gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 12:14:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 570736 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1200 on: July 20, 2014, 06:01:11 PM »

The name changes....  Thud
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1201 on: July 20, 2014, 06:19:35 PM »

Once things were simple and I was pure, circa 1997. I first got online and got to know fellow Beach Boys' fans from all over the world. Leaked tracks, new info, it was beautiful.

Then there was word about a new Brian wilson realease, which turned out to be Imagination.

Then I got it. Things would never be the same.

Change "1997" to 1991 or 1992:

Then there was word about a new Beach Boys release, which turned out to be Summer In Paradise.

Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1202 on: July 20, 2014, 06:21:57 PM »

the name changes are my schtick! LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1203 on: July 20, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »

True, but a lot of people has suddenly changed their names, and it looks like it's because of recent arguments. It's ridiculous, and I'm staying out of it.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: July 20, 2014, 06:36:50 PM »

LOL Sorry Billy! haha, first time I've ever changed my name on here....so this is what it feels like to have another persona Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 20, 2014, 07:04:57 PM »

I'm running out of new Shady names

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 20, 2014, 07:09:07 PM »

So, how exactly did I wander onto the Bloo Board???
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1207 on: July 20, 2014, 07:16:13 PM »

Too many cans of Bud Light at Club Kokomo?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 20, 2014, 07:17:21 PM »

LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 20, 2014, 07:35:57 PM »

Ha! Is that place even open still? I don't think it lasted long!

I did actually go to The Beach Boys Cafe in Manhattan Beach back in the day! I was at a punk rock show there (local bands) once that actually got out of control and the cops had to beak it up. Dennis would have approved.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 20, 2014, 08:17:48 PM »

Meh. The way I look at it, I'm not qualified to tell Brian Wilson how to produce his album, who to take advice from, who to work with, or how to live his life. He does what he does and I get to listen to it. If like what I hear, I'll be happy. If not, then I can come on here and complain. But, since I know zilch about the process, I'll reserve my opinion for the end result.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 20, 2014, 08:26:38 PM »

It's the end result which will endure, not the bickering.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: July 20, 2014, 10:12:22 PM »

GIOM 2?
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: July 21, 2014, 03:04:38 AM »

True, but a lot of people has suddenly changed their names, and it looks like it's because of recent arguments. It's ridiculous, and I'm staying out of it.

I changed my name because I always thought my name (au bord de ma chère) was forgettable and stupid but couldn't think of anything better till now. Intend to stick with "unreleased backgrounds" for a good while now.

Please delete my account
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1214 on: July 21, 2014, 03:24:42 AM »

I change my handle rarely, but when I do, it's always obvious who I am.

Er... like you wouldn't guess anyway. Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1215 on: July 21, 2014, 06:38:15 AM »

The S&S analogy makes no sense whatsoever.

This is an album of (mostly) original songs. It's not a "tribute" to Brian's work. It's new work by Brian.

Brian is not just contributing backgrounds, he's doing leads as well.

It's not country. It doesn't have the Beach Boys on it. I mean, what on earth are people smoking here?

People were slagging the project off earlier by comparing it to GIOMH, but that's at least a semi-relevant comparison -- previously unreleased songs and superstar guests.

Brian is doing backgrounds while others sing lead. Just like Stars & Stripes. Is my point. My prime point is that this is version 4.0 of this album.

The whole point of all of this is that we haven’t heard but literally ten seconds of this album, and we don’t even know (nor perhaps does Brian) which songs will be on the album. Having said that, aren’t all indications that Brian *also* sings leads on this album? I haven’t heard anything that suggests all of the songs will have others singing the lead. So even that tenuous comparison to “Stars and Stripes” may not end up being valid. Various “duets” albums out there would seem at least at the moment to be a slightly easier comparison to make given limited information at hand.

If Brian indeed does sings leads on this album as well, he may still end up having more “lead” vocals on this album than many actual “Beach Boys” albums.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: July 21, 2014, 06:50:11 AM »

The S&S analogy makes no sense whatsoever.

This is an album of (mostly) original songs. It's not a "tribute" to Brian's work. It's new work by Brian.

Brian is not just contributing backgrounds, he's doing leads as well.

It's not country. It doesn't have the Beach Boys on it. I mean, what on earth are people smoking here?

People were slagging the project off earlier by comparing it to GIOMH, but that's at least a semi-relevant comparison -- previously unreleased songs and superstar guests.

Brian is doing backgrounds while others sing lead. Just like Stars & Stripes. Is my point. My prime point is that this is version 4.0 of this album.

The whole point of all of this is that we haven’t heard but literally ten seconds of this album, and we don’t even know (nor perhaps does Brian) which songs will be on the album. Having said that, aren’t all indications that Brian *also* sings leads on this album? I haven’t heard anything that suggests all of the songs will have others singing the lead. So even that tenuous comparison to “Stars and Stripes” may not end up being valid. Various “duets” albums out there would seem at least at the moment to be a slightly easier comparison to make given limited information at hand.

If Brian indeed does sings leads on this album as well, he may still end up having more “lead” vocals on this album than many actual “Beach Boys” albums.

according to my math on what I heard, Brian sings leads or has partial lead vocals on seven tracks...eight counting his take on "Last Song"
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: July 21, 2014, 06:54:30 AM »

Is David Marks involved in any of the album?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1218 on: July 21, 2014, 06:57:59 AM »

Jason wrote about Brian's album last fall, and never mentioned any guest artists besides Al, Blondie, Dave, and Jeff Beck.  If it's such big news now, you would think he would have mentioned it back then, nor did he mention any plans of contemporary recording artists being part of the album...

You're forgetting that the current version of the album is the 4th incarnation. They weren't mentioned because they weren't part of the gameplan back then.

1 - next BB album
2 - straight BW solo set
3 - Wilson/Beck collaboration
4 - Brian's version of Stars & Stripes, albeit with original material

This sort of implies an exactness to the process of writing, recording, and putting together an album that we know is not the case. Especially in BB land.

Nothing in this list may have ever been planned in such clear-cut terms.

#1 – it never appears they canceled more BB sessions. They had stuff left over from TWGMTR, and Mike may well have decided he didn’t want to sing on Wilson-Thomas material even if he would have probably been able to add some lyrics and, because of this and myriad other often-discussed reasons, abandoned the reunion lineup, and so they simply didn’t record more under the BB banner.

#2 – It appears from early on that at least Al was going to be doing some leads. So a pure “straight BW solo album” was probably never in the cards if we’re defining it as having only Brian singing leads. Al was recording early in 2013 from my recollection, and the early articles mentioning Beck, etc. made mention of Al leads.

#3 – While there was the one article vaguely alluding to “three albums worth of material”, the Beck stuff was never indicated as a FULL album worth of material. It sounds like they worked on several tracks together, but not only didn’t have anywhere near a full album’s worth of material recorded, but had no apparent plans to record a “Brian Wilson & Jeff Beck” album. The sessions have now been described as “aborted”, but I still think any Beck stuff would have been on a “Brian Wilson” album.

#4 – As already hashed out, based on what we know, this is not going to be necessarily an album full of other lead vocalists with Brian backing them. We have several names for what are either guest lead vocals or possibly joint leads/duets. Not only do we not know what the nature of the songs with the known names will be, we only have those names to go on. I haven’t seen anywhere near 10-12 names. Based on the information we have, my best guess as to the nature of a new album as currently planned would be a “Brian Wilson” album with some amount of the songs featuring guest lead vocalists or duets with Brian. I’m going to guess this album with have Brian’s name alone on the cover and spine, with a sticker showing something like “featuring duets with Lana Del Rey, Zooey Deschanel” and maybe, possibly “fellow Beach Boys Jardine, Marks, and Chaplin” if those guys’ contributions make it onto the album. If they end up using “Danny Boy”, and if the sticker on the cover is big enough, they may even put Beck’s name on there too.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: July 21, 2014, 06:59:58 AM »

yes
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1220 on: July 21, 2014, 07:00:54 AM »

He was mentioned early on as having contributed to some sessions; presumably guitar. Whether his contributions end up being included, we do not know. Al’s name has been mentioned more often, and we’ve seen pics of Al in the studio with Brian stretching from early 2013 all the way to sometime around April or May of 2014 if I’m recalling correctly.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: July 21, 2014, 07:22:47 AM »

He was mentioned early on as having contributed to some sessions; presumably guitar. Whether his contributions end up being included, we do not know. Al’s name has been mentioned more often, and we’ve seen pics of Al in the studio with Brian stretching from early 2013 all the way to sometime around April or May of 2014 if I’m recalling correctly.
I think he also sang on some track(s). I have no source for that, though. Read it somewhere a couple of weeks ago. I could be wrong. Let's hope the ol' Lionhead makes it onto the finished product. Smiley

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: July 21, 2014, 07:36:36 AM »

Let's hope the ol' Lionhead makes it onto the finished product. Smiley

For real. He was underutilized on TWGMTR.

leftybass77
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: July 21, 2014, 08:44:40 AM »

There are many options available to Brian here. I'm sure his handlers think that duets with stars of the day is an easy way to put something out that would make money. However, I would prefer if they let Brian wait until inspiration struck and if it never strikes so be it.  I'd also be okay if he did a record on his own on that Casio he used on the Brian Wilson/Imagination records --free of the Wondermint guys or other extras.

Would also be cool if he wrote some vocal arrangements for others but only if he's into it. Leave the man be if he wants to chill.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:46:08 AM by leftybass77 » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: July 21, 2014, 09:58:19 AM »

I make no apologies about being a one-note pony......something has to give here that makes the next project the BB album.........so sad to be reading all this when we should be arguing over some amazon samples from a new BB album.....

sorry fellas....(guess i do make apologies...)
Professor
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx