gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 06:17:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson Biography  (Read 6355 times)
originals
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2012, 03:18:30 PM »

As far as I can tell - there has never been a Carl Wilson biography published and I am surprised and disappointed. His unique role in the band and within his family would make for a FASCINATING read. There are some great books about Brian and about Dennis. What about the great Carl Wilson?

EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 03:23:14 PM »

I Said the same thing lol
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 03:55:59 PM »

I've always wished Carl would have found the time / interest in writing an autobiography. I think it would have made for a fascinating read.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 04:08:11 PM »

I think that the reason there has never been one (besides the obvious fact that he was overshadowed by his older siblings) is that he was such a private person and his friends, children and two wives are very protective of his memory and unlikely to reveal anything less than saintly about him.  So this makes it tough for a biographer looking to write a fully rounded tale.
MBE
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 10:47:42 PM »

I think that the reason there has never been one (besides the obvious fact that he was overshadowed by his older siblings) is that he was such a private person and his friends, children and two wives are very protective of his memory and unlikely to reveal anything less than saintly about him.  So this makes it tough for a biographer looking to write a fully rounded tale.

That's exactly how I would put it. Even when he was alive I found people wanted to respect his privacy far more than the others. It was probably down to just what he felt comfortable sharing compared to his brothers who really didn't make much off limits to the public.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:33:14 AM »

For a big house publisher to be interested in Carl's story, the writer would have to sensationalise the few down times he had (the divorce from Annie, the brief period of heavy drug use in the late 70's), that's what sells books. But I'd still enjoy a well written book from one of the smaller publishers that focused on his work as a singer and musician, I know there are some great stories to be told by the musicians who worked with Carl through the years. Billy Hinsche's dvd on Carl includes some of this kind of stuff.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 02:46:21 AM »

I think this subject has been raised before on here and all of the above reasons were mentioned. I for one would love to know more about Carl (so if anyone on here has stories that aren't readily available in books etc, do let me know!) but I just don't ever see it happening.

As mentioned above, Brian and Dennis were always in the public eye when they went through their troubles. Dennis was visibly out of control and Brian was the genius who became a recluse. Carl just got on with it and therefore there wasn't much to say I guess!

The family have every right to keep his life private and so unless they ever want to share stories, I doubt we will get anything more than we already have.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 11:49:16 AM »

Frankly, if there's any dirt on Carl I don't want to hear it. We know way too much about Brian, Dennis, and Mike.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 11:59:46 AM »

I'd be very interested in Carl's relationship to Dean Martin who became his father-in-law in the 80s. But he probably met him before when he was working with Ricci Martin and the Sunflower shot was taken on Dino's ground. Of course that would be just a minor thing but interesting.
Outside of his personal life it would be fascinating to hear about his studio work and also his outside productions/work. And of course hearing how respected he was among other musicians.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 05:01:36 PM »

I'll bet Jerry Schilling could write a good one

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 06:14:50 PM »

A bio of Carl, along with others who have yet to tell their story, would be a very interesting read. The fact that they were there and a part of it is enough for people to want to know their story. As for the dirt behind their history, it would be a difficult task be as honest as possible without flinging around dirty laundry for tabloids to eat up. The dirt behind the history may be the reason why so many keep silent because they are not willing to be that open about their past issues and such. But fortunately there are many writers who are given the task of telling someone's life story and succeeded in drawing the line between over-glorifying and gossip while creating an honest and revealing biography.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 09:52:38 PM »

There is the Billy Hinchse video "bio" of CW AVAILABLE or did someone already mention it?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 11:33:41 PM »

Frankly, if there's any dirt on Carl I don't want to hear it. We know way too much about Brian, Dennis, and Mike.

Good call.

“We live in divisive times.”
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 07:44:52 AM »

Good call.

That was pretty much my point with Schilling.  Inside access for years, wrote a biography of Elvis--yet he was Carl's best friend and confidant so any "dirt" would likely stay where it needed to be.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 09:30:29 AM »

Good point. Jerry was very close with Carl and in his Book "Me and a Guy Named Elvis" he talks quite a bit about his relationhip with Carl and The Beach Boys.
I really enjoyed this book!

http://www.amazon.com/Me-Guy-Named-Elvis-Friendship/dp/1592403050/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346430510&sr=1-1&keywords=jerry+schilling
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 11:35:08 AM »

My impression is that Carl didn't care for the way media likes to put emphasis on "the dirt" on anybody.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »

I Said the same thing lol

You sure did. And then some!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 12:41:37 PM »

Good point. Jerry was very close with Carl and in his Book "Me and a Guy Named Elvis" he talks quite a bit about his relationhip with Carl and The Beach Boys.
I really enjoyed this book!

http://www.amazon.com/Me-Guy-Named-Elvis-Friendship/dp/1592403050/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346430510&sr=1-1&keywords=jerry+schilling
And unlike many Elvis bios by so-called friends, Jerry talks about the man as a true friend, very respectful. Acknowledges Elvis' mistakes, problems, but doesnt' dwell on them so much that they overshadow his many accomplishments, or his friendship with the man. I would love to see Jerry write a book on Carl.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 09:41:58 PM »

Jerry would be the guy who could really shed some light on the Carl story.  That would be a wonderful read.

Guess who was sitting two boxes behind me at the BB hollywood bowl a few months ago?  But I spent more time (when the BBs were not on stage) looking at Jerry's date.  Pricilla still looks incredible.  They both seemed to enjoy the show a great deal.  What a great night that was...The Beach Boys put on a wonderful show.  And it was pretty neat to see a whole bunch of celebs up close and in person there too.  Paul Stanley, Billy Idol, Jackson Browne etc...
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »

I am not so much interested in Carl's personal life.  But I would love to know what he thought of dynamics within the Beach Boys:

What did he think of Mike?

What did he think of "Love You"?

Did he "give in" to the oldies or was it a case where making another "Holland" or "Surf's Up" lost its importance to him?

What was his favorite version of the touring band?

What did he think of the 68-74 eras music?  Was it frustrating that it was largely  forgotten?

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »

I'd buy a book with that kind of information.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 06:54:36 AM »

Me too.....exactly the type of Q/A I would like to see.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 07:21:59 AM »

Believe it or not, but I have kicked around the idea of writing a Carl bio myself. I've never written a book, really and it seems kind of daunting, but somehow, through passion for the subject and an interest in growing, I think I might attempt it.
After several books on Brian and a few on Dennis, Carl deserves one good book too, even if he doesn't quite have the big personal problems that his brothers did that makes for a potboiler.

Still, this was a great man who carried the whole bitching, squabbling, drugged-out, spaced-out America's band uphill, with their feet dragging in the sand all the way. And he did it all with a big heart and with one of the greatest singing voices that ever graced a vocal microphone. He deserves to have his full story told, beyond just the tidbits in BW bios.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
dyan61
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 02:53:22 PM »

Still, this was a great man who carried the whole bitching, squabbling, drugged-out, spaced-out America's band uphill, with their feet dragging in the sand all the way. And he did it all with a big heart and with one of the greatest singing voices that ever graced a vocal microphone. He deserves to have his full story told, beyond just the tidbits in BW bios.

[/quote]

Amen to that, I'd buy your book!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 12:26:56 AM »

Amen to that, I'd buy your book!
[/quote] Me, too!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx