gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680977 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 01:13:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary live double CD up for pre-order on Amazon  (Read 97011 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 20, 2013, 10:53:29 PM »

deleted
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 20, 2013, 11:56:39 PM »

Aw man, I saw that iTunes had it listed twice, one for 20 bucks and another for 25 but it looks like they're the same album and iTunes screwed up.  I was hoping the one for 25 would have some bonus tracks.  Sad

I'm still not sure if I want to buy it at all, I'm going through the 90 second samples and it doesn't sound like a concert album, it sounds like studio re-recordings and if I want to hear studio recordings, I'll stick to the originals.  The pitch correction is truly jarring, even more so than on That's Why God Made the Radio.  The concert I saw was one of the best I've ever been to and this album does not do it justice.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #427 on: May 21, 2013, 01:02:19 AM »

People who can tolerate the sound of this album, particularly the vocal sounds, may like or at least be able to tolerate music that features autotuning used in a very gimmicky, obvious way. I personally hate, hate, hate it. It's one of the worst things about music for the past several years, that so many hit records feature it.  It's in every example on this record, even the backing vocals. Robo-Bruce on California Girls. I'm glad someone likes it and someone may buy it, but it won't be me.  The Beach Boys are not Katy Perry or Ke$ha and the way autotune is used doesn't suit them.

I agree that The Beach Boys should be above the gimmicks of modern pop music and it's not a great sounding album...I just know and despise the amount of condescension from the big-time posters on this board that is coming the way of those who might enjoy this album anyway.  Like I can't possibly know anything about music (not even close to true) and also enjoy this album (true).  

I honestly think you're imagining the condescension. I think the general consensus here is, "if you like it, that's fine". If people are venting spleen because they hate it, it's not an attack on your tastes. I know how you feel though. I loved (still do) BWPS, and had to try very hard to stop people's negative remarks affecting me.

Please don't turn this into something its not. I don't see anyone attacking those who like it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:03:58 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #428 on: May 21, 2013, 01:06:26 AM »

I agree that I haven't seen much condescension at all. Only the comment about 'it's musicians who notice the autotune'. Obviously not true as anyone who has ears can detect it. Whether people like or dislike it is up to them.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 21, 2013, 01:16:29 AM »

A whole lot of average people with zero musical knowledge know what autotune is and what it sounds like. It's not a musician's thing. How it's used here is not "slight" on most of this album, it's just barely a step down from full on Robocop sh*t. Like I said earlier, I don't get the "They have to do it to save them embarrassment!" argument as, to most people, it makes the band look a lot worse to have it like this. It's over the top and makes them look absolutely incapable of singing at this age, which isn't true.

I also gotta say, it would hurt me greatly to have to defend a band I love with "They have to use autotune to save the band embarrassment."

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #430 on: May 21, 2013, 01:32:16 AM »

I agree that I haven't seen much condescension at all. Only the comment about 'it's musicians who notice the autotune'.

Ha ha, which was me!

I honestly didn't mean it in a condescending way though. It was more in the spirit of the "film-maker friend, who gives you 100 reasons why your favourite film is in fact a pile of shite" scenario.
Nicko1234
« Reply #431 on: May 21, 2013, 01:47:37 AM »

I agree that I haven't seen much condescension at all. Only the comment about 'it's musicians who notice the autotune'.

Ha ha, which was me!

I honestly didn't mean it in a condescending way though. It was more in the spirit of the "film-maker friend, who gives you 100 reasons why your favourite film is in fact a pile of shite" scenario.

Apologies. I genuinely hadn't realized it was you.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #432 on: May 21, 2013, 01:51:37 AM »

Well no. It was an assumption on my part that musicians are more likely to be bothered by autotune. This was rightfully challenged.

What's the old saying. Assuming makes you a complete c*@t
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 21, 2013, 01:59:28 AM »

My uneducated theory based on some itunes samples and youtube clips on the new album.

When all the other non-Beach Boys voices onstage last year were removed from the tapes, what was left was pretty average. So what I'm hearing is Mike, Brian, Al and Bruce (plus Jeff) all sweetened and multi tracked, but the others either removed or mixed way down in volume.

So what we have is pretty much ONLY the Beach Boys on this album and NOT the many other voices onstage last year.

Sorry if this has been raised in any of the other many pages in this thread.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 21, 2013, 02:14:14 AM »

From what I've heard so far, I don't think the album's that bad. Indeed, for a live album it could've been more energetic, but the instruments sound great and it can't come as a surprise that Mike and Brian's vocals don't and will never again sound as good as they used to. And regardless if it's authentically live, semi live or quasi live, I think it's fun to have 2012 recordings of Brian, Mike, Al, David and Bruce playing the hits and a few pretty cool rarities together. Who would've thought a few years ago that we'd ever get to hear something like that?

And like it or not, but this could be a historical release. There's a fair chance that this is the last album of newly recorded Beach Boys material to ever be released.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:17:40 AM by shelter » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 21, 2013, 02:14:49 AM »

My uneducated theory based on some itunes samples and youtube clips on the new album.

When all the other non-Beach Boys voices onstage last year were removed from the tapes, what was left was pretty average. So what I'm hearing is Mike, Brian, Al and Bruce (plus Jeff) all sweetened and multi tracked, but the others either removed or mixed way down in volume.

So what we have is pretty much ONLY the Beach Boys on this album and NOT the many other voices onstage last year.

Sorry if this has been raised in any of the other many pages in this thread.

Definitely not. That's the Brian Wilson band on there for the bulk of the harmonies. I'd recognise their sound anywhere. Plus all the backing band members are credited for vocals in the liner notes, and given that many of their instrumental contributions *aren't* credited, it's unlikely they'd credit them for vocals that weren't used.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Nicko1234
« Reply #436 on: May 21, 2013, 02:15:19 AM »

Really? Many of the harmonies sound very generic and non-Beach Boys to me.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 21, 2013, 02:17:36 AM »

From what I've heard so far, I don't think the album's that bad. Indeed, for a live album it could've been more energetic, but the instruments sound great and it can't come as a surprise that Mike and Brian's vocals don't and will never again sound as good as they used to. And regardless if it's authentically live, semi semi or quasi live, I think it's fun to have 2012 recordings of Brian, Mike, Al, David and Bruce playing the hits and a few pretty cool rarities together. Who would've thought a few years ago that we'd ever get to hear something like that?

And like it or not, but this could be a historical release. There's a fair chance that this is the last album of newly recorded Beach Boys material to ever be released.

So was SIP for quite some time.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 21, 2013, 02:40:36 AM »

My feeling is that about 80 percent of the record is acceptable to good. But the 20 percent or so that is bad is so very bad, so very very very bad, that it can warp the perception of the overall product.

Basically anything with Al on the lead is great, and much of Mike's material comes out well. WDFFIL is good too. Brian's leads, much of Jeff's stuff and a couple of Mike leads blow.

WDFFIL Intro is canned (always has been) , exactly the same vocal intro (??)as the Mike & Bruce show - Sorry got to be said  Roll Eyes
I didn't know that! Who sings on it? Wondermints&Co or Mike's guys? Or was it recorded specifically for the C50 (in which case, I guess, it was recorded by the on-stage configuration). Anyway, WDFFIL ROCKED last year.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 21, 2013, 03:20:55 AM »

Please let's not make this something where we take thwacks at Brian's band. They are blameless in this, and did amazing work last year.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 21, 2013, 03:31:34 AM »

Please let's not make this something where we take thwacks at Brian's band. They are blameless in this, and did amazing work last year.
What the...? That was not my intention. Huh
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 21, 2013, 03:36:59 AM »

No-one's said anything against Brian's band -- or indeed anyone except Joe Thomas and, to a lesser extent, Brian as co-producer.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 21, 2013, 04:18:28 AM »

I've listened to half of the first CD.

Bear in mind I have a fairly good system...genuine DVD-Audio player, vintage 1970's high current amp, speakers I designed and built myself. It is tailored to my tastes.

In terms of the general mix, you can tell it's been effed around with but I actually have no (or little) problem with the way the band sounds. Contrary to some reports I found it quite punchy once I'd fiddled with the bass a bit. It doesn't sound like you're in the audience but no live album does. There's enough atmosphere mixed in to remind you that it's a live CD. It's not brickwalled or even especially compressed...there is breathing space.

The problem is the vocal processing which at times isn't intrusive and at other times threatens to render the exercise pointless. If I wanted to listen to a square wave I'd plug in my signal generator. If I want to listen to phrases lifted from TWGMTR studio LP then I'll give the LP a spin. Does nobody at the record company understand that the appeal of the Beach Boys is in that they are a vocal group?

So far I'm not going to send it back. Partly because what I have heard is not as bad as I feared and because my wife (less critical ears) likes it.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 21, 2013, 05:41:55 AM »

Broke down and bought the album this morning - It really is 90% good. The musical dynamic is better than on the samples, but not by much. Autotune is really only prominent on a few songs. The vocals are really well mixed, the guys sound amazing, and the song selection couldn't be better.

DBDFTW has the horrid autotune you hear in the sample. 'Wendy' is just...man, that autotune sucks any bit of life out of the performance. The harmonies sound amazing, but Bruce sounds like T-Pain. Same with 'Getcha Back' - I couldn't even tell it was Mike singing his voice is so warped. H&V, SOS have their moments of obvious obnoxious voice modulation. Jeff is really mixed high on the first few songs, but it's not that big a deal.

*have to say I'm really disappointed that H&V got so screwed up. The Chiba performance is the best live H&V I've heard - and this version kinda stripped away that magic.

The car segment is really well done. Many of the songs on disc two are outstanding performances - blows my mind the guys sound this good at their age.

Standouts:

Surfer Girl
Then I Kissed Her
Why Do Fools Fall In Love
When I Grow Up To Be A Man
Disney Girls (Bruce doesn't sound a year over 30 here - without autotune as well!)
Be True To Your School
I Get Around
Pet Sounds
California Saga
In My Room (those harmonies! Shocked)
God Only Knows (especially the coda)
Wouldn't It Be Nice (Al sounds 20 years old here)
Help Me, Rhonda (Again, Al's voice is incredible)
Surfin' USA (this one really rocks!)
Barbara Ann (those harmonies....)

The pros really outweigh the cons here. There are so many enjoyable moments that overshadow the autotune debacle. Overall I'm happy with my purchase and I think most people will enjoy this album.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:56:06 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Nicko1234
« Reply #444 on: May 21, 2013, 05:46:09 AM »

Same with 'Getcha Back' - I couldn't even tell it was Mike singing his voice is so warped.

Are you talking about David's lead vocals?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 21, 2013, 05:54:48 AM »

Same with 'Getcha Back' - I couldn't even tell it was Mike singing his voice is so warped.

Ha! That would explain it! Thanks for clearing that up.

*Dave or Mike's voice, the autotune is pretty unnecessary in that lead.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:10:59 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 21, 2013, 06:12:38 AM »

I agree. David's lead vocal was surprisingly solid. I'm glad they chose a recording with his lead instead of one recorded when Mike had taken it back.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 21, 2013, 06:17:53 AM »

I agree. David's lead vocal was surprisingly solid. I'm glad they chose a recording with his lead instead of one recorded when Mike had taken it back.

Sure you're not thinking of "Hawaii"? "Getcha Back" stayed with Dave since it's first appearance to the last at Wembley.

Edit: you didn't actually specify which lead. My mistake for being a smartarse LOL
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:20:43 AM by MaxL » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 21, 2013, 06:28:13 AM »

Sure you're not thinking of "Hawaii"? "Getcha Back" stayed with Dave since it's first appearance to the last at Wembley.

Edit: you didn't actually specify which lead. My mistake for being a smartarse LOL
A qualified smartass, though. I was actually referring to "Get Back"  - but I was mistaken, it seems. Thanks for correcting me. Smiley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: May 21, 2013, 06:49:13 AM »

My thoughts at: http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx