gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680948 Posts in 27622 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 04:55:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gigs & sessions for 1989 now up...  (Read 3223 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2009, 05:39:38 AM »

... here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/gigs89.html

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 07:25:21 AM »

Note on the June 2nd Eagle Raceways gig in Lincoln:  "This show was interrupted by heavy rains" is putting it mildly...the Boys played their set, Chicago came on and midway into their second number, the high winds kicked in so they evacuated the stage right before the roof came down on it.  Then the hail began.  Thousands of people making a mad rush to their cars in the driving wind, rain, and hail.  It was so bad I actually thought I was gonna drown.  And the all-dirt parking field?  By now it was a field of mud...which meant a couple thousand of us spent the night in our cars in that field, as a single tractor made the rounds pulling cars out one-by-one.  My buddy and I got "liberated" about 6:00am the following morning...plenty of time to make it back to Omaha, clean up, and get to work on time.  Smiley
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 12:43:25 PM »

Going back to 88, Bruce mentioned that Brian performed with the BB at the Hollywood bowl in that year. Does anyone have those dates?

Also, does anyone have any contemporary reviews of Bri's performances with the BB in 88-89?? I'd LOVE to read them...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 01:57:46 PM »

I think that Bruce was referring to the early 1989 app there-or perhaps the LA Coliseum show in Nov 1988...I don't think I am missing a 1988 Hollywood Bowl app...but I am happy to correct the list if you have some evidence
MBE
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 03:17:33 PM »

I think the feeling at the time when Brian would do his solo set was why wasn't he in the whole show. It seemed almost cold just to have him walk on or off.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 03:31:56 PM »

I remember Brian coming out at the Hollywood Bowl and singing a couple of songs solo, one of them was In My Car.  It might have been during a Beach Boys/Chicago concert.  He actually did well, more stage presence than he has now.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 03:47:45 PM »

Right-that was the 1989 Hollywood Bowl show-with Chicago
Wilsonista
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 04:11:40 PM »

I am 99% sure that the concert in Shediac, NB, Canada did NOT have Chicago on the bill.  I didn't get to go to the show, but I remember vividly the marketing push for this show (the Maritimes did not get very many "big" concerts at the time) and I don't recall Chicago being mentioned at all.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 06:16:05 PM »

Great-I don't have the venue for that Shediac show-Do you know where the show was held?
Wilsonista
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 07:11:51 PM »

Parlee Beach. It was an outdoor concert venue.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 07:49:43 AM »

Andrew, you've probably been asked this question before on this board, but have you thought of releasing a (preferably illustrated) book with all the lists on your site? I'd buy that in a heartbeat... It sure would beat that stack of loose printed pages I have now...
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 08:32:17 AM »

No info on the Still Cruisin, Island Girl or SNJ sessions?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 08:38:56 AM »

@ Ian: there´s one concert missing in the "Good Vibrations Tour 89":

Friday, September 1, 1989, Waldbühne Berlin, Germany

and maybe you can eliminate two mistakes in writing:

September 2, Hannover
September 14, Schleyerhalle
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 10:31:41 AM »

Thanks for the info-I informed AGD.  By the way-I think that a book will appear someday-but it helps to be methodical-doing each year-has resulted in a wealth of info being uncovered-whereas if we'd rushed out a book last year-we'd be missing tons of things.  Examples-in last week I uncovered another 1966 show (Aug 14 1966-Fort William Gardens, Thunder Bay, Ontario) and two weeks ago found another 1965 show (Utica, NY-Sept 3 1965)...plus we learned that Settle Down was working title of Sounds of Free-so it helps to take time and get it right- that being said-ANYBODY WHO HAS INFO FOR ANY MISSING SHOWS-speak up please-always want more info or corrections
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 11:03:45 AM »

Andrew, you've probably been asked this question before on this board, but have you thought of releasing a (preferably illustrated) book with all the lists on your site? I'd buy that in a heartbeat... It sure would beat that stack of loose printed pages I have now...

It's been considered...  Roll Eyes

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 12:59:06 PM »

...but?  Smiley
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 01:42:19 PM »

o, o goodie !!!

EDIT: btw, ignore the cow, I am actually serious. I'd buy it in a heartbeat as well. 2 of them, for that matter.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 11:33:27 PM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 10:46:27 AM »

1990 just went live. Enjoy, comment, criticise... the usual.  Grin

Question - how long did it take the band to play a gig in all 50 states ?

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »

1990 just went live. Enjoy, comment, criticise... the usual.  Grin
It's interesting to see how close the band came to breaking up in 1990-91; Carl, Alan and Mike were all absent from shows and then Al's absense before and during most of the SIP sessions.

QUESTION: Will there be more info on the Sweet Insanity sessions?

Also, you might want to fix the ESQ Beach Boys Convention footnote...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 11:31:44 AM by TdHabib » Logged

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
MBE
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 05:33:07 PM »

Werid Al's name is Yankovic
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx