gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 04:16:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1974 BB Hinche film  (Read 8055 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2010, 07:10:12 AM »

I was watching this again recently and I noticed something that I didn't catch the first time.  Early in the film when Mike was asked what he thought of Van Dyke Parks, it was actually Dennis holding the camera. I don't know why I didn't catch that the first time. But Mike said something during that exchange that got me wondering. He said,"Have we fired Jimmy
Guercio?"  So was he being funny, or did he really not like Guercio as their manager?

I also have to mention that Mike seems very different behind the scenes then he does on stage or a tv interview. He is very serious and to himself. Or maybe he just wast very connected to that group of people.  Afro

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 07:37:21 AM »

I was watching this again recently and I noticed something that I didn't catch the first time.  Early in the film when Mike was asked what he thought of Van Dyke Parks, it was actually Dennis holding the camera. I don't know why I didn't catch that the first time. But Mike said something during that exchange that got me wondering. He said,"Have we fired Jimmy
Guercio?"  So was he being funny, or did he really not like Guercio as their manager?

I also have to mention that Mike seems very different behind the scenes then he does on stage or a tv interview. He is very serious and to himself. Or maybe he just wast very connected to that group of people.  Afro

Mike's actual words were (re: Van Dyke) "He's a producer, right ? Maybe we should fire Jimmy Guercio ?". It's my impression he was joking.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 06:11:42 PM »

Oops. I was quoting it by memory.

He may have been joking. But the phrase "I hope you are getting your rocks off" makes me wonder if there is something about Van Dyke or Jimmy Guercio that Mike really doesn't like. Or maybe he was refering to Dennis bugging him with the camera. I don't know, maybe its nothing.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 07:11:43 PM »

Dennis is obviously pushing Mike's buttons for recreation. Mike's issues with Van Dyke were no secret and Dennis was putting him on the spot...for fun. Mike saying "i hope you're getting your rocks off" confirms that. Guercio is  another third rail topic since Jim was basically "managing" them at this time, Mike's brother Steve was also directly in the mix and vying for that position. Dennis was getting a little under Mike's skin on purpose...and Mike does a fair job of deflecting the heat.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 08:28:52 PM »

Dennis is obviously pushing Mike's buttons for recreation. Mike's issues with Van Dyke were no secret and Dennis was putting him on the spot...for fun. Mike saying "i hope you're getting your rocks off" confirms that. Guercio is  another third rail topic since Jim was basically "managing" them at this time, Mike's brother Steve was also directly in the mix and vying for that position. Dennis was getting a little under Mike's skin on purpose...and Mike does a fair job of deflecting the heat.
We must always keep in mind they were cousins.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »

This raises an interesting question. We all know that in the last five or so years of Dennis's life, he and Mike pretty much hated each other. Mike usually ends up getting most of the blame. But after reading the above posting about Dennis egging on Mike, how much of the problem was actually caused by Dennis generally being an irritating asshole?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 08:46:48 PM »

This raises an interesting question. We all know that in the last five or so years of Dennis's life, he and Mike pretty much hated each other. Mike usually ends up getting most of the blame. But after reading the above posting about Dennis egging on Mike, how much of the problem was actually caused by Dennis generally being an irritating butthole?
23.8%
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 09:17:11 PM »

It's typical cousin, family behavior---males egging each other on, being buttholes to each other. At a certain point it crossed the line, but sometimes I think Dennis and Mike's relationship pre-1976 gets blown out of proportion a bit.

Just for fun, this is how I see the Wilson/Love dynamics:
-Dennis idolized Brian completely, was in many ways his greatest supporter in music and personal life and loved and cared for him deeply. As Stebbins said Dennis would've laid in front of a train for Brian.
-Carl was much the same way, became a bit more diplomatic as years wore on and he became the leader of the band. I would say that from the 2nd Landy era Carl and Brian were much more distant due to a variety of factors: Brian being estranged from the family, Carl having other issues to deal with. Remember that Desper said around 1970-71 Carl would often go up to Brian's room (when Brian was there) and consult him on music issues in a brother to brother fashion. My feeling is that they were very close during this period.
-Carl and Dennis had a loving, caring relationship for many years that cooled off after Carl got clean near the end of 1978. A good example is what Carli Munoz reported of the "It's Not Too Late" session---a very emotional session that was enhanced by the fact that a lot of sh*t was going on in there lives. From there Carl supports and helps finish and develop Dennis' contributions to the LA Light album, always welcomes his brother on stage, but gradually their relationship comes to a close as Dennis' spirals downward and Carl maintains stability. Carl was reportedly devastated at Dennis death.
-Brian, in my opinion, has never gotten over his brothers deaths---he roughed it through the post-Dennis days with fortitude but ever since Carl died he has, in my opinion, lost a bit of his spark. I remember Foskett saying how deeply their deaths hurt Brian and how Brian rarely, if ever, talks about it. Also remember that Brian has forced "Forever" off the live setlist because it brings back bad memories. Never forget that Brian tried to commit suicide in 1985.
-Mike and Carl, as far as I know, had very little contact outside of the band. Maybe a friendship, but I have no idea. It seems they stuck it out because it was family and business was business. I know they loved each other. I often think that Carl became more like Mike in the passing years and stayed in the band to keep the family together.

Perhaps I'm making the situation simplistic, but I just thought I'd make these points.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 01:38:11 AM »

This raises an interesting question. We all know that in the last five or so years of Dennis's life, he and Mike pretty much hated each other. Mike usually ends up getting most of the blame. But after reading the above posting about Dennis egging on Mike, how much of the problem was actually caused by Dennis generally being an irritating butthole?

Well... throwing up in the meditation room at Brother Studio (or using it to 'entertain' his lady friends)... walking on board the non-smoking plane puffing on a huge cigar... turning up drunk for gigs... poking fun at Mike's little TM speeches onstage... saying he hoped MIU would f*ck up Mike's karma (actually, I agree, but you don't say that in an interview).

But the clincher ? Marrying Shawn and having a child with her (only not in that order...). Yeah, I think that'd make me just a tad annoyed.  Roll Eyes

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 03:03:02 AM »

You forgot the shagging of the wives!!!!  Grin

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 04:14:56 AM »

You forgot the shagging of the wives!!!!  Grin

Oh yeah... I still cherish the memory of an interview a UK music paper did with Brian a few years ago: they asked if Dennis' music was an extension of his character and Brian's deadpan response was (I paraphrase slightly), "yeah, well, he had intercourse with many women - Mike's wife, my wife, Alan's wife".

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 10:59:29 AM »

You know, as much as we all love Dennis, to bang the wife of a cousin or close friend but especially brother is pretty low! As a rock star with the looks of an Adonis he could of had pretty much any lady he wanted so why he went looking so close to home to dump his nuts is a bit of a wonder.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:25:34 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 08:34:51 PM »

Strange that Dennis has to be the one labeled in this way, when this had to be one of the most bizarrely incestuous collection of people I've ever encountered.  I mean, is there anyone here that doesn't know Brian was romantically linked with all three Rovell sisters?  And that's just the tip of the iceberg...  Guess it's the price paid for looking like an Adonis!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 08:59:05 PM »

Strange that Dennis has to be the one labeled in this way, when this had to be one of the most bizarrely incestuous collection of people I've ever encountered.  I mean, is there anyone here that doesn't know Brian was romantically linked with all three Rovell sisters?  And that's just the tip of the iceberg...  Guess it's the price paid for looking like an Adonis!
It tends to be forgotten that Mike was married, what, six times...

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 09:19:18 PM »

I said tip of the iceberg...  Don't get me started...
Jason
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »

Didn't Rocky Pamplin say that Marilyn also had an affair with Carl?
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 09:43:49 PM »

Oh c'mon Ed Roach, sir, get STARTED! Its very boring out here.
C.Miller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 10:34:30 PM »

No, you can't rationalize this away like that. What both of them did is effed up, and they both should be called on it. it's not like Brian gets the free pass while Dennis gets crap for sleeping with Mike's wife. In fact, most of the time when I see the second incidence mentioned, it's used to laugh at Mike's expense. Dennis' womanizing is very rarely looked upon in a poor light by the fans as far as I have seen, so I see no problem in someone pointing out the fact that yeah, sleeping with your cousin's wife is pretty bad.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 10:20:25 AM »

As sweet a guy as he was, I do find it rather worrying that at the age of 21 Brian was welcomed with open arms into the Rovell household to date their 14 (or was it 15?) year old daughter. Either her parents were very liberal or very naive!  Shocked

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 10:37:39 AM »

As sweet a guy as he was, I do find it rather worrying that at the age of 21 Brian was welcomed with open arms into the Rovell household to date their 14 (or was it 15?) year old daughter. Either her parents were very liberal or very naive!  Shocked

It's documented in one of the books that Mae Rovell's view was "better under my roof than in the back seat of a car somewhere". At the time, Marilyn was 14, going on 15 to Brian's 20.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 12:41:56 PM »

Being raised in a family with a shallow sense of self-worth can create a lifetime of sexual boundary issues...obviously so for the Wilson lads (or at least Brian & Dennis).
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 02:49:17 PM »

Thank you!  That's kind of where I was headed, besides trying to defend Dennis' honor - which has always been difficult...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 11:18:57 PM »

Not to pick on him to much, but you would think that Dennis would have at least stayed away from any of Brian's female friends. I always thought that Dennis and Brian had a special relationship. You'd think that at least Brian would be off limits.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 05:45:50 AM »

In Dennis' last few years many felt as though his soul was gone. I remember when Barbara told me that back in 2002. Daryl Dragon also told me that he didn't recognize Dennis towards the end… Walked right by Dennis and didn't know who he was.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 09:34:54 AM »

Not to pick on him to much, but you would think that Dennis would have at least stayed away from any of Brian's female friends. I always thought that Dennis and Brian had a special relationship. You'd think that at least Brian would be off limits.
Like Dennis...Brian also hit on women constantly, and the boundaries of family apparently had no meaning to him. My Diane and The Little Girl I Once Knew are just two examples. Christ, Brian even hit on David Marks' mom! Karen Lamm told me that during her marriage to Dennis...Brian was constantly flirting with her and telling her she was too good for Dennis and that she should be with him. He got away with crap like that because he was "crazy"...but he knew what he was doing. And everyone here seems to be assuming that the other band members wives were "seduced" by Dennis...anyone think it might have been the other way around...that maybe Dennis was the one being chased? Brian, Mike and Dennis were all notorious womanizers, Dennis has the worst reputation because he was a little more blatant and prolific, but his brother and cousin were no slouches in their own way.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx