gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680975 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 07:14:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The inclusion of Don't fight the sea' would make a much better album  (Read 5316 times)
jpinmyroom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2012, 07:11:07 AM »

I've been listening to the album constantly and there are 3 tracks i don't really like

Beaches in mind, daybreak over the ocean and bill and sue. The rest of the tracks are great (im even starting to enjoy the cheesy lyrics in SV)

That said i think this album would be ALOT better if one of the 3 tracks were substituted for Don't fight the sea!!

Anyone agree??
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 07:14:38 AM »

I can dig this. I think Al let his songs out too early and blew his chances of getting anything on the album.

But it's cool, I still enjoy both separately.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 07:18:44 AM »

I agree.

1. The album could use a little more life.
2. I think Al should've been represented with a self-penned song.
3. I don't think it would've hurt the album lengthwise to include a 13th song.
4. It would've gotten Carl's voice on the album (but I have a feeling "they" didn't want that)
5. I love the song!

But.....it would've been slightly strange to take the song off of an album that was just released. However - and no disrespect to Al - I don't know how many people actually heard it. Maybe they could've used an alternate take. God knows Al probably has several of them.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 07:22:50 AM »

I agree.

1. The album could use a little more life.
2. I think Al should've been represented with a self-penned song.
3. I don't think it would've hurt the album lengthwise to include a 13th song.
4. It would've gotten Carl's voice on the album (but I have a feeling "they" didn't want that)
5. I love the song!

My thoughts exactly. For all these reasons, and also because I feel the new album doesn't have enough Al lead vocals, it would have been great to include "Don't Fight the Sea".

But production-wise it would have sounded even more out of place on the album than "Daybreak"...  Undecided

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 07:39:15 AM »

Imagine though if a few of your least favourite tracks on the new album were replaced by your new Al favourites from Postcard.

Even without a new Bruce song stuff like Looking down the coast, san simeon, and I always will could have made TWGMTR more consistantly epic!

Shame it didn't have a longer incubation period with more equal contribution from all Beach Boys.

Above I posted in another TWGMTR thread here.

After another poster commented on how well Tidepool Interlude matches Strange World I think I'm going to do a TWGMTR/Postcard edit album!

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 07:56:52 AM »

I've been listening to the album constantly and there are 3 tracks i don't really like

Beaches in mind, daybreak over the ocean and bill and sue. The rest of the tracks are great (im even starting to enjoy the cheesy lyrics in SV)

That said i think this album would be ALOT better if one of the 3 tracks were substituted for Don't fight the sea!!

Anyone agree??

Interesting. Awesome song.  I caught Al and his band last fall in Newport, RI, and wow, it is just incredible done live with all the sound effects.  That would be great in the tour setlist, especially if they could slide Carl's section in.  Al's album is really neat.  Even just to get the downloadable version.  It shows really incredible effort and attention to every detail.
And the last song, And I Always Will. Another absolute gem.  Wink

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 07:58:48 AM »

Anyone agree??

Yeah.  I'm not so keen on the same three that you mention, although Mike's track is growing on me.  If they would have re-recorded the backing track for Don't Fight The Sea (to fit the same production style as the rest of the album), it could have replaced one of those others, and I would have been fine with that.  I think this album could have used an Al cut.  But hey, we've got 'em all, we can do as we wish with making our own comps.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 08:03:54 AM »

If they would have re-recorded the backing track for Don't Fight The Sea (to fit the same production style as the rest of the album), it could have replaced one of those others, and I would have been fine with that.

I wouldn't replace any songs. But, I agree, if Joe...er, Brian could've tweaked the production of "Don't Fight The Sea", I could see it fitting nicely between "The Private Life Of Bill And Sue" and "Daybreak". Just a thought...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 08:51:12 AM »

People have commented on how the album kind of sags in the middle, "Don't Fight The Sea" really would have helped that, I agree.  A little bit of teeth, right where the album needs it.  I'm not a huge fan of the song, but it does Rock. 
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 08:59:27 AM »

Slot in "Waves of Love" between "Shelter" and "Daybreak" and it sounds great.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 09:03:16 AM »

Yep. Absolutely. Wasn't that considered for the album at one time? I thought I read something...
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 09:45:42 AM »

Maybe if Mike hadn't used "Cool Head" on the Hallmark disc they could have used it here. I really like the song.

If they do a follow up maybe they can revive "She's Still A Mystery" and bring Carl back that way.

I
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 01:37:53 PM »

Yep. Absolutely. Wasn't that considered for the album at one time? I thought I read something...

Everyone assumed it would be on the album up until the day they unveiled the official tracklist.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 02:13:55 PM »

I know this isn't possible, but some of the Wilson/Paley era songs would have been cool. I'm thinking new backing tracks and new vocals.

"My Mary Anne" would be soooo cool as a BB track - picture Mike doing the opening bass vocals. Although Melinda doesn't like it when Brian sings about other girls nowadays (this peeves me a bit).

"You're Still A Mystery" obviously would have been a cool canidate - and also "It's Not Easy Being Me" could have worked in the context of the suite.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 02:30:36 PM »

I know this isn't possible, but some of the Wilson/Paley era songs would have been cool. I'm thinking new backing tracks and new vocals.

"My Mary Anne" would be soooo cool as a BB track - picture Mike doing the opening bass vocals. Although Melinda doesn't like it when Brian sings about other girls nowadays (this peeves me a bit).

"You're Still A Mystery" obviously would have been a cool canidate - and also "It's Not Easy Being Me" could have worked in the context of the suite.

I don't know, these songs are so great that they would make the rest of the album...kinda suck.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 02:33:54 PM »

So, if things can be patched up with Joe Thomas via a phonecall about Australian toilets, what are the odds for Andy Paley?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 02:50:34 PM »

Aye, but the album has already used it up its official quota of songs with the word "vibrations" in. Suspect that's the real reason WoL was nixxed.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 03:29:03 PM »

Anyone agree??

No.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 06:11:06 PM »

No. Don't Fight The Sea is crap. Saved by good performances, but not worthy.

Then again, some things that made the album were also not worthy.... but still better than Don't Fight The Sea.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 08:40:42 PM »

It's already been released. 

I was hoping for one new song each by Al, Bruce and David.
That formula worked well on Sunflower.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 08:54:47 PM »

Only if they changed the lyrics to "Don't bite my wee" or "Don't fight the pee" which is what I usually sing as I am a five year old trapped in the body of 26 year old. help me get me out of here he has a third nipple and its inside of his mouthgrjeahj8yu55555

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 02:56:17 AM »

I think Don't Fight The Sea is great and also think it would make a better addition to this new album than some of the tracks in the middle. I've swapped the tracks between Isn't It Time and Strange World for California Feeling, Looking Down The coast and Don't Fight The Sea and it's a vast improvement for me, feeling much more like a Beach Boys album (albeit a super short one, like Friends). I've even taken the trouble to fade the sound effects in/out on the Al tracks where necessary so they blend better into the line-up, but I'm somewhat OCD like that.

Al's version of Calfifornia Feelin is incredible. Also, with this playlist, the intro of Strange World comes in exactly where the Tidepool Interlude would be so it feels  totally natural  as both bits of music are remarkably similar as others have noted.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:02:25 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 10:36:37 AM »

hmm, I'll have to see how the tracklisting feels with:

Spring Vacation
Shelter
Waves of Love
Daybreak
Don't Fight the Sea
Strange World

As the middle songs

*edit*... tried it, much better.  Still feels like it needs something more that rocks in the middle there, but this one doesn't drag nearly as much and doesn't feel like it turns into a Brian solo album.  Instead we have a Brian/Foskett song, Al/Carl, Mike song, then a group song with Al on lead before Brian's suite
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:01:38 PM by Fro » Logged
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 04:31:37 PM »

I ditched Beaches in Mind and replaced it with Waves of Love as the eighth track on the album for my iPod. Waves of Love segues nicely very into Strange World.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »

If "Don't fight the sea" had been included instead of the three songs you mentioned, we'd be bitching that

A. the album would be too short

B. they did not have enough originals to fill an album

Not every song has to be equally enjoyed by everybody, and it's ok.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx