gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 02:49:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GTO live 1989  (Read 4393 times)
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2010, 05:17:13 AM »

just watching the DVD from the endless summer series. I noticed that all the beach boys and Mike especially is enjoying the song. Miks is really loose and smyling.

I also like the BW song in my car, performed live in a small solo set in the concert from Brian. He sings this song really well live.

The whole concert is 100% energy !! I hope they release it someday as a live cd !

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:24:54 PM »

Bear in mind that by that time a certain faction of fans (proto-brianistas you might say  Razz) criticized the band for being a nostalgia-driven jukebox that were squandering and ruining the legacy. Go figure.

BTW, Brian is either lip-synching to In My Car or he sang it live and they later edited the video. I suppose that parts of that (undoubtedly studio) recording were used for the SC album.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 01:42:11 PM »

I also like the BW song in my car, performed live in a small solo set in the concert from Brian. He sings this song really well live.

I like that version/arrangement of "In My Car" better than the Still Cruisin' release.

A lot of that concert, especially Mike's leads, were re-done in the studio.

You have a DVD of the 1989 TV series? Is that an official release?
Jason
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 01:47:59 PM »

It's not an official release.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 02:39:50 PM »

Bear in mind that by that time a certain faction of fans (proto-brianistas you might say  Razz) criticized the band for being a nostalgia-driven jukebox that were squandering and ruining the legacy. Go figure.

BTW, Brian is either lip-synching to In My Car or he sang it live and they later edited the video. I suppose that parts of that (undoubtedly studio) recording were used for the SC album.
It was dubbed in later.  His live performance at that show was barely understandable.  The group performance to my memory all these years later) was likely sweetened as well, but still sounded remarkably similar to the live performance

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 04:23:59 PM »

It was dubbed in later.  His live performance at that show was barely understandable.  The group performance to my memory all these years later) was likely sweetened as well, but still sounded remarkably similar to the live performance
It's sad to hear that...However I do have recordings (had is a better term) of Brian doing three songs in the middle of a Beachago set from 1989, undubbed and natural...and he does just fine. Probably the cameras that made him nervous

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 10:48:42 AM »

That's because they were squandering the legacy, for the most part. Bad Hawaiian shirts, cheesy-sounding organs and synths, cheerleaders, John Stamos, the same lame setlist done over and over again, subpar new material, almost no 70s stuff in the setlist, Mike at his most nasal, Bruce kissing Mike's ass, Al and Carl going along with the all-oldies format... They would redeem themselves in '93, though...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Competition Clutch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 03:34:29 PM »

That's because they were squandering the legacy, for the most part. Bad Hawaiian shirts, cheesy-sounding organs and synths, cheerleaders, John Stamos, the same lame setlist done over and over again, subpar new material, almost no 70s stuff in the setlist, Mike at his most nasal, Bruce kissing Mike's ass, Al and Carl going along with the all-oldies format... They would redeem themselves in '93, though...

That's a fair summary of the low points of that period.  The last straw for many were the cheerleaders.   Jardine was quoted in ESQ as saying that Love said it was good to have them because they would give good BJs.   
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 04:03:28 PM »

The last straw for many were the cheerleaders.   

Are you referring to the cheerleaders who were perfectly fine (I believe it was on Shindig) in 1965, with a smiling Brian and Dennis on stage. Or, are you referring to the cheerleaders who were totally unacceptable in the late 1980's/early 1990's when Brian and Dennis were long gone from The Beach Boys? When Al was so critical of the cheerleaders, I wanted to get out that old black and white video of HIM singing "Help Me Rhonda", smiling from ear to ear - only to have a bunch of cheerleaders prancing around behind him.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »

Jardine was quoted in ESQ as saying that Love said it was good to have them because they would give good BJs.   
HAHAHAHAHA!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 04:26:03 PM »

I guess its a little different in '65 when they were still kids almost, rather than middle age men.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 04:38:02 PM »

I guess its a little different in '65 when they were still kids almost, rather than middle age men.

But it shouldn't have been different. The cheerleaders were for the audience's entertainment, not the group's (although some would argue that, you wanna move THIS to the Mike Love "reputation" thread?).

The cheerleaders were used to enhance a few songs, to add a little "something" to the show, to shake things up a bit, to give the audience something extra, to make it more than a traveling juke box get-on-and-get-off show. They were totally harmless. Was it Mike's idea? Probably? What was the vote on it? Was there a vote?

Of all the things Al can bring up about his "down times" in the group, he brings up the cheerleaders, which appear to nothing more than a little fluff added to a Beach Boys' concert. Al Jardine, serious artist. Or is it Al Jardine & Friends Live In Las Vegas, or Al Jardine's Postcards From California, or is it Al Jardine, give 'em something artistic like dredging up a four year-old "Christmas Day" performance?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:47:55 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 06:24:24 PM »

But it shouldn't have been different. The cheerleaders were for the audience's entertainment, not the group's (although some would argue that, you wanna move THIS to the Mike Love "reputation" thread?).

The cheerleaders were used to enhance a few songs, to add a little "something" to the show, to shake things up a bit, to give the audience something extra, to make it more than a traveling juke box get-on-and-get-off show. They were totally harmless. Was it Mike's idea? Probably? What was the vote on it? Was there a vote?

Of all the things Al can bring up about his "down times" in the group, he brings up the cheerleaders, which appear to nothing more than a little fluff added to a Beach Boys' concert. Al Jardine, serious artist. Or is it Al Jardine & Friends Live In Las Vegas, or Al Jardine's Postcards From California, or is it Al Jardine, give 'em something artistic like dredging up a four year-old "Christmas Day" performance?

Did Al run over your dog? Sleep with your wife? If someone attacked Mike like that, you would respond in 3.5 seconds in his defense.
They made the shows tacky and just gave a really sleazy strip club feel to the shows and I love attractive girls as much as the next guy. I noticed Mike hasnt made a move to bring them back in the past 11 years?
oldsurferdude
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 06:24:46 PM »

The last straw for many were the cheerleaders.   

Are you referring to the cheerleaders who were perfectly fine (I believe it was on Shindig) in 1965, with a smiling Brian and Dennis on stage. Or, are you referring to the cheerleaders who were totally unacceptable in the late 1980's/early 1990's when Brian and Dennis were long gone from The Beach Boys? When Al was so critical of the cheerleaders, I wanted to get out that old black and white video of HIM singing "Help Me Rhonda", smiling from ear to ear - only to have a bunch of cheerleaders prancing around behind him.
Not really a well thought out comparison offered here. In 1965, the boys were young as were most of the fans. Cheerleaders were hip in high school and college. As time marched on, most of us grew up, the Beach Boys became an oldies jukebox band and cheerleaders were about as relevant as Mike Love's cheesy outfits. Palm trees anyone? Razz
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 06:36:50 PM »

Did Al run over your dog? Sleep with your wife? If someone attacked Mike like that, you would respond in 3.5 seconds in his defense.

1) Nah, Al's an animal lover. 2) No, but Dennis did. 3) You're darn right I would! (in my best Jack Nicholson yell  Smokin)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 07:10:32 PM »

Shindig had dancers on a lot of their performances, I doubt the BB had any say in it.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 07:31:25 PM »

Shindig had dancers on a lot of their performances....

Even for the middle-aged performers, like, say, Sammy Davis, Jr.?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 07:59:27 PM »

It was just a stage gimmick, like this IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_1RdVte9vE

To quote wiki..

In marketing language, a gimmick is a quirky feature that distinguishes a product or service without adding any obvious function or value. Grin
MBE
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 08:18:04 PM »

Hate to agree but I do.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 05:25:49 AM »

They performed their new stuff, which probably some fans do not care for. They also performed more “obscure” songs from their catalogue: Wendy, Hushabye, This Whole World, You’re so good to me and a few others… And they ROCKED, as those videos attest. On a good night they could be pretty great, on an average night, they delivered a good show still. Hey, give Carl Wilson some credit, dammit! And it was a by far more reliable show than the one they put between 1978 and 1982. Or wasn’t it?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 06:08:23 AM »

This was only a few years before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IZSoKRwUH0

Not only does it have the terrible dancers, but Carl was obviously happy to have the song interrupted by the presenters. Being honest, the band have always been willing to sacrifice artitistic integrity if it's been in their interests to do so. I would guess that Carl and Al didn't need that much persuading over the cheerleaders.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 07:14:22 AM »

I don't see where any of them had an objection to playing their legacy songs along with a small sample of their most recent releases, they did/done it their whole career. When you don't have any recent releases or your most recent release is your legacy music, it sort of narrows your choices I imagine. Come on, what band objects to the adoration of their audiences for their legacy music?

"I noticed Mike hasnt made a move to bring them back in the past 11 years?"

Normally on this board we would take that as evidence that he didn't want the cheerleaders in the first place, must have been somebody else in charge at the time. Haven't they made a few appearances though since '98?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 07:22:12 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 07:19:53 AM »

I don't think that was Carl's choice to have the dancers there, that was the show he was appearing on. They were not his employees and it's pretty tough to tell from that clip exactly what his thoughts are regarding them.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 08:12:32 AM »

I don't think that was Carl's choice to have the dancers there, that was the show he was appearing on. They were not his employees and it's pretty tough to tell from that clip exactly what his thoughts are regarding them.

True but he still agreed to take part. My point was that The BBs have never been a band like The Smiths say, who cared that much about integrity. They've been happy to change their lyrics to suit TV shows, record radio jingles, re-record songs for adverts, play plenty of private shows etc. Plus despite the criticism that Mike and Bruce have had about playing county fairs, the band did that from the beginning and started out by just basically playing hits and covers. I don't think anyone should really be surprised by what they;d turned into by 1989.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 04:56:19 AM »

Normally on this board we would take that as evidence that he didn't want the cheerleaders in the first place, must have been somebody else in charge at the time. Haven't they made a few appearances though since '98?

According to this setlist, there were cheerleaders at a Beach Boys show in 2006  Wink
http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/10-28-06.html
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 04:58:25 AM by Stegibo » Logged

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx