gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681062 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 08:53:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416521 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2850 on: September 14, 2012, 09:15:58 AM »

I do.

Man, that must have amounted to what, thirty, forty dollars over the last few decades? YOU LUCKY DOG UUU
Biggest sale would prolly have came from Spirit of America release

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: September 17, 2012, 07:03:41 AM »

I want to believe that one day soon Karen Allen will ask me to be her sex slave. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.  Grin
doghorn? is that even a word? yeah and there's a hamster-theremin in I Just Wasn't Made for These Times.
I have to ask again because I want to believe

Is there a pet sound on each and every track of Pet Sounds? Can you make the argument?

The Pet Sound was a supersonic dog whistle (undetectable to the human ear). It's on the entire album.

I'm very disapppointed with the three of you. What kind of Beach boys fans are you?

the timpanis on I'm Waiting for the Day resemble a hippo walking.   Wink

Good job! This is what I'm talking about brother.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2852 on: September 17, 2012, 03:43:52 PM »

I'm very disapppointed with the three of you. What kind of Beach boys fans are you?

fans who know there's no such thing as a doghorn!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: September 17, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »

I want to believe that one day soon Karen Allen will ask me to be her sex slave. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.  Grin
doghorn? is that even a word? yeah and there's a hamster-theremin in I Just Wasn't Made for These Times.
I have to ask again because I want to believe

Is there a pet sound on each and every track of Pet Sounds? Can you make the argument?

The Pet Sound was a supersonic dog whistle (undetectable to the human ear). It's on the entire album.

the timpanis on I'm Waiting for the Day resemble a hippo walking.   Wink

Good job! This is what I'm talking about brother.
why thank you

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: September 17, 2012, 11:59:14 PM »

LOL

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2855 on: September 18, 2012, 12:16:29 AM »

that's a bicycle horn! URRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:20:22 AM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: September 18, 2012, 02:01:55 AM »

LOL

if it's a doghorn,you're a greenhorn, then.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: September 18, 2012, 07:52:24 AM »

What's up with "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel"? I'm not talking about the Sweet Insanity version. I have two versions, both just vocal and piano. One sounds like Brian, and the other one is in a higher voice. Is this someone else or has the pitch been adjusted? When did this song originate?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: September 18, 2012, 12:11:38 PM »

I was looking at the Back to Mono boxset booklet, which is fab, but I thought it was odd that Brian get's a credit as a keyboard player and his picture is featured with other artists/Wrecking Crew members (the dark red/white stripe, famous from PS sessions photos) I've actually not seen the pic anywhere else except in that booklet.

I honestly thought Brian just played piano on one of the Christmas tunes and/or The Times Are Chaging (bythe Blossoms) and Phil had Brian leave during the session anyways...though he did later get a pay check for it...I found his credit sorta confusing.
I just had my girlfriend take a picture of the photo from the boxset booklet. I tagged it on my facebook, if you're friends with me, look on Justin Plank's wall. I also posted it on the FB groups for the BB SMiLE and the Appreciation Group for Love You.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: September 18, 2012, 12:14:05 PM »

I was looking at the Back to Mono boxset booklet, which is fab, but I thought it was odd that Brian get's a credit as a keyboard player and his picture is featured with other artists/Wrecking Crew members (the dark red/white stripe, famous from PS sessions photos) I've actually not seen the pic anywhere else except in that booklet.

I honestly thought Brian just played piano on one of the Christmas tunes and/or The Times Are Chaging (bythe Blossoms) and Phil had Brian leave during the session anyways...though he did later get a pay check for it...I found his credit sorta confusing.
I just had my girlfriend take a picture of the photo from the boxset booklet. I tagged it on my facebook, if you're friends with me, look on Justin Plank's wall. I also posted it on the FB groups for the BB SMiLE and the Appreciation Group for Love You.
Also, of special note, I noticed that Brian's photo (I think!) is the only one with no credit as to where the photo is from. Maybe from Capitol's archives? Wait, this would have been a Phillies Record release. Anyways, most of them say from Spector collection, so I have no idea where it came from.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: September 18, 2012, 12:24:36 PM »

I just bought the Beach Boys by Dean Anthony for 5$ used on Amazon. Wow, what a waste of book! I do enjoy ALL the pictures in here but there's very little text. If you took at the text and put it together, it'd be about 3/4 of a page. Seems like a lot of pics are from the mid 80s. There's like 5 pics of Mike that have Dean T, Brian, and Ron Altbach with t-shirts that say It's Almost Summer Celebration at USC (I think, I could be wrong). Is this from a mini tour of Celebration?

What's everyone think of this book? It seems more like a tour book from the 80s.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2861 on: September 20, 2012, 08:07:34 AM »

Does anyone know if the coat Brian is wearing in this picture is the same as his "Pet Sounds" coat? I would find it pretty surprising if someone with Brian's money held onto the same coat for like 7 years, but Brian's a pretty sentimental guy.

dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: September 20, 2012, 07:34:58 PM »

does anyone know why they let Dennis appear on GMA in a comatose state? They should have said that he was sick and wouldn't come. Mike and Al have that look on their face in the interview like "who the f--- brought Denny?"
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: September 20, 2012, 10:32:08 PM »

I wonder who in the group rolled the best joints...
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: September 20, 2012, 11:27:09 PM »

Not really a question but more of a frustration.  I just found out that Mike recorded a version of "Daybreak" back in the 80s with a Carl backing vocal.  Why wouldn't they use that Carl vocal for the album version?  If they were going to record a song that was already recorded with a Carl vocal, they should have used that Carl vocal.  Especially for such a bland song, that would have added a little something to it.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2865 on: September 21, 2012, 12:04:18 AM »

well, obviously because it would've sounded completely out of place.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: September 21, 2012, 01:43:14 AM »

does anyone know why they let Dennis appear on GMA in a comatose state? They should have said that he was sick and wouldn't come. Mike and Al have that look on their face in the interview like "who the f--- brought Denny?"

Man, that interview is sad. I can imagine he would have insisted he was fine, mind, because it's just a few drinks.... *collapses*

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: September 21, 2012, 12:04:56 PM »

Not really a question but more of a frustration.  I just found out that Mike recorded a version of "Daybreak" back in the 80s with a Carl backing vocal.  Why wouldn't they use that Carl vocal for the album version?  If they were going to record a song that was already recorded with a Carl vocal, they should have used that Carl vocal.  Especially for such a bland song, that would have added a little something to it.

It could have been another one of those releases like Brian did for GIOMH with a posthumous vocal of Soul Searching. I wouldn't have a problem with Carl being on there.

Just like on Al's album having Carl and the guys on Don't Fight the Sea, very appropriate. How sad and angry would you be had he just re-recorded by himself and added Alec Baldwin to the vocal mix.  Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: September 21, 2012, 12:05:29 PM »

Nix that extra post. library computers are being cri-zazy today
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 12:07:28 PM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2869 on: September 21, 2012, 01:36:02 PM »

Would anyone be able to inform me of the tracklisting for the 2-CD bootleg: The Beach Boys - Our Favourite Recordings (the cd with the band turning into cartoon animals on the cover - Al is a duck, Mike a dog, etc)? Or at least somewhere where i can find out the tracklisting. I've looked on all the usual sites and can't seem to find reference to it anywhere. Thanks!
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: September 21, 2012, 01:46:22 PM »

Would anyone be able to inform me of the tracklisting for the 2-CD bootleg: The Beach Boys - Our Favourite Recordings (the cd with the band turning into cartoon animals on the cover - Al is a duck, Mike a dog, etc)? Or at least somewhere where i can find out the tracklisting. I've looked on all the usual sites and can't seem to find reference to it anywhere. Thanks!

http://www.discogs.com/Beach-Boys-Our-Favorite-Recordings/release/3231203

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2871 on: September 21, 2012, 02:58:21 PM »

It could have been another one of those releases like Brian did for GIOMH with a posthumous vocal of Soul Searching. I wouldn't have a problem with Carl being on there.

Just like on Al's album having Carl and the guys on Don't Fight the Sea, very appropriate. How sad and angry would you be had he just re-recorded by himself and added Alec Baldwin to the vocal mix.  Wink

I like that TWGMTR didn't have any rerecordings or Carl ghostvocals. It presents the Beach Boys as a current band with all new songs, which is what every Beach Boys album should be.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #2872 on: September 21, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »

Which song contains Al Jardine's most Brian-ish sounding lead vocal?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:18:44 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2873 on: September 21, 2012, 03:17:56 PM »

Falsetto on Be Here in the Morning.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: September 21, 2012, 03:38:05 PM »

Which song contains Al Jardine's most Brian-ish sounding lead vocal?

I Know There's An Answer is a pretty goid example of that. I'd also echo Be Here In The Morning.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx