gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680964 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 08:34:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 211815 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: February 26, 2013, 09:02:25 AM »

Box is career-spanning, not fan-selective. "Surfin'" to "TWGMTR" and all stops inbetween. Plus a few branch lines and disused stations.

SIP is in there somewhere, are you really suggesting we brace ourselves for a disc of The Summer In Paradise Sessions?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: February 26, 2013, 09:06:58 AM »

Whaddya mean, BRACE OURSELVES? Now it's the only lost Beach Boys album we have! THEY NEED TO RELEASE IT

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: February 26, 2013, 09:08:08 AM »

So, we're getting Sounds of Summer mixed with Warmth of the Sun?

Nope - six CDs covering the bands career from 1961-2012. With rarities and previously unreleased material. This is the last time anything like this will be compiled, so - and call me crazy here - I'm guessing the compilers will get it right. But this isn't another Hawthorne CA which was aimed squarely at the hard-core fans and sold about as well as you'd imagine such a product would: it's a career spanning box for them as wants one, hence the following will be included:

Top 40 hits
'classic' cuts
deep catalog material
live material
rarities
unreleased tracks which, I'm sure will please and also infuriate all here.

I can't wait for those unreleased tracks.
YES!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: February 26, 2013, 09:14:50 AM »

Whaddya mean, BRACE OURSELVES? Now it's the only lost Beach Boys album we have! THEY NEED TO RELEASE IT
I want an SIP sessions box where you can hear Mike and Al arguing. Also hear the skits Mike, Bruce, and John Stamos made that are weirder than the SMiLE crew's.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: February 26, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »

LOL 100% agreement!

Mike: We need more reverb on those drums
Computer Technician: Mike, reverb levels are already at 100%....that's as much as this program allows
Mike: WE NEED MORE REVERB. Screw it. I'll sing some more deep bass lines as a substitute.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: February 26, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »

LOL 100% agreement!

Computer Technician: Mike, reverb levels are already at 100%....that's as much as this program allows
Mike: WE NEED MORE REVERB. Screw it. I'll sing some more deep bass lines as a substitute.
Al: Mike, We need to change the Setlist.
Mike: The cheerleaders' changing routines will be out of sync.
Al: f*** the Cheerleaders Mike, we are band, not a cheerleader show
Mike: Its what the fans want
Al: No, Its what you want Mike. I wish Brian still ran the group.
Mike: don't bring cousin Brian into this ....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: February 26, 2013, 09:36:02 AM »

Genius ! Grin

59 to go…

“We live in divisive times.”
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: February 26, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »

LOL 100% agreement!

Mike sits at the piano, pensively, while a flurry of activity occurs around him. An orchestra sets up behind a baffle behind me, whilst a crew of session musicians tune up, smoke cigarettes, and sip on coffee. An engineer is testing cables. Al has misplaced his box for vocal recording, so merely grunts in agreement whilst staring resentfully up at his microphone.
"See, Surfin' can happen another way." He says to me. When I ask why, he motions over to Bruce, incongruously standing behind Mike with a boombox on his shoulder, Pacifico nearly drained.

"Hit it."

Bruce takes one last pull off his beer before pressing play. A beat of shocking intensity echoes through the studio. Mike springs up from the stool, and starts rapping the lyrics with a flow so dazzling, so brutal, that everyone in the room stops dead, their eyes drawn to Mike as he then proceeds to body the hapless Al in eight bars.

During this display Carl, the ever stoic youngest Wilson, appears to mouth a silent prayer.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:07:47 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: February 26, 2013, 10:41:24 AM »

LOL LOL BriansBathrobe and Hypehat have nailed it.

I can't wait for these session highlights on MiC Tongue

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: February 26, 2013, 01:50:47 PM »

So I'm starting to wonder, is this box set just the Good Vibrations box set part deux..

Sort of what the Warmth of the sun is to Sounds of Summer.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: February 26, 2013, 02:16:51 PM »

So I'm starting to wonder, is this box set just the Good Vibrations box set part deux..

neither. it is to GVbox what Smiley was to Smile, a massive WTFFFFF
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: February 26, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »

*Mind blown*

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: February 26, 2013, 02:20:42 PM »

To me, it seems like it'll be an updated version of the GV boxset...just with a little more edge to it. So I'd expect Sounds of Summer, with a bit of WOTS (to add to your analogy).

I'm going to be ecstatic when more tracks from the Life Suite are seen on the tracklisting Cheesy

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: February 26, 2013, 03:36:31 PM »

I think we need to stop worrying. The last box just won a Grammy. I don't see "fail" or "disappointment" being part of the plan this time.

“We live in divisive times.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #964 on: February 26, 2013, 04:00:02 PM »

I agree with John

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: February 26, 2013, 04:15:32 PM »

To me, it seems like it'll be an updated version of the GV boxset...just with a little more edge to it. So I'd expect Sounds of Summer, with a bit of WOTS (to add to your analogy).

I'm going to be ecstatic when more tracks from the Life Suite are seen on the tracklisting Cheesy

I'm kinda confused as to what everybody is expecting. I mean, I'm basically expecting a box not unlike maybe The Band's A Musical History. It will go through their history with both already released and previously unreleased material. I'd expect more unreleased material than The Band's set just by virtue of the fact that The Beach Boys have a lot more unreleased stuff. Probably some new stereo mixes (some more Wild Honey stuff?), the hits (maybe some in an alternate form), live versions of things (maybe "Please Let Me Wonder" from Chicago '65, "Wild Honey" from '72, etc), and of course previously unreleased material. I'm not expecting like ľ of the box to be unreleased songs, but I'm sure we will get the stuff we've all been really clamoring for. I don't see how "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" and the 1974 "California Feelin'" won't make it. I read an interview from a few years ago where Alan Boyd singles out "Live Again", "California Feelin'" 1974, "Where Is She", "Goin' To The Beach", and "I'll Always Love You" as wonderful unbooted songs. So while I know AGD has said Alan might not be involved, I would still assume that he pushed for those to be included. And that's what, five songs? I'm pretty sure we will get like 30 to 50 great unreleased tracks.

I have to say though, one thing that will bug me, is if people complain that previously booted material is on the set. I see this happen a lot, whether for classic rock and pop, or even newer hip-hop, and I can never understand why people think that just because something was booted it doesn't deserve an official release and a wider audience.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #966 on: February 26, 2013, 05:16:08 PM »

I can never understand why people think that just because something was booted it doesn't deserve an official release and a wider audience.

Not to mention the increase in quality.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 26, 2013, 05:17:24 PM »

I can never understand why people think that just because something was booted it doesn't deserve an official release and a wider audience.

Not to mention the increase in quality.

Exactly - what I wouldn't give for Stevie in proper quality....

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: February 26, 2013, 05:42:51 PM »

I'm kinda confused as to what everybody is expecting.

Well my impression when we first got the press release regarding future releases was that the "50 Big Ones" compo was going to take care of the hits and the box set was going to be focused on rarities and unreleased material. A good analogy would be how the Smile BOX SET was for hard core fans and the 2 disc and 1 disc was for the everyday consumer. So in this case 50 big ones was for the causal fan and MIC is for us.

It's not so unrealistic considering The Beach Boys have so many unreleased tracks.

Do we really need more disc space used up for another version of "California Girls" or "Babara Ann". NOBODY is buying those songs again especially with a price tag of over 100 bucks.

I'm sure most of us here if we got access to the vaults could assemble a pretty stellar track listing of unreleased Beach Boys material over the course of six discs without going near 'good vibrations'.

But now I realise capitol's real agenda for MIC I'll settle for one or two discs of hits. Anymore than that I'll feel this was a lost opportunity

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 26, 2013, 05:50:54 PM »

I'm totally down for 1 or 2 discs of hits.

Or a tracklisting that has a session highlight, a hit, a deep cut, unreleased song, then do that sequencing over again. Is this set supposed to be in chronological order? (sorry if that's been answered)

Ahhh! too many questions! Not enough answers! Ahhh!

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: February 26, 2013, 06:00:19 PM »

I'm kinda confused as to what everybody is expecting.

Well my impression when we first got the press release regarding future releases was that the "50 Big Ones" compo was going to take care of the hits and the box set was going to be focused on rarities and unreleased material. A good analogy would be how the Smile BOX SET was for hard core fans and the 2 disc and 1 disc was for the everyday consumer. So in this case 50 big ones was for the causal fan and MIC is for us.

It's not so unrealistic considering The Beach Boys have so many unreleased tracks.

Do we really need more disc space used up for another version of "California Girls" or "Babara Ann". NOBODY is buying those songs again especially with a price tag of over 100 bucks.

I'm sure most of us here if we got access to the vaults could assemble a pretty stellar track listing of unreleased Beach Boys material over the course of six discs without going near 'good vibrations'.

But now I realise capitol's real agenda for MIC I'll settle for one or two discs of hits. Anymore than that I'll feel this was a lost opportunity

It's a career-spanning boxset, you have to keep that in mind. It's not a rarities box. Rarities will have their place, but this thing is gonna go on shelves of major retailers - they aren't looking to just sell to Smiley Smile and Steve Hoffman forum members.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #971 on: February 26, 2013, 06:02:35 PM »

So, we're getting Sounds of Summer mixed with Warmth of the Sun?

Nope - six CDs covering the bands career from 1961-2012. With rarities and previously unreleased material. This is the last time anything like this will be compiled, so - and call me crazy here - I'm guessing the compilers will get it right. But this isn't another Hawthorne CA which was aimed squarely at the hard-core fans and sold about as well as you'd imagine such a product would: it's a career spanning box for them as wants one, hence the following will be included:

Top 40 hits
'classic' cuts
deep catalog material
live material
rarities
unreleased tracks which, I'm sure will please and also infuriate all here.

That doesn't sound so bad.  Not quite sure how "classic cuts" and "deep catalog material" are supposed to differ though.  I'm assuming the live material will come from the Carnegie Hall concert and then the rarities will include a lot of stuff that hasn't been seen or heard on CD in years ("It's Such A Beautiful Day", "Crocodile Rock", "Chasin' The Sky", etc.).  

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #972 on: February 26, 2013, 11:32:41 PM »

Classic cut - "Catch A Wave": never a hit, not even a single, but pretty much everyone knows it.

Deep catalog - "All I Wanna Do": you gotta be a fan to know it.

BTW, I'm not posting from any great position of knowledge re: the track breakdown into genres, just being logical.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #973 on: February 27, 2013, 12:38:22 AM »

I'm expecting, (and I'll be more than happy with), something that has the same balance as the '93 set.

It'll have enough unreleased stuff on it to interest us old stalwarts.

I'm looking forward to it greatly. Disk 2 and 3 of the old box have been Be My Babied to death.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 27, 2013, 01:02:29 AM »

I'm expecting, (and I'll be more than happy with), something that has the same balance as the '93 set.

It'll have enough unreleased stuff on it to interest us old stalwarts.

I'm looking forward to it greatly. Disk 2 and 3 of the old box have been Be My Babied to death.

Best comment yet on the upcoming set, IMHO. The 1993 box is a prime example of how such a set should be compiled. Of course, those responsible had the advantage of the SMiLE material yet unreleased officially.

I can't recall any other comment on it than: superb, 10 out of 10, and so on and so forth. Paul Williams wrote: eat peanut butter sandwiches for a month, but get this set!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx