gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680980 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 06:50:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Why Do Fools" Handclaps  (Read 5320 times)
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2009, 10:09:53 PM »

I had the chance to hear the new stereo remix of "Why Do Fools Fall in Love" over the weekend.  Wow!!!  Phil Spector ain't got nothin' on Brian Wilson.  The instrumental intro is going to knock the socks off of even diehard Beach Boys fans!  It makes me wonder if Brian intended to put a spoken verse at the beginning, like some of Spector's records, but never completed it.

It made me pull out the single and LP versions of "Why Do Fools."  One thing I never noticed was that the album version has handclaps over the last 30 seconds or so that the single version doesn't.  The stereo remix doesn't have the handclaps, so I would have to assume that they were added as it was mixed to mono for the LP, and therefore the handclaps aren't on the multitrack.  Mark or Alan, care to comment?

Lee

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 10:18:02 PM »

As a coda to my last post, I seem to recall an interview with Chuck Girard of the Castells, where he said that he participated in the overdub of handclaps on "Why Do Fools."

Lee
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 11:58:24 PM »

Pulling out the SHUT DOWN VOL. 2 CD and the "single" version from the COMPLETE U.S. SINGLES box I find these to be the same mix (with the "single" version recreated by grafting on a copy of the "Hmmm" section following the acapella break onto the intro as was done on the actual 1964 single version) with handclaps coming in after the "Hmmm's" at a low volume and being pushed up when the castanets and all come in for the final verse and tag.

But pulling out the actual single reveals louder handclaps starting during the instrumental break and continuing through the rest of the song (except for the acapella break and the "hmmm" section).  There must have been two different mixdowns then, with different sets of handclapping, one for the single, one for the LP.

Also on the 45 the edit between the intro and the rest of the song is slightly off beat, which isn't the case on the "single" version on the box set (or THE WARMTH OF THE SUN).
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 12:49:45 AM »

where can I find that new stereo remix?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 01:08:13 AM »

On the "Summer Love Songs" compilation, coming to a store near you in less than a week  Grin

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 02:18:58 AM »

On the "Summer Love Songs" compilation, coming to a store near you in less than a week  Grin

Thank you! Smiley

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 08:27:12 AM »

Damn...

Is it next Tuesday yet? Between this, Don't Worry baby, Fallin' In Love, and others I can't wait.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 08:34:03 AM »

Hi Lee, greetings from Germany, Gerhard

Watson, did you hear this?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 08:37:31 AM »

The stereo remix doesn't have the handclaps, so I would have to assume that they were added as it was mixed to mono for the LP.

It seems that's always what they did (it's the same for All Dressed up for School as well)
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 08:46:22 AM »

Yeah, ESQ received an advance review copy, which is where I heard it.  I wasn't trying to brag; I was just that excited about it.  And after 30 years of collecting every morsel of Beach Boys / Brian Wilson that I can get my hands on, it takes a lot to excite me!

Lee
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 08:55:44 AM »

Yeah, ESQ received an advance review copy, which is where I heard it.  I wasn't trying to brag; I was just that excited about it.  And after 30 years of collecting every morsel of Beach Boys / Brian Wilson that I can get my hands on, it takes a lot to excite me!

Lee

How are the other new tracks?
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 10:05:52 AM »

Lee

How are the other new tracks?

They're good too! The new stereo mixes are a definite improvement (especially "Don't Worry Baby") and this new version of Dennis' "Lady", with its string intro, is nothing short of amazing.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:06:43 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 10:38:17 AM »

I'm not thrilled with the remix of "Time To Get Alone" - yes, it's much cleaner, but the wonderful, magical reverberation on "deep and wide" is sorely missed.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 01:34:42 PM »

I'm not thrilled with the remix of "Time To Get Alone" - yes, it's much cleaner, but the wonderful, magical reverberation on "deep and wide" is sorely missed.

On second thought, I wholeheartedly agree with that! I've just compared the new mix (which I had only heard on a crappy mp3 player until now) to the original mix and... Yes, that "magical" thing is gone. Oh well. The disc is worth buying for WDFFIL and Lady anyway Cool
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:37:31 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 01:50:47 PM »

They got rid of that?  Seriously?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 02:01:32 PM »

It's there for the most part, but the 20/20 mix sounds much bigger. It seems that specific track is mixed much louder and wider than on the new stereo mix (which feels buried in the mix). I'm gonna have to agree, that part definitely lacks the oomph thats in the original.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx