gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680898 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 01:58:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Markus Sandlund 1975-2004  (Read 3940 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2014, 02:05:49 AM »

Spare a thought today for Markus, lost in the great tsunami ten years ago.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 03:09:47 AM »

I remember Brian being on Larry King talking about Markus.

This day 10 years ago was so surreal. Can't believe it's been 10 years.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 03:57:19 AM »

I was able to get to know the Stockholm Strings gang a little bit during the week when I videoed dozens of hours of backstage material for the Smile DVD concert in Burbank. He was a quiet and serious gentleman, usually the first musician to appear onstage to start practicing his (familiar) riffs. Starting at about 4:30 in this clip, you can see Markus alone, practicing, and then the rest of the Strings start coming in, and then they "accompany" my little silent portrait of Brian doing a lighting check and getting himself ready to perform. Nice moments right before the start of the first show at Burbank. My fan life with Brian had come full circle that week, being able to spend so much time with the band and seeing Brian finally realize the Smile dream that we fans had also been having all those years. Never thought I'd see the day, and never thought I would be able to have what was essentially a private experience with the making of that music right in front of me. The Stockholm Strings were really a lovely part of that whole mellow vibe that made Smile live possible for Brian Wilson and his band.

https://vimeo.com/24367561

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 03:58:15 AM by PS » Logged
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 11:48:20 AM »

Spare a thought today for Markus, lost in the great tsunami ten years ago.

Andrew , many thanks for starting this thread.
I was only thinking of Markus a few days ago when the media mentioned that the 10th anniversary of the tsunami was coming up (phew those 10 years have gone so so quickly)
Thoughts for all people effected by those horrid events.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 02:03:43 PM »

Markus's death is never far from my mind whenever I listen to/read about/think of BWPS. What a horrific fate and what a waste of a young life.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »

What a shock and what a sorrow-filled startler that news was.  So many of us had been to see Brian and his AWESOME crew perform 'Smile' here, there, and everywhere and then came the news that Markus was gone!!! Sad

Smile ... Markus.  It didn't make any sense.  It still doesn't.

Good call Andrew.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »

Amen

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 05:12:17 PM »

Brian singing "Love and Mercy" for Markus in 2005.
Beautiful, emotional performance.  My eyes got watery watching it.
http://youtu.be/1dRI1TpdoxE
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 05:16:44 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 01:00:32 PM »

Thanks so much for remembering Markus.  I hope I'm not out of line here, but what many of you may not know is that Brian and family, brokenhearted, did everything they could to help the family and his fiancee find or recover Markus...Sadly, when a massive tsunami is involved even the full resources of governments can only do so much...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »

I remember they sent someone out to search for him. Hopeless quest, of course, but a wonderful gesture.

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 03:28:38 PM »

I remember they sent someone out to search for him. Hopeless quest, of course, but a wonderful gesture.

Yes, they went to unbelievable lengths.  They called in every resource, and money was no object.  So you're no longer, yon?
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 04:15:52 PM »

The Stockholm Strings brought a lot to those magnificent Smile performances.  Playing with the vegetables, wearing the fire hats, their relatively youthful enthusiasm...I always get a big kick out of them when I watch the videos.

Yes rest in peace.  The enormity of the Tsunami makes me think about the old Brian post-Smile quote on "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow."  That a fire didn't have be raging, you could light a candle.  Conversely, this water wasn't in a glass.  Nature is beautiful and terrifyingly powerful....

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 11:35:22 PM »

I wasn't entirely sure - my memory isn't the best - so I checked and it was announced on June 1st 2005 that Markus had been found. He was buried in his hometown of Norrfjärden in Sweden on June 16th.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx