gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681005 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 07:24:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 819253 times)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: March 09, 2016, 11:22:06 AM »

I'm so obsessed right now. It's like everything I could ever want in a band: locality, Beach Boys influences, beautiful voices and lyrics, Sub Pop label... I wish they were still together because I've only recently gotten into them. Sad

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2576 on: March 09, 2016, 02:57:42 PM »

bob seger-beautiful loser

neverlikedthatone.Ifilethatunderradioseger/bad category

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:06:04 PM by Golden Raisins » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2577 on: March 11, 2016, 12:27:33 AM »

KDS
« Reply #2578 on: March 11, 2016, 06:22:30 AM »

Finally got around to listening to the new self titled Def Leppard album yesterday. 

The best thing I can say about it is that, unlike their previous two albums, it actually sounds like Def Leppard.  Let's Go and Dangerous could be straight from 1987. 

However, at 14 songs, there's plenty of filler. 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: March 11, 2016, 09:19:24 AM »

Finally got around to listening to the new self titled Def Leppard album yesterday.  

The best thing I can say about it is that, unlike their previous two albums, it actually sounds like Def Leppard.  Let's Go and Dangerous could be straight from 1987.  

Never understood their appeal. Aren't they just another glam metal band with all the 80s trademarks? Only they didn't dress silly. Things like Pour Some Sugar on Me sound like super dumb pop disguised in heavy metal licks. And that drum sound...
KDS
« Reply #2580 on: March 11, 2016, 09:33:18 AM »

The best thing I can say about it is that, unlike their previous two albums, it actually sounds like Def Leppard.  Let's Go and Dangerous could be straight from 1987.  

Never understood their appeal. Aren't they just another glam metal band with all the 80s trademarks? Only they didn't dress silly. Things like Pour Some Sugar on Me sound like super dumb pop disguised in heavy metal licks. And that drum sound...

Def Leppard may have peaked during that era, but they were never a glam metal or hair metal band. 

They actually came out of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal (MWOBHM) movement of the early 80s, which also produced Iron Maiden and Saxon. 

Producer Mutt Lange took them into a more commercial direction with classic albums High N Dry, Pyromania, and Hysteria. 

While a polished group, there are elements of AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, and Queen in their work. 

And that drum sound on Pour Some Sugar on Me was from the kit that was build to be played by Rick Allen, who lost his left arm. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: March 11, 2016, 11:17:31 AM »

Never a Def Leppard fan, myself, but I do stand behind "super dumb pop," as a rule. Whenever something is as hugely popular as they were, someone did something right.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #2582 on: March 11, 2016, 12:46:39 PM »

Pour Some Sugar On Me was kind of a "super dumb" song as the band wrote it in about five minutes as an extra song for the Hysteria record.  The fact that it became a hit even mystified the band a little. 

But, there was a lot more to Def Leppard than just that song. 

Like them or not, they had a ton of well written commercial rock songs, and that's why they continue to be a big concert draw every summer. 

I, for one, am glad to say that, for the first time really since 1999, there's new Def Leppard material worth a listen.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: March 11, 2016, 03:32:37 PM »

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: March 11, 2016, 03:54:03 PM »

I was having a conversation with my old boss, and he told me Mac DeMarco is the highest-selling artist at his record store.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: March 11, 2016, 10:00:41 PM »

I'm really happy about both of the above posts.

Also, job at a record store? Is that as exciting as I would think it would be or nah?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:01:58 PM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: March 11, 2016, 10:31:35 PM »

And Rumours is the highest-selling album in his store.

Also, job at a record store? Is that as exciting as I would think it would be or nah?

Nah, my job sucked. I imagine some of the other positions weren't as bad, though.
KDS
« Reply #2587 on: March 11, 2016, 10:53:45 PM »

Nah, my job sucked. I imagine some of the other positions weren't as bad, though.

I never worked at a record store, but I did work in the CD dept at Circuit City briefly.  I actually had a customer tell me they couldn't find The Beatles, and they were looking in the 'T' section.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: March 12, 2016, 02:18:33 AM »

I never worked at a record store, but I did work in the CD dept at Circuit City briefly.  I actually had a customer tell me they couldn't find The Beatles, and they were looking in the 'T' section.

Haha. I worked for a few months at the record department of W.H. Smith. That job certainly sucked, even though three of the major sellers at the time were (ahem) Pet Sounds, Revolver and Blonde on Blonde...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: March 12, 2016, 06:35:34 AM »

That is spectacular.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: March 12, 2016, 03:51:52 PM »

*laughs and then loses some more faith in humanity*

Haha. I worked for a few months at the record department of W.H. Smith. That job certainly sucked, even though three of the major sellers at the time were (ahem) Pet Sounds, Revolver and Blonde on Blonde...
This, however, restores some of my faith.

What am I doing with my life... should be studying for whatever finals I have coming up.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #2591 on: March 13, 2016, 07:10:29 AM »

Beverage after beverage. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:51:23 AM by Golden Raisins » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: March 13, 2016, 09:03:20 PM »

I'm playing this album right now and I'm playing it loudly and God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.
KDS
« Reply #2593 on: March 14, 2016, 05:26:07 AM »

That is spectacular.

Not quite as funny, but I also remember a customer who was miffed because she couldn't find a Mariah Carey CD in the 'M' section. 

Ah, people. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: March 14, 2016, 08:16:49 AM »

The best movement of the best version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB-woRXwY-Q

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: March 15, 2016, 05:28:54 AM »

I've since moved on to Mac D.'s Salad Days. Some great songs on there. If this be the future of pop, we're in good hands. 

I do feel slightly guilty about it, as it's still young people's music----usually I wait awhile before investigating the latest stuff.

Anyway, this is "Passing Out Pieces":     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lk3NFWw9Fg

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: March 15, 2016, 09:38:04 AM »

I've since moved on to Mac D.'s Salad Days. Some great songs on there. If this be the future of pop, we're in good hands.  

I do feel slightly guilty about it, as it's still young people's music----usually I wait awhile before investigating the latest stuff.
Don't feel guilty! This is a good thing! I try to get my dad into new-ish music and it's quite satisfying to see him open up to the bands I like.
I sure hope music moves in this direction. I don't mind some of today's electronic music but I'd much rather listen to this.

Anyway, I'm really digging "Uncle Mother's" by Protomartyr. I don't even know why I like this song. I guess getting into post-punk has opened a lot of new doors for me.

And now I'm listening to "Picture Book" by the Kinks, since apparently the "na na na nahh's" are similar in Mac's "Salad Days." The guy seems pretty influenced by them.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: March 15, 2016, 12:21:20 PM »

Tried out this one today, my first Shins album. For some reason I'm turned off by the guitar/vocal style on a lot of these songs... I can't really explain it, it's just a sound I've heard before and it doesn't excite me. The songs are probably good, I just need to get past my dumb prejudice. That said, an instant standout was "Red Rabbits." I looove that melody the synth is playing in the background the whole time.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: March 15, 2016, 12:36:50 PM »

</3

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: March 15, 2016, 02:23:01 PM »

On the subject of electronic music, a Smiley poster linked an Odesza track ("Keep Her Close") that sampled "Prayer" (darned if I can find the post in question). Anyway, it sounded great so I looked for more from them. Turns out they'd made a rather cool album called Summer's Gone. (And one of the duo calls himself Beaches Beaches!) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmdP5U2o-as 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odesza

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx