gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 01:34:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UK West Country fan finds rare BB tapes  (Read 3509 times)
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2013, 08:40:25 AM »

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Long-lost-Beach-Boys-recordings-taped-fan-1960s/story-19838016-detail/story.html

To add to anything you don't already know.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:42:23 AM by chris.metcalfe » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 08:46:36 AM »

Thanks. That's another interesting find, just as the Shut Down Vol.2 tapes.

But unknown to Ian, now 69, his recordings were the only copies of the original line-up of the band playing the songs outside of America.

I don't think this is true. There's a great sounding broadcast (?) of a show in Sweden from '64. Or did they mean those particular songs?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:50:43 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 08:58:52 AM »

You know, instead of doing the retreads on disc 6 of the box (Smile backing vocals, Surf's Up 1967, Good Vibrations sessions), they should have just put the whole BBC tape on there. The three tracks we got are great...but MORE!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 10:45:22 AM »

not that it's all important, but did he record the show the first time they broadcst it, or the  re-broadcast  for the Playhouse session on 'Saturday Club with Brian Matthew' ?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 10:52:48 AM »

Many thanks Chris… fine tale and neat to learn there are more tracks in the can… wonder if the others will see release some day?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 11:52:16 AM »

not that it's all important, but did he record the show the first time they broadcst it, or the  re-broadcast  for the Playhouse session on 'Saturday Club with Brian Matthew' ?

The rebroadcast they did when the band were over here in 1966, as is obvious when he says "Not long after that broadcast I went to see them playing live in Cardiff. That was a brilliant night." That would be the 11/12/66 show.

However, for them as can read and comprehend basic English, the ensuing two sentences  offer something of a clue:

"The tracks by original members of the band - Brian, Carl and Dennis Wilson, Mike Love and Al Jardine - were originally broadcast on the BBC Light Programme's Top Gear in 1964.

The band came to Britain again two years later, and to mark the occasion, the BBC re-broadcast the Playhouse session on 'Saturday Club with Brian Matthew'."

In all seriousness, to ask the question Chris did - assuming he bothered to actually read the article - is, to be polite about it, somewhat dumb.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:59:29 AM by A. Grayham Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 12:41:16 PM »

Hey speaking of this, I found a tape with "BB- SUp.2" written on it signed by Brian in my grandfathers basement... Should I give it a listen?  LOL

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 12:56:25 PM »

Is it a half-inch 4-track ?  Cheesy

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 01:01:24 PM »

not that it's all important, but did he record the show the first time they broadcst it, or the  re-broadcast  for the Playhouse session on 'Saturday Club with Brian Matthew' ?

The rebroadcast they did when the band were over here in 1966, as is obvious when he says "Not long after that broadcast I went to see them playing live in Cardiff. That was a brilliant night." That would be the 11/12/66 show.

However, for them as can read and comprehend basic English, the ensuing two sentences  offer something of a clue:

"The tracks by original members of the band - Brian, Carl and Dennis Wilson, Mike Love and Al Jardine - were originally broadcast on the BBC Light Programme's Top Gear in 1964.

The band came to Britain again two years later, and to mark the occasion, the BBC re-broadcast the Playhouse session on 'Saturday Club with Brian Matthew'."

In all seriousness, to ask the question Chris did - assuming he bothered to actually read the article - is, to be polite about it, somewhat dumb.

yes, reading has always been a problem.
after your initial succint response, i went back and re-read the article to find what I had missed the first time.
I want to especially thank you for your bloated and churlish expoundment.

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 01:37:56 PM »

Hey speaking of this, I found a tape with "BB- SUp.2" written on it signed by Brian in my grandfathers basement... Should I give it a listen?  LOL

Better have someone check that sig--could be Foskett forgerizin'!!!!  Smokin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 01:49:07 PM »

after your initial succint response, i went back and re-read the article to find what I had missed the first time.

Is it wrong of me to assume not merely to assume a reasonable grasp of BB history here, but also a little basic literacy ? Seemingly so. Odd.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 05:15:52 PM »

Is it wrong of me to assume not merely to assume a reasonable grasp of BB history here, but also a little basic literacy ? Seemingly so. Odd.

Your assunptions above make little sense. 
Of course, I presume you don't know that when you "assume" you make an ass out of u and me;  tho, methinks you live for this, in your own contrary way 
Perhaps if you were always a bit more literate, more consideration could be passed your way.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 05:56:30 PM »

However, for them as can read and comprehend basic English, the ensuing two sentences  offer something of a clue:

Being so quick to jump on others who apparently don't take the time to read I thought you would be a bit more careful.

Chris didn't ask a question...bgas did.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 06:06:10 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 07:07:16 PM »

However, for them as can read and comprehend basic English, the ensuing two sentences  offer something of a clue:

Being so quick to jump on others who apparently don't take the time to read I thought you would be a bit more careful.

Chris didn't ask a question...bgas did.

Ahh to be fair, that's my "real" name. Bgas is how I'm used to typing

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 10:05:57 PM »

Then perhaps he could show a little respect and only use your member name, as you chose to do. It would not be amiss especially in this case when a 'Chris' started the thread. Just a bit disappointed that a certain tone is returning to AGD's posts and often directed at those who supported him during his various...shall we say 'absences' of late.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 11:33:27 PM »

Even though AGD is right in claiming that bgas would not have had to ask his question had he read the article with a bit of more concentration, I cannot grasp why he has to word his reply in such an arrogant way. Calling bgas dumb is even an insult which I wish AGD would apologize for. Sometimes one is in a hurry, things like this happen. It's not nearly as dumb as the BBC wiping the original tapes!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 12:11:10 AM »

Like pretty much every major broadcaster across the world. the BBC didn't regard the things they were showing or broadcasting - be it pop, serials, dramas or... anything really - as something to preserve, or possessing any intrinsic merit. Wiping by taping over was the standard practise. The wonder is that ANYTHING survives.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 12:13:32 AM »

Hadn't Terry Jones bought the tapes, we wouldn't have Mony Pythons Flying Circus now. They would have wiped the tapes!!!

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 12:32:11 AM »

No. Burn it. That is what Brian intended to happen with it - according to some faithful reports on BBs history.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 12:39:38 AM »

Like pretty much every major broadcaster across the world. the BBC didn't regard the things they were showing or broadcasting - be it pop, serials, dramas or... anything really - as something to preserve, or possessing any intrinsic merit. Wiping by taping over was the standard practise. The wonder is that ANYTHING survives.

I think the general consensus is that you should apologise to bgas. Much that I value your contributions to the board, they're somewhat overshadowed by your total lack of respect for other posters.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 02:04:47 AM »

You are of course all entirely correct - I shouldn't let the nonsense of daily life inform my posts here unless specifically requested. Sorry Chris, that was uncalled for, or best confined to PMs.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »

I should make wishes more often.

Great gesture, Andrew.  Thumbs Up

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 12:45:33 PM »

Hadn't Terry Jones bought the tapes, we wouldn't have Mony Pythons Flying Circus now. They would have wiped the tapes!!!

I don't believe Jones bought the  tapes - he snuck into the BBC library and made copies of the entire Flying Circus series.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 05:37:55 PM »

This thread has inspired me to do something about three reel-to-reel tapes I have had in possession for the past 20 or so years. I obtained them from a DJ here in New Zealand who rather cheekily wrote to the BBC or a UK radio station (I cannot recall which) in the late 1960s asking if they had any tapes they might spare. To his great surprise three tapes arrived with a note saying something like "you may as well have these since we only throw them away."

I have just found them, after a brief moment of panic thinking I'd lost them.  One 4" 'EMI Professional Recording Tape" is simply hand labelled Marc Bolan. The second is a 7" tape featuring Duncan Browne and The Nice and the third a 5" tape featuring the Beach Boys, Alan Clark, Love Sculpture, The Scaffold, Deena Webster (I had to Google her) and Solomon King.

It's very likely there's nothing of significance here but my curiosity is getting the better of me. Any bright ideas or speculation what might actually be on these tapes? I know the Beach Boys one at a minimum includes 'greetings and interviews' according to the handwritten notes on the box.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2013, 03:00:36 AM »

There's only one way to find out....

Going back to Saturday Club, I have fond memories of this as Brian Matthew, friend of the Fab Four and featured on the Beatles at the BBC CDs (of which more to come soon) played Sgt Pepper on June 3rd 1967 - the day I was given my first transistor radio! (Magic, it was). Ear-opening experience for a mere infant (hem-hem).

Brian Matthew, for US readers, is amazingly still (aged 85) broadcasting his 60s programme (internet, BBC Radio 2 podcasts for you) on Saturday mornings, so it's like going back 50 years every weekend.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wqlv

Most of the other BBC 60s DJs are sub judice   Shocked
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:08:17 AM by chris.metcalfe » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx