gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680904 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 03:04:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Back Seat of My Car  (Read 3238 times)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2009, 07:48:56 PM »

The closing song on Paul McCartney's album Ram, "The Back Seat of My Car," is probably one of the best Beach Boys knock offs I've ever heard. I'm really impressed and moved by it. I was reading on Wikipedia that Paul presented this song to the Beatles in a "late Beach Boys style" during the Get Back sessions. It would have been interesting to have the Beatles tackle this with George Martin producing.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
sofonanm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:50:46 PM »

did you read this thread: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7156.20.html?

or was it purely coincidence?

someone posted Paul's piano demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcDXTNHmO8w&feature=related
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 06:55:09 AM »

Paul presented this song to the Beatles in a "late Beach Boys style"

Meaning, like, what?  SUNFLOWER era?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 12:47:38 AM »

did you read this thread: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7156.20.html?

or was it purely coincidence?

someone posted Paul's piano demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcDXTNHmO8w&feature=related

Whoops!  LOL

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 06:31:30 AM »

Just got the new Rolling Stone (with Bob Dylan on the cover!), and there is an article about the recent Coachella Festival. Brian Wilson was hanging out with Paul McCartney backstage before Paul's set. Brian also watched the set from the side of the stage. Brian said, "Blackbird and The Long And Winding Road were beautiful. The energy level was so beautiful it almost made me cry." There was a small picture of Paul and Brian.

Brian and Paul have been open to working with collaborators. The way they both still like rock and roll, harmonies, and humor, I'd like to see them in some kind of a Traveling Wilbury's-type project.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 06:35:34 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 08:29:39 AM »

Just got the new Rolling Stone (with Bob Dylan on the cover!), and there is an article about the recent Coachella Festival. Brian Wilson was hanging out with Paul McCartney backstage before Paul's set. Brian also watched the set from the side of the stage. Brian said, "Blackbird and The Long And Winding Road were beautiful. The energy level was so beautiful it almost made me cry." There was a small picture of Paul and Brian.

Brian and Paul have been open to working with collaborators. The way they both still like rock and roll, harmonies, and humor, I'd like to see them in some kind of a Traveling Wilbury's-type project.

that is a great story

seriously.. they need to do an album collaboration.. i have a feeling that Paul would be pretty hesitant though.. having to deal with Brian's moodiness  Smiley  plus Brian would be tempted to smoke more of that ganj that we know Paul still hits up!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 08:51:11 AM »

seriously.. they need to do an album collaboration... i have a feeling that Paul would be pretty hesitant though...

Yeah, a couple of years ago Brian was talking about a possible collaboration (I don't know if he was serious about it), but Paul never really jumped in. I don't think "A Friend Like You" was a total disaster; the lyrics killed it for me, but Brian rose to the occasion with his excellent lead vocals.

Paul has been very public lately. He has a new lady friend, he was at the Grammys, of course Coachella, that TM thing where he appeared with Ringo (and Mike Love!), and I saw where he was at the dedication of a star on some Walk Of Fame for George Harrison. So, you never know...   
sofonanm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »

I don't care that much if they do an album together.
There would be too many suits calling the shots for a nice, commercial product.
It wouldn't be a Paul & Brian album, it would be a LEGENDARY PAUL MCCARTNEY OF THE BEATLES and LEGENDARY BRIAN WILSON OF THE BEACH BOYS album.
They'd force them into TV spots, tours, benefit concerts... so much crap.

It would probably be good for car commercials but not for our collections.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 07:01:09 PM »

Back to the current edition of Rolling Stone....

There's a cover story on Bob Dylan - who sang on a take of Brian's "The Spirit Of Rock And Roll", and said "Brian Wilson's ear belongs in the Smithsonian." Anyway, the article goes: He (Dylan) hopes one day to sit down and work with Paul McCartney: "That'd be exciting to do something with Paul! But, ya know, your paths have to cross for something like that to make sense."

Dylan also goes on to tell a story about visiting Neil Young's old childhood home in Winnipeg, saying, "I wanted to see his bedroom. Where he looked out of the windows. Where he dreamed. Where he walked out of the door everyday."

So, let's see. Brian/The Beach Boys covered "I Should've Known Better", "Tell Me Why", "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" (I know, Lennon songs), and "The Time's They Are-A Changin" on Party. Didn't they also record "Ticket To Ride" and "With A Little Help From My Friends"?

Paul sat in on "Vegetables", we know his fondness for Pet Sounds, visited Brian's house on occasion, and attended BWPS in 2004.

I mentioned Dylan's connection to Brian, and then there's Neil Young's connection to The Beach Boys with "Long May You Run", and with Brian, who performed at a Bridge School benefit and Farm Aid. And then there's Dylan's and Young's friendship.

So, there you have it. The next Traveling Wilbury's. The next supergroup. The Next Big Thing. Brian Wilson, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, and Neil Young. The four greatest living songwriters. Together. Oh, I can dream..... police
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:07:15 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 07:27:51 PM »

So, there you have it. The next Traveling Wilbury's. The next supergroup. The Next Big Thing. Brian Wilson, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, and Neil Young. The four greatest living songwriters. Together. Oh, I can dream..... police

Yes.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 08:14:27 PM »

that sounds amazing!    Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 02:34:52 AM »

Here's a poser -  if BW, Macca, Shakey and Dylan did announce a tour together, would it ever be announced on the Blueboard?

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx