gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 04:57:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Dry I Am - the musical origins of Smile?????  (Read 5888 times)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 04:45:13 AM »

The "How Dry I Am" pattern could just as well be known as the "You Are My Sunshine" pattern. When Al Kooper heard "H&V" in May of 67 it was what he called the "You Are My Sunshine" version.

That being said the idea of "How Dry I Am" is an intriguing one especially when one considers the "I could really use a drop to drink" line from what's arguably the climax of BWPS.

Another interesting thing to consider is that the majority of "How Dry I Am" numbers are from the first movement of BWPS. This is also the movement which contains the most fire references (from 'fanned the flame of the dance,' 'steamed upon Hawaii,' 'the cook is chopping lumber,' 'fire mellow,''who ran the iron'). Steven Desper disclosed that "H&V" & "Fire" were mystically connected in Brian's mind. Also Philip Lambert connects the "Who Ran The Iron Horse" music to that of "Fire."

The general idea would be that being in a fire can really dry you out.

Bill

The musical connections throughout Smile are many for example

A. Who Ran The Iron Horse AND MOC (first section) - both feature F/Bflat major/F progression

B. H&V chorus (C sharp maj/D sharp dom 7th/G sharp dom 7th/C sharp major) and IBH - 1st verse second section (C major/D major/G dom 7th/Cmajor)

C. The Elements

- Vegetables beginning of 1st verse (E major/A major/E major)
 - MOC first section (F/B flat/F)
 - IBH - transition and beginning of second section (G/C/G)

I am sure there are more ......

Cheers

Richard
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 06:15:34 PM »

The "How Dry I Am" pattern could just as well be known as the "You Are My Sunshine" pattern. When Al Kooper heard "H&V" in May of 67 it was what he called the "You Are My Sunshine" version.

That being said the idea of "How Dry I Am" is an intriguing one especially when one considers the "I could really use a drop to drink" line from what's arguably the climax of BWPS.

Another interesting thing to consider is that the majority of "How Dry I Am" numbers are from the first movement of BWPS. This is also the movement which contains the most fire references (from 'fanned the flame of the dance,' 'steamed upon Hawaii,' 'the cook is chopping lumber,' 'fire mellow,''who ran the iron'). Steven Desper disclosed that "H&V" & "Fire" were mystically connected in Brian's mind. Also Philip Lambert connects the "Who Ran The Iron Horse" music to that of "Fire."

The general idea would be that being in a fire can really dry you out.

Bill

The musical connections throughout Smile are many for example

A. Who Ran The Iron Horse AND MOC (first section) - both feature F/Bflat major/F progression

B. H&V chorus (C sharp maj/D sharp dom 7th/G sharp dom 7th/C sharp major) and IBH - 1st verse second section (C major/D major/G dom 7th/Cmajor)

C. The Elements

- Vegetables beginning of 1st verse (E major/A major/E major)
 - MOC first section (F/B flat/F)
 - IBH - transition and beginning of second section (G/C/G)

I am sure there are more ......

Yep - F - Bb is also He Gives Speeches, and the verses of Do You Like Worms.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 08:37:49 PM »

I've always found the Who Ran The Iron Horse section to be VERY similar to the bassline/rythm of one of the unused sections of Good Vibrations heard at 3:30 on Disc 5/Track 8 of the Good Vibrations box.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx