gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680934 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 05:23:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Did Al Jardine Leave the BB's?  (Read 12189 times)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:39:45 PM »

Did Al quit or was he forced out by Mike and Bruce?  What are the odds he will rejoin the traveling Beach Boys?
sofonanm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:31:58 PM »

Al is a Californian variety of the infamous gnomes and elfs that people like Terrence McKenna have seen on DMT. So, naturally, I assume he left the Beach Boys to re-join the Earth Coincidence Control Office on a different plane of existence.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:30:39 AM »

As far as I have seen, there has never been a complete answer given to this question.  We know that Al was "fired" by Mike.  However, we also know that Al was/is an equal partner in BRI with Mike, Brian (Melinda) and Carl (Jonah/Justyn).  Logically, this would mean that to get Al "fired" from the touring group, Mike would have had to get the votes of both Melinda and Carl's sons.  Did this in fact happen?  If so, why?  A more plausible explanation would be that MIke and Al decided to go separate ways, with each vying for the right to use the Beach Boys name.  We know that each was given a license to do so, but only Mike's was renewed (leading to the various legal actions), which was the likely a decision Melinda and Jonah/Justyn made on a $ basis.  If that is the true story, then the one question remains of how Mike was able to schedule the Jan. 98 Super Bowl performance without Al being invited, as we have heard that was Al's "first knowledge of being fired." Huh
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:58:40 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 08:50:34 AM »

As far as I have seen, there has never been a complete answer given to this question.  We know that Al was "fired" by Mike.  However, we also know that Al was/is an equal partner in BRI with Mike, Brian (Melinda) and Carl (Jonah/Justin).  Logically, this would mean that to get Al "fired" from the touring group, Mike would have had to get the votes of both Melinda and Carl's sons.  Did this in fact happen?  If so, why?  A more plausible explanation would be that MIke and Al decided to go separate ways, with each vying for the right to use the Beach Boys name.  We know that each was given a license to do so, but only Mike's was renewed (leading to the various legal actions), which was the likely a decision Melinda and Jonah/Justin made on a $ basis.  If that is the true story, then the one question remains of how Mike was able to schedule the Jan. 98 Super Bowl performance without Al being invited, as we have heard that was Al's "first knowledge of being fired." Huh
The entire issue between Mike and Al had to do with who was in charge of promotion/production/business of the Beach Boys live concerts and the friction began in '95 or '96...Al wanted things to stay the same as they had been for decades, Mike had a plan to take over that aspect of the business and when he did Al dissented. Carl's death was not the reason Al left. The whole story is in the Dave Marks book. BTW...when Mike, Bruce and Dave played the '98 Super Bowl it was as America's Band I believe, and not the BB's...Al learned about it when he saw it on TV.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 08:56:15 AM »

As far as I have seen, there has never been a complete answer given to this question.  We know that Al was "fired" by Mike.  However, we also know that Al was/is an equal partner in BRI with Mike, Brian (Melinda) and Carl (Jonah/Justin).  Logically, this would mean that to get Al "fired" from the touring group, Mike would have had to get the votes of both Melinda and Carl's sons.  Did this in fact happen?  If so, why?  A more plausible explanation would be that MIke and Al decided to go separate ways, with each vying for the right to use the Beach Boys name.  We know that each was given a license to do so, but only Mike's was renewed (leading to the various legal actions), which was the likely a decision Melinda and Jonah/Justin made on a $ basis.  If that is the true story, then the one question remains of how Mike was able to schedule the Jan. 98 Super Bowl performance without Al being invited, as we have heard that was Al's "first knowledge of being fired." Huh
The entire issue between Mike and Al had to do with who was in charge of promotion/production/business of the Beach Boys live concerts and the friction began in '95 or '96...Al wanted things to stay the same as they had been for decades, Mike had a plan to take over that aspect of the business and when he did Al dissented. Carl's death was not the reason Al left. The whole story is in the Dave Marks book. BTW...when Mike, Bruce and Dave played the '98 Super Bowl it was as America's Band I believe, and not the BB's...Al learned about it when he saw it on TV.
Yes, I have read the book, and I found that section to be the most compelling (for instance,  Al asking Dave "why are you here", when Dave returned to to the group during Carl's illness). And you're right , the super bowl group was billed as America's Band, I forgot that. Although I seem to recall the TV network actually referring to them as the Beach Boys. Still leaves the whole voting him out question unanswered, though.  Thanks, Jon.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:57:54 AM by southbay » Logged

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:08:32 AM »

When I watched the Super Bowl, they were introduced as the Beach Boys on tv.  This is kind of an interesting little sub-drama, sounds like Al was forced out, but why?  I remember seeing an ad for a concert called Beach Boys Friends and Family, and then the lawsuits started.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:16:19 AM »

When the announcement first came out about the Super Bowl appearance, BBFC was told emphatically by BRI that it was NOT a Beach Boys gig.

It's possible the TV announcer made an error....

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:17:26 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:21:12 AM »

We know that Al was "fired" by Mike.  However, we also know that Al was/is an equal partner in BRI with Mike, Brian (Melinda) and Carl (Jonah/Justyn).  Logically, this would mean that to get Al "fired" from the touring group, Mike would have had to get the votes of both Melinda and Carl's sons.  Did this in fact happen?  If so, why?

I think you have jumped to a scenario/conclusion that might not be correct. As the Licensor BRI hands the rights to the use of the "Beach Boys' trademark to the licensee, Mike Love. Mike then has sole power of hire & fire of staff and the licenor, BRI, has no say in it. I have not come across a licensing agreement where the licensor can control the licesee's power of hire & fire and how they manage the day to day running of the business - provided they are not in breach of the terms and conditions of the licence agreement. Obviously Mike was not in breach of the licence agreement because BRI (including Al as a shareholder) did not instigate termination of the licence agreement because of a breach of the terms & conditions.

I hope that made sense.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 11:02:28 AM »

I don't think any individual had control of the group or trademark at the time Al quit, I don't think Mike could have fired Al anymore than Al could have fired Mike.

Didn't Al allegedly want to arrange a series of concerts including Brian but Brian didn't want to go along and Mike didn't want to go along if Brian didn't and Al allegedly proposed replacing Mike with Peter Cetera?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 11:28:09 AM »

My recollection of the events as they unfolded, backed by the recollections of those close to the event, is that Al wasn't fired per se, but just chose not to carry on with Mike & Bruce (who, btw, were being billed as "America's Band featuring Mike Love of The Beach Boys" from April 9th (last show with Alan) until July 18th 1998, the day after he signed the so-called 'Love License' - the perception is that as America's band, they had trouble getting the crowds in). He stated in several interviews that without Carl, it was pointless calling themselves The Beach Boys.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 02:47:16 PM »

We know that Al was "fired" by Mike.  However, we also know that Al was/is an equal partner in BRI with Mike, Brian (Melinda) and Carl (Jonah/Justyn).  Logically, this would mean that to get Al "fired" from the touring group, Mike would have had to get the votes of both Melinda and Carl's sons.  Did this in fact happen?  If so, why?

I think you have jumped to a scenario/conclusion that might not be correct. As the Licensor BRI hands the rights to the use of the "Beach Boys' trademark to the licensee, Mike Love. Mike then has sole power of hire & fire of staff and the licenor, BRI, has no say in it. I have not come across a licensing agreement where the licensor can control the licesee's power of hire & fire and how they manage the day to day running of the business - provided they are not in breach of the terms and conditions of the licence agreement. Obviously Mike was not in breach of the licence agreement because BRI (including Al as a shareholder) did not instigate termination of the licence agreement because of a breach of the terms & conditions.

Right, should have said we "heard" he was fired, not we "know" he was fired.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 02:48:14 PM »

My recollection of the events as they unfolded, backed by the recollections of those close to the event, is that Al wasn't fired per se, but just chose not to carry on with Mike & Bruce (who, btw, were being billed as "America's Band featuring Mike Love of The Beach Boys" from April 9th (last show with Alan) until July 18th 1998, the day after he signed the so-called 'Love License' - the perception is that as America's band, they had trouble getting the crowds in). He stated in several interviews that without Carl, it was pointless calling themselves The Beach Boys.
This scenario would indeed appear to make the most sense...

The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »

I can understand why Al would feel that way; obviously, there would be a huge hole in the band without Carl. But I wonder if now, ten years later, if he still feels that way.  Undecided
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 05:44:54 PM »

I can understand why Al would feel that way; obviously, there would be a huge hole in the band without Carl. But I wonder if now, ten years later, if he still feels that way.  Undecided
I don't know, I'm sure plenty of people feel that way.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 02:57:43 PM »

In a related , where is it now question; Does anyone know the result of Al and Mike's out of court settlement last year?

Brian was even in court one day and then it was announced they had settled.  No details.

The only recent event between them is Mike singing on Al's solo album (Don't Fight the Sea).

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jason
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 10:45:33 PM »

The suits were dropped. All three are getting along well with each other. Brian (Melinda) doesn't want a reunion though. But that's another THREAD.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 10:50:35 PM »

Thanks - I was curious as I've never heard any details of the conclusion.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jason
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 12:03:49 AM »

And about Bruce assisting Mike in forcing Al out of the band, Bruce is the Southern California version of the Queen of England. He looks nice, smells nice, and always has a smile on his face. And every night he sits on a throne singing the same tune. Only problem is that people just don't care.

That, and he isn't a member of BRI.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 10:46:11 AM »

This scenario would indeed appear to make the most sense...

But didn't Al sue for the right to call his post-Carl band "The Beach Boys" and didn't Al try to arrange a series of post-Carl  "Beach Boys" concerts?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 02:16:54 PM »

And about Bruce assisting Mike in forcing Al out of the band, Bruce is the Southern California version of the Queen of England. He looks nice, smells nice, and always has a smile on his face. And every night he sits on a throne singing the same tune. Only problem is that people just don't care.

Awwwwwww! The guy DID write Disney Girls!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 04:28:21 PM »

But he used to be, until he sold his share back to BRI.

Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 04:44:01 PM »

But he used to be, until he sold his share back to BRI.

Andrew, this statement has always confused me, maybe you could clarify:

According to Jon Stebbins' interview w/ Al Jardine for the Lost Beach Boy, Al said he wasn't made a member of BRI until 1973.  Bruce left in what, 1972?  So does that mean they asked Bruce to be a partner before Al ?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 01:54:48 AM »

Y'know... that's a damn good question - it's possible he means he was made a member 2nd time around then sold his share back. I'll ask him.

Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 06:50:29 AM »

Bruce is a very smart man when it comes to ownership / publishing / etc - so  I highly doubt he was offered a partnership in BRI after he returned in 1978 (?) and then sold it back but continued to work on a per diem basis as a glorified sideman for 30 years.  It makes sense to me that Bruce "sold back" rights to receive artist's royalties from Capitol when he left in 1972, not necessarily corporate ownership in BRI...so I will be very interested in hearing what he has to say.  Thanks, Andrew!

Jason
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 08:09:25 PM »

Al was invited to join BRI in '73 around the Holland period. At one point in 1980 or 1981 he was president of Brother Records. It makes no sense that Bruce would be offered shares in BRI before Al unless Al just didn't want a part of the family business. But then again, both are incredibly money-minded, so that's anyone's guess.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx