gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680894 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 01:39:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson: \  (Read 1292 times)
Mithras
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:36:16 AM »

From BW.COM:

Brian WIlson Returns to Southbank Centre with Newly Commissioned Suite

For Six Nights Only in September 2007 at The Royal Festival Hall

Having called London's Royal Festival Hall his "spiritual home away from home," Brian Wilson, legendary writer, producer, arranger and performer of some of the most unforgettable and inspirational music in rock history, returns in September 2007 for six nights with a concert repertoire highlighted by the world premiere of a brand-new work. Commissioned by Southbank Centre as part of its opening season, Wilson reveals that the piece "is called That Lucky Old Sun (a Narrative), and as he describes it, "will consist of four ‘rounds’, with interspersed spoken word."

In addition to that premiere, there will be quite a few other surprises in the concerts: Brian will be digging even deeper into his remarkable song catalogue and with his formidable ten-piece band, will be presenting a number of his classic compositions that he has never performed live as well at least one song in honour of a very important anniversary.

Glenn Max, Producer, Meltdown Festival & Music Programmes at Southbank Centre says: ‘Despite his status as a 'pop genius' and his countless musical achievements, Brian has always had to struggle courageously against adversial forces and a historic lack of support from the industry and those around him. I'm very proud to be part of an organisation that has consistently backed Brian's most creative work. He deserves this.’

Brian Wilson previously performed at the Royal Festival Hall in January and June 2002 and in February 2004, when the South Bank was home to the world premiere of Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE. The January 2002 dates were his first ever performances as a solo artist in the UK and at those shows, Wilson performed nearly two-dozen of his greatest hits including the much celebrated recording, Pet Sounds in its entirety.

The four January 2002 concerts sold out immediately and were greeted with such acclaim that when Wilson was invited to perform at the Queen’s Jubilee Concert in June of that year, he returned to Royal Festival Hall for two more SRO nights. Among those who attended Brian’s Festival Hall performances were, Paul McCartney, Roger Daltrey, Eric Clapton, Elvis Costello, Richard Ashcroft, and others. The gigs were cited as the "Concert of the Year" by most UK critics. Brian Wilson and the Royal Festival Hall were honoured with the 'Live Event of the Year Award' (2002) by Time Out Magazine.

In February 2004, for the first time in his 40-year career, Wilson performed his mythical unreleased masterpiece, Smile, live at the Royal Festival Hall, propelling that symphonic work to global acclaim, a gold record in the UK and worldwide sales approaching one million. Those 2004 concerts included classic Beach Boys and Brian Wilson favourites as well as selections from his most recent solo album Gettin’ In Over My Head (Rhino 2004), his first 21st -century studio album.

Born and raised in California, Wilson co-founded The Beach Boys with his two younger brothers Carl and Dennis, cousin Mike Love and school friend Alan Jardine. They became the most successful American rock band in history.

The Beach Boys and Wilson are responsible for such spectacular works as Good Vibrations, I Get Around, Help Me Rhonda, California Girls, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder), God Only Knows and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.

Listings Information:
Brian Wilson
Southbank Centre
Royal Festival Hall – 10, 11, 12, 14, 15 and 16 September, 7.30pm
Tickets £55 £45 £35
Ticket Office: 0871 663 2500 / www.southbankcentre.co.uk

« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 08:37:36 AM by Mithras » Logged
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 09:22:36 AM »

Glenn Max, Producer, Meltdown Festival & Music Programmes at Southbank Centre says: ‘Despite his status as a 'pop genius' and his countless musical achievements, Brian has always had to struggle courageously against adversial forces and a historic lack of support from the industry and those around him. I'm very proud to be part of an organisation that has consistently backed Brian's most creative work. He deserves this.’

Sweet.  Cool Guy

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx