gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 05:51:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Punk Appreciation Thread  (Read 21334 times)
Jason
« on: January 11, 2006, 05:36:02 PM »

Since we had the new wave thread, why not the punk thread, since new wave was a watered down, commercialized punk.

Favorite punk band is The Clash. Favorite punk influences are the MC5 and the Velvets.
trumpet sounds
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 05:41:47 PM »

Favorite punk band is The Ramones. Favorite punk influence are the Stooges.

Kind of reminds me of an old Smile board poll.

Is your household a Stooges Household or a Velvets household?
Chris D.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 05:44:11 PM »

Hardcore Devo
Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 05:55:31 PM »

Funny this should come up, I'm on a major Pistols/Clash kick at the moment. I'm on a mission trying to gather together all the weird little oddities both band's have released that never made it onto the major compilations.

Pistols: Here We Go Again, Black Leather, the version of Silly Thing with Steve on vocals instead of Paul, the alternate take of Who Killed Bambi. (Some of you guys probably wouldn't consider the post-Rotten band to be the Pistols at all, but I like 'em. Less menace, more dumb fun, but Cook 'n Jones could still build up a head of steam.)

Clash: a clutch of b-sides and remixes. Almost there.

I'm real close to having everything by both bands.
Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 05:57:44 PM »

Hardcore Devo
Do you have those Chris? I was on a Devo website for half the night last night reading up on that good early stuff. Wanna get it, I LOVE the original Jocko Homo, one of the greatest singles of the seventies.
Chris D.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 06:03:10 PM »

Pistols: Here We Go Again, Black Leather, the version of Silly Thing with Steve on vocals instead of Paul, the alternate take of Who Killed Bambi. (Some of you guys probably wouldn't consider the post-Rotten band to be the Pistols at all, but I like 'em. Less menace, more dumb fun, but Cook 'n Jones could still build up a head of steam.)

Clash: a clutch of b-sides and remixes. Almost there.

I'm real close to having everything by both bands.

I don't think Paul sings on any version of "Silly Thing."  As far as I know that's a misprint.  It says it on The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle, right?  Awesome song, though.  Even Lydon liked it.

The Clash definitely have more rare stuff than the Pistols (right?), thanks to 12" singles, I guess.  Good luck!  Do you have Rat Patrol?

Do you have those Chris? I was on a Devo website for half the night last night reading up on that good early stuff. Wanna get it, I LOVE the original Jocko Homo, one of the greatest singles of the seventies.

I have them all, and they're fucking fantastic.  All 3 volumes are worth seeking out.  The first two definitely give you a slightly different picture of the group.  Lost origins of punk like finding early Television bootlegs or hearing Rocket From the Tombs.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 06:06:21 PM »

I listened to these three in the 70's and I STILL listen to them:

- The New York Dolls (sad story, really)
- The Dictators (remember them?)
- The Stranglers (early period was a favorite)
Jason
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 06:21:34 PM »

Don't forget The Modern Lovers.
Nick T.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 06:39:52 PM »

Buzzcocks.

And for the record, I checked with the missus and our household is most certainly a Velvets household!

Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 06:43:21 PM »

Chris,

Yeah, the Clash have more rarities than the Pistols, as you said, weird 12-inchers, flexis and stuff.

I know for sure there are two distinct Silly Things. I've got them both, but I want the rarer one on CD, I only have an old single. The Cook 'n Jones website "Kick Down The Doors" says the version on the Swindle album is Paul, and the later rerecording for the single had Steve on the mic. It's on a comp called "The Swindle Continues" which I'll have to get. That's also got "Here We Go Again" so it'll be two birds with one stone.

Yep, I have Rat Patrol. Drop me a line if you need it. I like it. It would've been a suicidally uncommercial move after Sandinista, a double album of yet more "self indulgence", but given that I love Sandinista, that's a pretty appealing proposition.

Velvets forever.
Chris D.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 07:01:37 PM »

Chance -- my mistake on the Cook/Jones stuff.  The Swindle Continues has an awesome version.  That was actually the first Sex Pistols CD I got, back in 7th grade.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 07:09:05 PM »

The first style of music I fell in love with!
Descendents, All, Dagnasty and Jawbreaker are among my favorites.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 06:15:55 AM »

I love me some Buzzcocks (Singles Going Steady, mainly), The Jam (all of it), Sex Pistols (album, Spunk bootleg), Ramones (first 5 albums), The Clash(some, anyway). I also like X and X-Ray Spex.

Watch out for snakes!
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 06:35:50 AM »

I'm SO a New York punk guy rather than a British one. Fave "punk" bands -- Television, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Ramones, Talking Heads, Blondie.

zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 07:45:20 AM »

Other unmentioned names THE DAMNED, THE ADVERTS, GEN X, SLAUGHTER AND THE DOG, SLF, SIOUXIE AND THE BANSHEES, JOHNNY THUNDERS, RICHARD HELL

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité
Nick T.
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2006, 08:08:05 AM »

Me likey UK and LA punk!

the mighty Subway Sect!

and tha Germs

SLF--that took me a second to figure that out.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2006, 08:20:50 AM »

my fave punk band is a local  group here in Boston called Mission of Burma .a lot of you probably never heard these guy's . they had a local hit called That's when i reach for my revolver......they were sorta of a arty punk band , one of the guy's would play tape loops during a show. And they played LOUD .so LOUD that the lead singer Roger miller had to quit because of ringing in his ears.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 08:30:35 AM »

Oh yeah, I've heard of them. I got the Rykodisc reissue of their Vs. album, but it's one of those "buy it, listen to it once" things for me.  Undecided

Watch out for snakes!
Nick T.
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 08:44:31 AM »

MoB are fantastic--plus they're back together and from most accounts are just as good.  Haven't seen them or heard their new recordings but I do like vs. quite a bit.  Even got into the Birdsongs of the Meszoic(sp) stuff for a bit; they brought up the tape loops to the fore on those.  A little more post punk maybe. 

mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 08:50:11 AM »

signals, calls and marches  was the EP i bought back in 1981........this is the one you want to get!

Jason
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 09:29:17 AM »

Suicide kicks ass.
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 09:42:33 AM »

the mighty Subway Sect!

and tha Germs

YES! Of course! Bangs her forehead!

Irish punk : Rudi, The Outcasts, The Vipers, The idiots
French punk : Stinky Toys, Oberkampf, La Souris déglinguée, Wunderbach, Little Bob Story

And those guys who came before punk: Dr Feelgood, Eddie and the Hot Rods
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 09:46:20 AM by zelilgirlI1cenu » Logged

Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 10:33:08 AM »

Love the Rods, and just got my first taste of the 101'ers in recent weeks - really like that stuff too! I was surprised how good they were.

We need to mention the Tom Robinson Band, too. "Power In The Darkness" is a great album.
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2006, 01:22:47 PM »

Love the Rods, and just got my first taste of the 101'ers in recent weeks - really like that stuff too! I was surprised how good they were.

We need to mention the Tom Robinson Band, too. "Power In The Darkness" is a great album.

Indeed the 101ers came to mind, then I forgot, so glad you mentioned them. Yes whatever happened to Barry Masters?

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2006, 02:54:29 PM »

The Damned. The only real punk band.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: