gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 12:40:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416553 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: August 31, 2011, 01:32:18 PM »

Why is it that we can hear some kind of bleed from Mike's vocal on the instrumental of Catch A Wave from Stack-O-Tracks?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: August 31, 2011, 02:09:10 PM »

Why is it that we can hear some kind of bleed from Mike's vocal on the instrumental of Catch A Wave from Stack-O-Tracks?

The backing track was copied from the multi-tracks (containing vocals as well) and the playback heads weren't perfectly aligned?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: September 01, 2011, 05:57:45 PM »

Thanks, although that does seem a curious state of affairs re: licensing. Why would having to construct new mixes be seen as an effective solution?

Also, does anyone know if Brian singing 'It's Just A Matter Of Time' live (or in the studio, for that matter) exists in full? Peppered maladies would be greatly appreciated....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: September 01, 2011, 06:49:02 PM »

A bunch of people are over at my house tonight watching (American) football, and one of them was asking me to confirm or debunk a myth he had heard. It has to do with Brian Jones. According to the rumor he heard, Brian and (our) Brian were tripping together, and Brian Jones started to mess around on the piano, after which Brian Wilson took that idea and expanded it into California Girls. I confirmed that, yes, it was my understanding that Brian wrote that song after/during an LSD trip, but I don't recall Brian Jones being in the picture at the time. That said, meetings between the two Brians does ring a bell, but I can't remember details...

Could someone please fill in the gaps here? As far as is known, when and where did the two Brians meet, what happened, etc.? Thanks.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: September 01, 2011, 07:38:20 PM »

I believe Brian's only extended contact with the Rolling Stones was in early August, 1966 when the band was in L.A. recording BETWEEN THE BUTTONS. The oft-told story has Brian visiting the studio during the tracking of "My Obsession" and getting so stoned he can't find the door. If Brian Jones inspired a Brian song at all, it would probably be something from SMiLE.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: September 01, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »

Thanks Roger, good stuff.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: September 01, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »

*deleted*
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:17:47 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: September 02, 2011, 10:31:33 AM »

Isn't this credit wrong? On my I Can Hear Music single, the credit for All I Want To Do is Dave Wilson, but wasn't it Dennis? And is there a Dave Wilson?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: September 02, 2011, 02:18:10 PM »

I was reading the Jack Rieley email thread the other day (for ages!) and I saw that he wrote Feel Flows with Carl under the 'heavy influence of powder' or something along those lines. Now, I know that Carl had substance abuse problems towards the late 70s but it seems he was taking hard drugs earlier than that, is this true? To what extent did he use drugs in the early days? In a way I don't like to read about these things but it does add to the tragedy of it all really. Which of course resulted in amazing songs.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1834 on: September 02, 2011, 02:24:57 PM »

A bunch of people are over at my house tonight watching (American) football, and one of them was asking me to confirm or debunk a myth he had heard. It has to do with Brian Jones. According to the rumor he heard, Brian and (our) Brian were tripping together, and Brian Jones started to mess around on the piano, after which Brian Wilson took that idea and expanded it into California Girls. I confirmed that, yes, it was my understanding that Brian wrote that song after/during an LSD trip, but I don't recall Brian Jones being in the picture at the time. That said, meetings between the two Brians does ring a bell, but I can't remember details...

Could someone please fill in the gaps here? As far as is known, when and where did the two Brians meet, what happened, etc.? Thanks.

Concisely, tosh.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1835 on: September 02, 2011, 02:25:39 PM »

Isn't this credit wrong? On my I Can Hear Music single, the credit for All I Want To Do is Dave Wilson, but wasn't it Dennis? And is there a Dave Wilson?

Yes it was... and no, there isn't.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: September 02, 2011, 06:06:54 PM »

Are Diane and/or Marilyn on the Rolling Up To Heaven track? I've listened to the recording several times, and to me it sounds like there are female voices singing near the end of the track.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: September 03, 2011, 04:38:51 PM »

Does anyone know anything of this?

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8589313

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beach-Boys-Christmas-Album/dp/B005GK6QRU

http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Boys-Christmas-Album/dp/B005GK6QRU/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

"The Beach Boys' Christmas Album" Out October 4th. If it's anything it looks like another reissue, but the question is what tracks would be on it? Please not like "Christmas with The Beach Boys", last thing I'd like is yet another track cut off.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: September 06, 2011, 01:45:26 PM »

I have an original UK All Summer Long Vinyl pressing, and the last 3 songs (Unsure about OFRS though) Are in strangely low quality sound compared to teh rest of the album. is this normal?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: September 07, 2011, 09:28:05 AM »

How well does Brian know Spanish? Is he conversant? Can he say just a few simple phrases? I'm curious since he has at least spoken some sentences in songs over the years.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1840 on: September 07, 2011, 09:34:26 AM »

How well does Brian know Spanish? Is he conversant? Can he say just a few simple phrases? I'm curious since he has at least spoken some sentences in songs over the years.

He took Spanish at Hawthorne High - got a B as I recall.

I remembered that without even thinking, much less looking it up.  I just scared myself...  Ahhh!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:35:35 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: September 07, 2011, 09:43:21 AM »

I have an original UK All Summer Long Vinyl pressing, and the last 3 songs (Unsure about OFRS though) Are in strangely low quality sound compared to teh rest of the album. is this normal?

Hey, my copy does this too - It's an old UK mono one, although don't know about original. I just thought it was cos my copy was rather beat up, but they are drastically lower quality than the rest. Drive-In, especially.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: September 09, 2011, 09:58:42 AM »

Hey, my copy does this too - It's an old UK mono one, although don't know about original. I just thought it was cos my copy was rather beat up, but they are drastically lower quality than the rest. Drive-In, especially.

Yeah!, the moment that kicks in after Girls on The Beach, Something wierd happens. The strange part is I'm sure i read something about it before... And yes, mine is Mono too.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: September 09, 2011, 10:36:11 AM »

I was listening to Summer Means New Love the other day and I have to say I'm surprised this never made it to the setlist for any Brian Wilson show...Brian has often mentioned his fondness of the Summer Days album...let a lone all the songs he's done (live) in recent years: Salt Lake City, California Girls, Help Me Rhonda (to be expected), You're So Good to Me, And Your Dreams Come True, Girl Don't Tell Me, and Then I Kissed Her...phew, that's a lot from that album....But with the strings and talented musicians in Brian's group, I'm surprised it didn't make an appearence...heck, make it a medley with After the Game, that'll show em!

Same thing with Diamon Head, that'd be a helluva instrumental live! make it a Hawaiin Medley (Hawaii/Kona Coast/Little Pad/Diamond Head)...I'd enjoy it at least

My question is: have any of these instrumentals popped up as possibilities for a BW show?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:38:10 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1844 on: September 09, 2011, 10:47:41 AM »

I was listening to Summer Means New Love the other day and I have to say I'm surprised this never made it to the setlist for any Brian Wilson show...Brian has often mentioned his fondness of the Summer Days album...let a lone all the songs he's done (live) in recent years: Salt Lake City, California Girls, Help Me Rhonda (to be expected), You're So Good to Me, And Your Dreams Come True, Girl Don't Tell Me, and Then I Kissed Her...phew, that's a lot from that album....But with the strings and talented musicians in Brian's group, I'm surprised it didn't make an appearence...heck, make it a medley with After the Game, that'll show em!

Same thing with Diamon Head, that'd be a helluva instrumental live! make it a Hawaiin Medley (Hawaii/Kona Coast/Little Pad/Diamond Head)...I'd enjoy it at least

My question is: have any of these instrumentals popped up as possibilities for a BW show?

"Diamond Head" was an early candidate for BWPS.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: September 11, 2011, 11:20:45 AM »

they'd need a pedal steel to pull off Diamond Head... i wonder if Probyn plays at all?

maybe they could give Ricky a call

or Al Vescovo of course. he'd be ideal

Brian could play rocks, tub of water, and reverb unit just like the original.

Little Pad would be a killer inclusion to the setlist. and a lot easier to pull off instrumentally.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:15:25 PM by bossaroo » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: September 11, 2011, 12:38:24 PM »

let alone the re-recordings of Let Him Run Wild over the latter part of the 90s

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: September 11, 2011, 02:33:46 PM »

What pics are on the back of the Cabinessence/Wonderful 45 from MOJO? I saw em in a video, I've never seen them before.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1848 on: September 11, 2011, 02:43:06 PM »

Close-up of tape boxes.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: September 12, 2011, 08:52:03 AM »

Close-up of tape boxes.
I'm sorry, I wrote that wrong, I was referring to the 45 itself...the pics of the guys, i've never seen before

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx