gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680980 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 06:15:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jardine challenges Love to battle of the bands in explosive interview...  (Read 53429 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2013, 03:13:22 PM »

they can each have a choice of one hologram of Carl and Dennis each to choose from as well...Brian should choose Dennis that way he can sing "You are so beautiful" all sad and then the audience would go "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh". Mike can use Carl to sing "Keepin the summer alive"...

Can we have a hologram Dennis kick over his drums and beat the crap out of Mike?
actually yes we can,,,,we'll hook up a string to the drum set find a hologram of Dennis kicking and pull the string as if he's kicking it and we can have Dennis walk back stage and have the voice of Mike yelling as if getting beat up with sound effects of things breaking etc..

Grown men would weep tears of joy.

To pump himself up for the event, Mike can play a loop of this interview as he rehearses his pantomime gestures or works out or meditates or whatever.

"Brian and I decided that, heck – we're the heart and soul of this thing anyway, we're going to continue to perform the legacy. We have the voices, we have the creative material, and we have a wonderful backing band that Brian has been using for years."

we're the heart and soul of this thing anyway... click.

ominous music rises.

we have the voices... click.

Fig. 3636. Survivors cling to each other for support after The Battle of The Beach Boys
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:26:25 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2013, 03:24:34 PM »

Odd that people can't accept that Mike torpedoed the group. They could have done more. And he chose not

BTW, no need to shout, dear - I'm not deaf and it's bad for your blood pressure.

I probably had to "shout" because you have a knack for ignoring posts when they show you don't know what you are talking about sometimes. Such as this one:

Funny that Andrew still hasn't admitted his "John Q Public" post made no sense whatsoever. Saying that the average person wouldn't know "Surf's Up 1967" even though The SMiLE Sessions was a top 30 hit, but that they would know "Ol' Man River (Vocal Section)". Sounds like he was a little confused when he made that list. Either that or his list was total bullshit and he should make a coherent list.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2013, 03:33:53 PM »

they can each have a choice of one hologram of Carl and Dennis each to choose from as well...Brian should choose Dennis that way he can sing "You are so beautiful" all sad and then the audience would go "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh". Mike can use Carl to sing "Keepin the summer alive"...

Can we have a hologram Dennis kick over his drums and beat the crap out of Mike?
actually yes we can,,,,we'll hook up a string to the drum set find a hologram of Dennis kicking and pull the string as if he's kicking it and we can have Dennis walk back stage and have the voice of Mike yelling as if getting beat up with sound effects of things breaking etc..

To pump himself up for the event, Mike can play a loop of this interview as he rehearses his pantomime gestures or works out or meditates or whatever.

"Brian and I decided that, heck – we're the heart and soul of this thing anyway, we're going to continue to perform the legacy. We have the voices, we have the creative material, and we have a wonderful backing band that Brian has been using for years."

ominous music rises.

Fig. 3636. Survivors cling to each other for support after The Battle of The Beach Boys

On this point I don't agree with Alan..... I'd say Mike qualifies as much more a heart and soul segment than Alan ever has.... I love Alan, but Mike has done much much more for The Beach Boys.... The numbers back it up. There is no comparison
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2013, 03:35:35 PM »

Them's fightin' words.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2013, 03:38:03 PM »

Them's fightin' words.

But I do love Al and value him just as much as Mike, but c'mon......

OK, we can take this argument up at SeaWorld
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2013, 03:39:25 PM »

By the time BAD vs M&B gets done, the Hollywood Bowl will look like downtown Metropolis after Superman vs Zod.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2013, 03:43:56 PM »

Brian is the heart
Carl was the soul
Mike is the nose
Bruce is the shorts
Dennis was the c*ck

leaving Alan as the... uh, teeth of the group? haircut? Feet?

it still kinda leaves them soulless and cockless, which is no way to go through life.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:58:49 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »

Brian is the heart
Carl was the soul
Mike is the nose
Bruce is the shorts
Dennis was the c*ck

it still kinda leaves them soulless and cockless, which is no way to go through life.

I'm afraid to ask what David is, seeing the lack of many body parts left to choose from
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2013, 04:02:20 PM »

An appendix, according to Murry.

Back to the interview, I notice Al is thinking along the same lines of some people here about another album: "I've done some covers of some iconic songs, like “Give Peace a Chance” and “If I Had a Hammer,” for Bono's ONE foundation. I'd like to do more music like that while I still have a voice. If I could get enough material along those lines, I would do another (solo album) in a heartbeat."

Lesse, how about "CIA Man" and "New Amphetamine Shriek," Al?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3V98lnJX1k
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:07:45 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2013, 04:06:20 PM »

I hate to be a part of this thread - but the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the thread title was that if there was indeed a battle of the bands, and it was up to a general audience to decide, I'd bet money that M&B would "win".

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »

I hate to be a part of this thread - but the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the thread title was that if there was indeed a battle of the bands, and it was up to a general audience to decide, I'd bet money that M&B would "win".

Depends on the material. And how many leads Al had. Man still sounds amazing. And I don't know if you saw the C50 shows, but the reaction Brian got on stuff like IJWMFTT makes it pretty clear that most of the crowd knew his story and were excited to see him.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2013, 04:12:05 PM »

My Beach Boy can beat up your Beach Boy!

I'm actually surprised Al hasn't done an album of folk standards already. It seems like just the sort of thing he'd be doing, right up his "tweak an oldie" alley and along the lines of Postcard. If he gets started now he can make a 2018 release date easy.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:16:48 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2013, 04:13:33 PM »

Depends on the material. And how many leads Al had. Man still sounds amazing. And I don't know if you saw the C50 shows, but the reaction Brian got on stuff like IJWMFTT makes it pretty clear that most of the crowd knew his story and were excited to see him.

See, but that's not the general audience somehow. You shouldn't count the audience that attends Beach Boys gigs as the audience that attends Beach Boys gigs. You should assume they are total rubes brought there by a Tom Cruise movie for the most part. Only M&B connects with that audience. Or something. That way you can feel special, clued-in, in the know and above those clods wearing Hawaiian shirts. Never mind that the music may even be just as important to them or they may be just as fanatical about Pet Sounds or obsessive about Holland, we just have to pretend it's still the Full House era. 

The only ones who would "win" such a hypothetical scenario would be the audience! What a treat it would be! It's fruitless to try to compare art or score it on points and then expect everybody else to agree with you.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:21:57 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2013, 04:18:10 PM »

I saw two C50 shows. I came away with the impression that fans (besides the hardcores - I'd say that's around 20% or so), would have been just as happy had it been Mike and Bruce. Mike has the recognizable voice, Mike puts on the show. I'd rather pay to see Brian/Al/Dave once than get to see ten free M&B shows, I'm just commenting on what I think most people really want from a show.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2013, 04:20:22 PM »

Brian is the heart
Carl was the soul
Mike is the nose
Bruce is the shorts
Dennis was the c*ck

I'm afraid to ask what David is, seeing the lack of many body parts left to choose from

The hands.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:46:02 PM by Generation42 » Logged
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2013, 04:42:37 PM »

ominous music rises.

That gave me a great laugh. Thanks!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2013, 04:53:15 PM »

FWIW, AJ does say "If Mike wants to come back, it'd be wonderful and we'd love to have him. But I don't think at this point it looks like its going to happen."

IMO, neither camp has burned any bridges and both sides always seem to leave the door open to future get togethers. Whether and when that might happen is another thing. While there's been expressions of disappointment, confusion, etc. at least things seem to be calm on the surface.

I don't how much of that is the truth though.  It's a valid perception of what could be the truth I'll grant you that.  However, my read on the situation is completely different from yours.  Ever since Mike Love decided not to go forward with the C50, Camp Wilson has been nothing but nasty in my opinion towards Mike Love.  It seems as if every press release that comes from that side of the room has something negative to say about Mike Love and his decision not to go forward with the C50.  Up until this point I believed that Al Jardine actually was playing things a bit more down the middle of the road but with these latest comments, is it fair to say that he too is none too happy with Mike Love at the moment? 

I'm not taking sides here and Brian and Al have every right to feel the way they do without being either praised for it or vilified for it.   I just don't see how any of this is doing anything but creating more acrimony between all parties.

One last bit of food for thought while I'm at it though: Bruce Johnston said there was/is no competition.  Despite those comments and with BAD about to get ramped up and going on it's way things are turning out just about as I figured.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2013, 04:56:27 PM »

I saw two C50 shows. I came away with the impression that fans (besides the hardcores - I'd say that's around 20% or so), would have been just as happy had it been Mike and Bruce. Mike has the recognizable voice, Mike puts on the show. I'd rather pay to see Brian/Al/Dave once than get to see ten free M&B shows, I'm just commenting on what I think most people really want from a show.

My most people can beat up your most people. Cheesy I really got the impression that a sizable number of the folks at each of the two shows I went to we're very aware of who BW was and what his story was. I've also seen Al, and frankly he sounds more like a Beach Boy than Brian or Mike these days. Not a frontman type, though.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2013, 04:57:25 PM »

FWIW, AJ does say "If Mike wants to come back, it'd be wonderful and we'd love to have him. But I don't think at this point it looks like its going to happen."

IMO, neither camp has burned any bridges and both sides always seem to leave the door open to future get togethers. Whether and when that might happen is another thing. While there's been expressions of disappointment, confusion, etc. at least things seem to be calm on the surface.

I don't how much of that is the truth though.  It's a valid perception of what could be the truth I'll grant you that.  However, my read on the situation is completely different from yours.  Ever since Mike Love decided not to go forward with the C50, Camp Wilson has been nothing but nasty in my opinion towards Mike Love.  It seems as if every press release that comes from that side of the room has something negative to say about Mike Love and his decision not to go forward with the C50.  Up until this point I believed that Al Jardine actually was playing things a bit more down the middle of the road but with these latest comments, is it fair to say that he too is none too happy with Mike Love at the moment? 

I'm not taking sides here and Brian and Al have every right to feel the way they do without being either praised for it or vilified for it.   I just don't see how any of this is doing anything but creating more acrimony between all parties.

One last bit of food for thought while I'm at it though: Bruce Johnston said there was/is no competition.  Despite those comments and with BAD about to get ramped up and going on it's way things are turning out just about as I figured.

Mike did them wrong. Mike pays the price. That's the way it works.
SummerInParadise23
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2013, 05:28:05 PM »

I'm very fortunate and grateful the 50 year reunion tour and album release occurred Smiley The memories and excitement will last forever.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2013, 05:34:39 PM »

I'm very fortunate and grateful the 50 year reunion tour and album release occurred Smiley The memories and excrement will last forever.

They're old, what do you expect

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2013, 05:43:19 PM »

It'd be an almost brilliant way to twist this negativity and bad press into fun, $$$, and make the competition a bit friendlier. Why the hell not? Mike could book everybody at the Super-8 Motel, Brian could pay for a fleet of flying buses with chocolate chip cookie dough dispensers. Shake hands like gentlemen, end by sharing the stage on Fun, Fun, Fun.

Carl Wilson Foundation? Think about it. Even if you need fencing masks for negotiations.

I say there's no better premiere venue for this historic showdown than SeaWorld!
OSD, Ron, Wirestone, AGD, and ghost will be the judges for the battle of the bands.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
oldsurferdude
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2013, 05:43:46 PM »

Really, really, really... I expected better than this canard so old it's fraying at the edges. That's exactly the kind of nonsense I'd expect from the more infantile, less knowledgeable posters.
Oh, oh, there he goes again...time to change the meds and, you've all been warned-proceed at your own risk.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2013, 05:53:37 PM »

Instead of Sea World I'd suggest they battle it out aboard that oldies cruise. If the contest ends in a draw, they can settle it with a game of shuffleboard.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2013, 06:01:22 PM »

Thing is, he didn't say that: according to Wirestone, what he said was, Capitol took the option of a second BB album off the table after Mike 'blew up the group' (which he didn't). Which I read as, the company declined to pick up the option when they realised that Mike was sticking to the pre-arranged gameplan. Less emotive, to be sure, and a less satisfying strapline, but more accurate.

And here, in two sentences, AGD summarizes the entire debate. For folks who think Mike is being unfairly maligned, there is a clear and obvious difference between "blowing up the group" and "sticking to the pre-arranged gameplan."

For those disappointed by Mike's choices, those two things are one and the same. That's certainly how I see them. By sticking to the gameplan, Mike returned to the status quo. And by returning to the status quo, he destroyed a magnificent touring ensemble that delighted audiences around the globe and recorded a rather remarkable album.

And that's the whole debate right there. Mike and his guys take the first approach, and talk about it in rational, businessman terms. Brian and Al take the second, and look at it in a very emotional, vibe-based way.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx