gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680896 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 05, 2024, 12:25:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 149 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1412971 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: February 25, 2013, 07:46:52 PM »

It's not pure falsetto, but on "Spring Vacation" Brian gets pretty high when he sings "Hallelujah", and on "Pacific Coast Highway" when he sings "I'm better on my own..."

Time is flying by, and in a couple of weeks it will be spring. Then, the Beach Boys can release the best single on TWGMTR - "Spring Vacation" - complete with video!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3576 on: February 25, 2013, 07:56:50 PM »

During the later shows of the C50 tour, Brian started hitting falsettos more often.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3577 on: February 26, 2013, 07:23:21 PM »

Is there a reason the little percussive hit before the bass drum kicks in is absent on the Summer Love Songs Don't Worry Baby is absent? Was it a goof on the original? I'm so accustomed to hearing it it's very strange without it.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: February 28, 2013, 11:59:35 AM »

Is there a reason the little percussive hit before the bass drum kicks in is absent on the Summer Love Songs Don't Worry Baby is absent? Was it a goof on the original? I'm so accustomed to hearing it it's very strange without it.
it's the extreme part of the count in that wasn't cut off before.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: March 01, 2013, 12:36:33 PM »

Naive question time.

How does this public domain stuff work exactly? I know that Columbia released that monster collection of Freewheelin' outtakes to keep Bob Dylan's early work under copyright. So what about the Hite Morgan-era stuff? And the early 1962 stuff? Is that fair game now for an enterprising young mind willing to pick up where Brad Elliott left off with the First Wave collection?

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-beach-boys-first-wave-project-lawsuit-progress.15382/

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: March 01, 2013, 01:46:53 PM »

Naive question time.

How does this public domain stuff work exactly? I know that Columbia released that monster collection of Freewheelin' outtakes to keep Bob Dylan's early work under copyright. So what about the Hite Morgan-era stuff? And the early 1962 stuff? Is that fair game now for an enterprising young mind willing to pick up where Brad Elliott left off with the First Wave collection?

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-beach-boys-first-wave-project-lawsuit-progress.15382/

Note: I last studied this properly ten years ago, any more recent information comes from news reports. I am not a lawyer.
Anything that has already been made public from before 1963 is now in the public domain, as far as the recording goes. I'm not sure of the status of not-already-released stuff, but I believe that, too, is now in the public domain unless it was released before January 1 this year.

All the recordings are in copyright in the US, and 'thanks' to things like the Sonny Bono Copyright Extension Act, are likely to remain so forever.

The songs are still in copyright (lengths of copyright are different for songs than for sound recordings), and anyone releasing the recordings will still have to pay publishing royalties. If there are any songs that have not yet been released at all (as in, the songs themselves are not known ones and have never been made publicly available, even in other versions) any record label would need to get permission from the writer(s) to release them.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: March 01, 2013, 09:02:37 PM »

is "She Knows Me Too Well" autobiographical? If it is, it sounds so unlike Brian.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3582 on: March 01, 2013, 09:31:56 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:21:27 PM by zatch » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: March 02, 2013, 04:15:57 AM »

is "She Knows Me Too Well" autobiographical? If it is, it sounds so unlike Brian.

I think it sounds very, *very* Brian -- there's a whole huge thread through many of his best songs of almost worshipping a woman who's clearly too good for him (or so he thinks) but who loves him anyway, from Don't Worry Baby through She Knows Me Too Well, You Still Believe In Me, Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel... it's a recurring theme in his songs, including a lot of the most personal ones.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: March 02, 2013, 10:27:01 AM »

I think it sounds very, *very* Brian -- there's a whole huge thread through many of his best songs of almost worshipping a woman who's clearly too good for him (or so he thinks) but who loves him anyway, from Don't Worry Baby through She Knows Me Too Well, You Still Believe In Me, Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel... it's a recurring theme in his songs, including a lot of the most personal ones.

"I treat her so mean I don't deserve what I have" or "i don't seem happy until i make her break down in cry"? That doesn't sound like Brian. If anything, it sounds like it was about Mike and his first wife. Grin
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3585 on: March 02, 2013, 10:45:31 AM »

If that's not a Brian-penned lyric, I don't know what is.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: March 02, 2013, 11:04:14 AM »

"I treat her so mean I don't deserve what I have" or "i don't seem happy until i make her break down in cry"? That doesn't sound like Brian. If anything, it sounds like it was about Mike and his first wife. Grin

Sounds exactly like, for example, the man who wrote Cry after telling his wife he wanted to get a divorce when in a bad mood, then changing his mind after seeing her cry, to me.

Over and over again in Brian's work we see him (or the various lyricists he works with) talk about being cruel or thoughtless to a woman who forgives him, even though she probably shouldn't.

Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: March 02, 2013, 06:10:55 PM »

I guess She Knows Me Too Well has the same tone that You're So Good To Me does, which Marilyn claims to be written to her.
Nicko1234
« Reply #3588 on: March 02, 2013, 10:27:12 PM »

I think people have been getting into trouble for years claiming 'that sounds like a Brian lyric' or 'that doesn't sound like Brian'.
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: March 03, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »

was Murry considering sending Dennis to a military school in the early 60s? It seems like the Wilsons couldn't control him and in those days, delinquents were sent to a military academy to straighten them out.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: March 06, 2013, 12:18:19 AM »

I've been sitting here listening to the guitar-piano-drums intro of "Cherry, Cherry Coupe" for a while now, and it's only four seconds long. I think hip-hop artists could sample The Beach Boys to great effect. I want an instrumental of this song so badly...
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: March 06, 2013, 01:59:43 AM »

Does anyone know where I can find Child Is Father Of The man part with only Brian, Al and the piano in stereo? It's used in the beginning of the released mono version on TSS disc 1 but I can't find it in stereo. Thank you!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: March 06, 2013, 02:33:52 AM »

Isn't it on Um 17?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: March 06, 2013, 06:36:57 AM »

What's the deal with "Help YOU, Rhonda" on the '67 Hawaii "rehearsal?" Doesn't seem like much of an improvement, which the boys obviously realized, but still... What gives?!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: March 06, 2013, 07:37:57 AM »

What's the deal with "Help YOU, Rhonda" on the '67 Hawaii "rehearsal?" Doesn't seem like much of an improvement, which the boys obviously realized, but still... What gives?!

I didn't mind the character reversal actually. The narrator in the traditional Rhonda always did sound like a little bit of a jerk, Al sounds a lot more endearing as the guy who's willing to help pick up the pieces for this girl he clearly cares about.

As a pop song I'll admit the chorus of "Help You, Rhonda" doesn't flow as well as "Help Me, Rhonda" does. "Help Ya, Rhonda" on the other hand would have probably sounded a lot more natural.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: March 07, 2013, 04:16:57 PM »

I didn't mind the character reversal actually. The narrator in the traditional Rhonda always did sound like a little bit of a jerk, Al sounds a lot more endearing as the guy who's willing to help pick up the pieces for this girl he clearly cares about.

As a pop song I'll admit the chorus of "Help You, Rhonda" doesn't flow as well as "Help Me, Rhonda" does. "Help Ya, Rhonda" on the other hand would have probably sounded a lot more natural.
The real question is what's with the additional vocals (Brian's to be exact) added on the single version that's featured on the Endless Harmony soundtrack? I swear, even listening to just the single version on Summer Days, I can still hear that added part that Brian sang, but I can't tell if it's coming from my head of my ears.  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: March 08, 2013, 03:09:36 AM »

Breaking News - Bruce is an original member of the Beach Boys

http://www.beachboysband.net/TOURSCH/BB_TOUR_SCH.htm

Mike's Love machine is looking desperate.  First their management puts out concert promos that would lead one to believe that Brian, Al and David are still in the group.  That didn't fly so now Bruce is promoted as an original member.

And the BeachBoysBand.net site is looking pretty damm cheap and cheesy these days.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: March 08, 2013, 06:02:42 AM »

Mike's Love machine is looking desperate.  First their management puts out concert promos that would lead one to believe that Brian, Al and David are still in the group.  That didn't fly so now Bruce is promoted as an original member.

And the BeachBoysBand.net site is looking pretty damm cheap and cheesy these days.

Hopefully they won't get despondent whilst driving around Japan trying to find Hong Kong for their concert...  >>March 23, Hong Kong, Japan - Rugby Finals <<

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: March 08, 2013, 06:18:15 AM »

Hopefully they won't get despondent whilst driving around Japan trying to find Hong Kong for their concert...  >>March 23, Hong Kong, Japan - Rugby Finals <<

LOL

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: March 08, 2013, 07:27:15 AM »

Genius… bit like GWB asking a Brit whether he'd driven to the USA…

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 149 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx