gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680935 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 06:22:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys & The Everly Bros: Don't Worry, Baby 1988  (Read 5242 times)
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2009, 11:27:35 PM »

This past week I've been discovering the Everly Brothers beyond what I've always heard on the radio.  I didn't realize they recorded a cover of "Don't Worry, Baby" in 1988 for their "Some Hearts" album featuring the Beach Boys.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this recording, as well as session details & which particular Beach Boys participated in that recording?

I was surprised in hearing this song (I liked it) in that it didn't have all of the synthesizers/drum machines/artificial sounds of that period that I don't particularly like.  I thought it stayed very true to the original version.  I have a feeling I'd enjoy more of the Beach Boys' later stuff in the 1980s/early 90s if they had incorporated more of an organic/live instrumentation approach to their sound.  Consequently, their music from that period sounds really dated to me.
MBE
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 12:29:47 AM »

I have been collecting the original Everly's LP"s in the past few months myself. They really did some great work through the early 70's. Don't Worry Baby is indeed pleasent. Carl, Mike, Al, and Bruce should all be on it.  A lot of music from oh 83 to 93 by a lot of groups would have been much better with real instruments. The Beach Boys were pretty bad offenders (as was Brian solo) in this area but in their defense they weren't alone.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 04:25:51 PM »

The Everlys were great. A deeper look into their catalogue is always fascinating. Someone posted a picture of Dennis and Brian with the Everlys in '66 awhile back in the picture-thread.

I think Brian sounds a little off-key on that recording. I'm not really a fan of it but apart from the 25 years together special it's he only time we have both groups recording together...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:40:45 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »

A little trivia....the song (actually a snippet) appeared in the movie Tequila Sunrise; how or why I have no idea....

Even though I liked Lorrie Morgan's version, they could've put The Everly Brothers' version of "Don't Worry, Baby" on Stars & Stripes and given another song to Lorrie. Oh well, maybe they can put it on Vol. 2. Grin
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 06:57:40 PM »

A little trivia....the song (actually a snippet) appeared in the movie Tequila Sunrise; how or why I have no idea....

Not only did it appear in "Telquila Sunrise" (and on its soundtrack CD), but it was a remix that featured some BB harmonizing as well as some Everly vocal bits during what is the instrumental break on the original 1964 version (the Everlys' original mix only has their vocals during this secion).

This remix is the one that Capitol issued as a US 45 in 1988 to promoto the soundtrack CD.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 06:58:59 PM »

Ok,  I wasn't sure if Brian was on "Don't Worry Baby" in 1988 with the rest of the group, so thanks for clearing that up, Rocker.  

I've also got Bill Medley's "Damn Near Righteous" album from 2007 with Brian, Phil Everly, & Bill harmonizing on "In My Room."  I'm assuming that's the only other time that an Everly has appeared with a Beach Boy.  I thought "In My Room" really sounded good, especially listening to the 1st part of the song where only their voices are present.  Jeffrey Foskett's on that, too.

Here's another question:  have the Beach Boys ever referenced The Everlys as being an inspiration to their tight harmonies?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 07:00:41 PM »

Here's another question:  have the Beach Boys ever referenced The Everlys as being an inspiration to their tight harmonies?
I'd think "Devoted To You" being on Party! answers that question.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 07:03:11 PM »

Thanks for that, Luther.  I still don't have a lot of the Beach Boys' pre-1966 albums yet, but I'm getting there.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 07:18:15 PM »

If you haven't heard that track, you're in for a treat. It's really beautiful. Also, while I might be imagining this, I think in Endless Harmony (DVD) Mike mentions singing Everly Bros tunes at the family get-togethers.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »

No, I hadn't heard "Devoted To You" from the "Party!" LP.  I just went to iTunes & listened to snippets of both of them:  the version on "Hawthorne: CA" sounds better to me with just the emphasis on group vocal/acoustic guitar.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 07:33:11 PM »

No, I hadn't heard "Devoted To You" from the "Party!" LP.  I just went to iTunes & listened to snippets of both of them:  the version on "Hawthorne: CA" sounds better to me with just the emphasis on group vocal/acoustic guitar.

The version on Hawthorne is just the Party! track without all the Party! overdubs Smiley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 07:33:53 PM »

I've seen a few interviews where Mike Love mentions "sitting in his car with Brian" or "walking home" from somewhere and singing/harmonizing to Everly Brothers' songs.

Also, on The Beach Boys' 1989 TV series, Mike and I believe Brian discuss their fondness for The Everly Brothers. They sing a snippet of "Bird Dog" and the entire "All I Have To Do Is Dream". It's during the campfire sing-a-longs and Brian is really into it.

On the Hawthorne CD, there's a little spoken intro (taken from an interview) from Mike Love where he discusses The Everly Brothers, then leads directly into "Devoted To You".

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:37:50 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 07:40:02 PM »

there's the track "Mike on The Everly Brothers" on the Hawthorne set
 Smiley

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 08:05:44 AM »

I've seen a few interviews where Mike Love mentions "sitting in his car with Brian" or "walking home" from somewhere and singing/harmonizing to Everly Brothers' songs.

Also, on The Beach Boys' 1989 TV series, Mike and I believe Brian discuss their fondness for The Everly Brothers. They sing a snippet of "Bird Dog" and the entire "All I Have To Do Is Dream". It's during the campfire sing-a-longs and Brian is really into it.

On the Hawthorne CD, there's a little spoken intro (taken from an interview) from Mike Love where he discusses The Everly Brothers, then leads directly into "Devoted To You".

It was on the "25 Years Together" TV special, Mike and Brian introducing the Everly's.  They both stated (per David Leaf's script) that they (with Mike's sister) would walk home from church singing Everly Brothers songs.  Or something like that.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 08:10:43 AM »

That version is just so beautiful imho.

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI23swQQ-FY

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 08:48:12 AM »

There is a ton of Beach Boys/Everly Brothers connection, including the fact that the '63 Beach Boys were on the same tour circuit of the midwest and caught some flak generated by the Everlys behavior...see Dave Marks book for details. Also, Dave's parents were very close to Phil Everly in the late '60's and '70's which also gets some attention in the book.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 05:44:32 PM »

There is a ton of Beach Boys/Everly Brothers connection, including the fact that the '63 Beach Boys were on the same tour circuit of the midwest and caught some flak generated by the Everlys behavior...

And they always look so nice...  Grin

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:07:56 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 06:40:11 AM »

That version is just so beautiful imho.

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI23swQQ-FY

Though the whole thing does reek a bit of eighties cheese, I love that whole campfire session and thought they did some beautiful and genuinely heartfelt singing there. All I Have To Do Is Dream and Be My Baby in particular make me wish they did an eighties Party! album assembled from these very recordings. So much fun watching Brian and Mike interact here as well.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 01:47:27 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y61YZLsSO3c&feature=related

It is not completely on topic, but here's an interview where the EB talk a little about the then upcoming surfing scene in southern California. It's from '63

- Jack Rieley
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 12:15:15 AM »

My mother is a big Everlys fan so I grew up with their albums playing all the time when I was little. The comeback albums they did in the mid 80s ('EB84' and 'Born Yesterday') are really fine albums, 'Some Hearts' is less good but it was here that I heard 'Don't Worry Baby' for the first ever time and at that age didn't really know it wasn't an Everly's song.

It wasn't until I was watching Baywatch a few years later (Hmmm..) that I saw the BB on there doing 'Don't worry Baby' (sung by what I later found out was Matt Jardine?) and then sort of realised it was in fact a BB song.
For those interested in that fascinating cultural collaboration, I found it on youtube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=intgdukJneg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMuttARP05Q

It truly stinks - (Can't believe they did 'summer in Paradise' too!)!!!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 12:44:21 AM »

I'd like to grab the opportunity and make a firm case for:

The Everly Brothers: 'Roots'

(available on WB Archives for a budget price)

Stunning orchestral country album, songs interlaced with authentic snippets from the Everly Brothers Family Radio Hour. It never fails to move me. Lenny Waronker produced, and Nick de Caro did the string arrangements. Vaguely the mood of 'Song Cycle' hangs over it, although it is much more straight, of course. The Brothers never sang more tenderly, carefully. And the reworking of their own 'I Wonder If I Care As Much'... should be in my all time top ten of great songs.

Listen.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 06:16:44 AM »

I'd like to grab the opportunity and make a firm case for:

The Everly Brothers: 'Roots'

(available on WB Archives for a budget price)

Stunning orchestral country album, songs interlaced with authentic snippets from the Everly Brothers Family Radio Hour. It never fails to move me. Lenny Waronker produced, and Nick de Caro did the string arrangements. Vaguely the mood of 'Song Cycle' hangs over it, although it is much more straight, of course. The Brothers never sang more tenderly, carefully. And the reworking of their own 'I Wonder If I Care As Much'... should be in my all time top ten of great songs.

Listen.

Yes, it's a great album !
I wonder if any of the EBs was ever interviewed about the Beach Boys and what was said. I guess they must have been quite thrilled of the harmonies.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx