttertone horn from another section, and it sounds like one of the "La's" got snipped.

Is any of this a Brian edit from '67? If so, it may explain it since the higher quality audio reveals those edits and things that could be buried in '67. If not, I'm confused at what that might be...

That beautiful string coda is and always will be one of my favorite Smile sections or pieces of music in general. Best quality yet...awesome.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2011, 10:12:14 PM »

Go to 1:26 into the track...what's with that edit? You can still hear the fluttertone horn from another section, and it sounds like one of the "La's" got snipped.

Hmmm... I don't think any la's got snipped. And what you're actually hearing isn't the 'fluttertone' horn, but part of the original chorus arrangement that was previously buried by the organ overdub. I'm thinking it's a cello or some other string instrument making the noise, or maybe even a horn. Or both. I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:14:49 PM by Dada » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »

Both sound great, esp the backing vocals on H&V which sound much less muddy than before. But isn't using parts of Smiley Smile recordings going against the concept of The Smile Sessions?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2011, 10:28:16 PM »

Hmmm... I don't think any la's got snipped. And what you're actually hearing isn't the 'fluttertone' horn, but part of the original chorus arrangement that was previously buried by the organ overdub. I'm thinking it's a cello or some other string instrument making the noise, or maybe even a horn. Or both. I'm not sure.

It's the fluttertone horn note trailing off, and the hard consonant "L" of the La gets cut. I know what I heard. Smiley

Go back to the Smiley Smile 2-fer, and find track 23, the "alternate mix" of Heroes which I believe was a Chuck Britz mixdown.

Cue it up from exactly :18  to :25 into that track and you'll hear the exact same fluttertone extended over the verses. Not a cello, but the horn. On subsequent edits heard on the Britz mix, the fluttertone is heard then the trail-off is lopped off leading into other sections. That trail-off horn note is what the edit I pointed out on the "new" track seems to be. Hear those shortened horn notes at exactly :42 and 1:55 on that Britz mixdown. It may be a case where Brian did a primitive ProTools editing method there, where he'd use the same verse track, copy and paste it using razor blade editing (using real analog tape of course in 66-67), and record new verses over the same instrumental bed. He did it on Smiley Smile too.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2011, 10:30:36 PM »

Go to 1:26 into the track...what's with that edit? You can still hear the fluttertone horn from another section

That's always been there, you can hear it on the Smiley version.

and it sounds like one of the "La's" got snipped.

I wouldn't say sniped, but the Smiley edit sounds cleaner to me than this one. Also, on a side note, the equivalent sections of the Smiley version have more energy than this one. Do an A/B. Also, i really miss the "circus" organ phrases at the end of the verses. They're so damn good.

That beautiful string coda is and always will be one of my favorite Smile sections or pieces of music in general. Best quality yet...awesome.

Yeah. It gives me the chills in this version.

But the hum de dum part of GV is my favorite piece of music in existence. Needless to say, i am happy about its inclusion.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx