gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680986 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 03:29:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's Book Discussion Thread (and how it relates to the SS board)  (Read 134978 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: September 05, 2016, 09:21:34 PM »

Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if this has been mentioned, but the chapter on Carl getting punched by Rocky in '78 and other events in Australia is quite detailed as conversations were recorded, and the tapes were used by Mike for the book.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 05, 2016, 09:26:26 PM »

Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if this has been mentioned, but the chapter on Carl getting punched by Rocky in '78 and other events in Australia is quite detailed as conversations were recorded, and the tapes were used by Mike for the book.

I wonder if Rocky knows this. Will Rocky read Mike's book?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: September 05, 2016, 09:37:16 PM »

Or, more importantly, will someone read it TO Rocky?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 05, 2016, 09:52:46 PM »

Well, there's always the audiobook
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: September 05, 2016, 09:58:21 PM »

Failing that, sock puppets and flashcards can be used.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 05, 2016, 10:20:30 PM »

Failing that, sock puppets and flashcards can be used.

LOL
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 06, 2016, 02:03:14 AM »

LOL LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 06, 2016, 03:11:37 AM »

Call it Mikes revenge. I'm sure that was going to be covered in Rocky's "book". Wink
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 06, 2016, 04:06:08 AM »

Another interesting '76-'78 tidbit: Whenever Brian was engaged and put on a good show, Mike wept, according to the abovementioned '78 tapes and Mike himself. Those good shows prompted Mike to write the song Brian's Back.

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 06, 2016, 04:14:00 AM »

Also something I didn't know-when Yetnikoff of Columbia Records told the BBs that he had been f--ked, it was said at the Columbia office in New York. To which Brian allegedly raised his hand and said "I think I have some good ideas for [L.A.}, let me record at Criteria in Miami."
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 06, 2016, 04:40:54 AM »

Another tidbit-not long before he left in '72, Bruce-allegedly disgusted with the effect drugs had on the Wilson brothers-would post a sign "No Wilsons Allowed" on the door of Brian's home studio when he recorded.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 06, 2016, 05:38:46 AM »

Another tidbit-not long before he left in '72, Bruce-allegedly disgusted with the effect drugs had on the Wilson brothers-would post a sign "No Wilsons Allowed" on the door of Brian's home studio when he recorded.

See, while I understand why Bruce might have felt that way, I still think that's a pretty obnoxious thing to do. I'd kick him out of my family band, were that the case. HARUMPH!
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 06, 2016, 05:56:43 AM »

From the book:

Mike gets a phone call following the Tale-LaBianca murders.

Person on phone:" Prepare to die, pig."
Mike:" F--k you! Come down to Manhattan Beach, and we'll see who dies!"
No one came to visit, and he never called again.

That's telling 'em, Mike!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 05:59:13 AM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 06, 2016, 08:44:55 AM »

From the book:

Another case of myKe being real "brave" when her had Rocky and Stan at his disposal. Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 06, 2016, 09:32:52 AM »

From the book:

Another case of myKe being real "brave" when her had Rocky and Stan at his disposal. Roll Eyes
To be fair, this is from the pre-Rocky era.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:33:36 AM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 06, 2016, 10:03:20 AM »

From the book:

Rocky and Stan were merely terrorizing college sports team locker room at this point.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 06, 2016, 10:58:16 AM »

From the book:

As stories go, beautifully unfalsifiable.  Has Mike ever mentioned this before?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: September 06, 2016, 11:42:35 AM »

I don't think that's the first person that, years later, made some sort of chest-puffing statement in relation to standing up to the some element of the Manson operation.

It's very convenient to say you told them all to go f**k themselves when they're all old, or dead, or jailed.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 06, 2016, 12:18:16 PM »

I don't think that's the first person that, years later, made some sort of chest-puffing statement in relation to standing up to the some element of the Manson operation.

It's very convenient to say you told them all to go f**k themselves when they're all old, or dead, or jailed.

If there was indeed a draft of a Mike bio back in '92, it would be interesting to know how much stuff has been added (or changed) compared to the new bio, as many more people in the story are no longer living.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 06, 2016, 12:20:26 PM »

Another interesting '76-'78 tidbit: Whenever Brian was engaged and put on a good show, Mike wept, according to the abovementioned '78 tapes and Mike himself. Those good shows prompted Mike to write the song Brian's Back.

I don't doubt it. Herein lies the human part of Mike. I truly believe he loves Brian very much, and that he absolutely shed real tears back then. It's just that his jealousy and resentment has since taken over (it was there back then too), and it's as though he's gone to the dark side.

I believe there is a good person buried inside. I wish the yes-men and yes-women would go away and show him the light.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 12:28:46 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: September 06, 2016, 12:23:29 PM »

Regarding Mike broaching the topic of doing his own book, here's what he told Goldmine in 1992:

With the numerous Beach Boys books that have been published, have you thought about writing your own?

I don't think my ego is that strong in that kind of department. I mean, I have a strong ego in terms of competition and creativity and I'm proud of the contribution I made.

So I guess there's no chance for a book?

Who would want to take the fucking time to go through garbage like that just to rectify garbage.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: September 06, 2016, 12:27:46 PM »

If that had had the possibility of actually helping the Wilson brothers in any way, I'd maybe be able to ignore what an a-hole move that would be for about fifty different reasons. Hanging *that* sign in Brian's own house?

Can anyone point me to where I can order a "No Bruce Johnstons" sign to hang on my door?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 06, 2016, 12:31:17 PM »

Regarding Mike broaching the topic of doing his own book, here's what he told Goldmine in 1992:

With the numerous Beach Boys books that have been published, have you thought about writing your own?

I don't think my ego is that strong in that kind of department. I mean, I have a strong ego in terms of competition and creativity and I'm proud of the contribution I made.

Who would want to take the fucking time to go through garbage like that just to rectify garbage.

I doubt he'd have written the book if not for the internet's existence.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 06, 2016, 06:27:31 PM »

I doubt he'd have written the book if not for the internet's existence.

Money changes everything especially with myKe luHv as it's always about the bottom line. Pathetic to have one's life rooted in the constant acquisition of money. It cancels out all those fake tears he sheds every ten years.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Bittersweet-Insanity
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 07, 2016, 04:21:46 AM »

In the book, Mike says a young lady named Kay was hired to work at Brian's studio in 1990. Among other things, she was told to ignore any phone calls from Gary Usher. She eventually called him and he told her that Landy would kill her if he found out she was talking to him.  Shocked Kay also came across Brian's revised will. She also says she got creepy late nite calls from Landy goons after she left Landy's employ.

I wonder if this is the lady that had her identity hidden on the Diane Sawyer report about Brian and Landy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx