gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681009 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 11:18:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Wilson song just premiered on radio  (Read 67374 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2015, 08:08:53 AM »

No worries Ray.  Just like Frasier Crane...I'm listening.  Perhaps a picture just to actually show the experts that you were THERE might assist in keeping the discussion from submerging into the cess...oops...guess pool of artificial expertise.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2015, 08:10:50 AM »

There is no pitch correction.  Brian corrects pitch live as he is cutting the vocals .  For example at the "I'm Into Something Good' session ; Carole King had not started singing the second verse when Brian pitch corrected..." Carole , your flatting" . He did it to Macca , to  EJ , to Nate Reuss, to everyone.  My understanding is the vocals are double tracked and buried with echo .
There is pitch correction.  If Brian does it live, then he uses one of these tools to do it.  Also, Brian is not a computer person so we can assume he is using a fellow engineer to do it for him while he watches over the engineer's shoulder.  The double tracked vocals heard are used to try to mask the effect of auto-tune, which rarely ever works.

Ok ,  whatever

There is definitely an Auto tune or pitch-correcting effect on the vocals, however I think it serves as a stylistic choice here more than anything else.  

Didn't BW once admit in an interview that he uses pitch correction?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2015, 08:14:18 AM »

Dear Mr. Lawlor,

Please do not argue with ForHerCryingSoul.  He is an expert.  Don't you realize that Brian has been using doubletracked vocals for nearly 50 years for the purpose of "masking" the auto-tune.  

In all seriousness it is great to have someone here who has attended sessions, been a good friend to Brian, and can weigh in when some folks' musings get out of hand.  Thanks for posting here Ray, you class the place up!  I am looking forward to the album.  I hope we hear a taste of the studio version of Saturday Night on Hollywood BLVD next or soon.  I really enjoyed Nate's vocals during the Vegas show and want to hear how the album version came out.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2015, 08:14:37 AM »

For the musicians who want to jam along with Brian, Al, David, and the song: Adding to Alan Smith's earlier post, here is a chord chart I did in the key of the recording. Many of the chords are anticipated going into the next bar, but it's difficult to notate in this format - listen for those changes. Those who prefer open guitar chords, you can capo at the 3rd fret and transpose all of these down three half-steps, C minor becomes open A minor, Eb becomes open C, etc. Lot of those nice hybrid "Brian chords" to be found, some where the notes played in the bass imply a different harmony than the chord on top, a few I'm not 100% sure of but they worked this morning.  Grin

THE RIGHT TIME

INTRO
Cm    Bb/D | Eb/F     | Cm    Bb/D | Eb/F     |

Cm    Bb/D | Eb/F     | F          | F        |

VERSE
Cm     Bb/D | Cm7/F     | Cm    Bb/D | Cm7/F    |

Eb     Dm7  | Cm7       | F          | F        |

CHORUS
Bb          | Gm        | Dm         | Eb     F |

Bb          | Gm        | Dm         | Eb     F |

REPEAT VERSE

REPEAT CHORUS

BRIDGE
Ebmaj7     | Ebmaj7     | Dm7      | Dm7      |

Ebmaj7     | Ebmaj7     | Dm7      | Dm7      |

Ebmaj7     | Ebmaj7     | Dm7      | F        | F       |

VOCAL/GUITAR BREAK: REPEAT CHORUS X2

CHORUS X2

OUTTRO
Ebmaj7     Dm7 | Cm7/Eb     | Ebmaj7     Dm7 | Cm7/Eb     |

Ebmaj7     Dm7 | Cm7/Eb     | Bbmaj7     |

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2015, 08:16:56 AM »

I can see why people might be put off by the similarity to "Lay Down Burden," but not by the pitch correction.  This is not "unbelievably terrible", C50 Live-level Autotune.
Very nice song, to my ears.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Gohi
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2015, 08:20:36 AM »

Lol the chorus is just Lay Down Burden.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2015, 08:21:11 AM »

Agreed Judd, it's Brian freaking wilson making art in 2015.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2015, 08:26:10 AM »

Absolutely!! And how fortunate we are that he is. I've listened to it like 10 times-so far.  w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2015, 08:29:38 AM »

Dear Mr. Lawlor,

Please do not argue with ForHerCryingSoul.  He is an expert.  Don't you realize that Brian has been using doubletracked vocals for nearly 50 years for the purpose of "masking" the auto-tune.  

In all seriousness it is great to have someone here who has attended sessions, been a good friend to Brian, and can weigh in when some folks' musings get out of hand.  Thanks for posting here Ray, you class the place up!  I am looking forward to the album.  I hope we hear a taste of the studio version of Saturday Night on Hollywood BLVD next or soon.  I really enjoyed Nate's vocals during the Vegas show and want to hear how the album version came out.

I'd suggest putting a smiley/emoticon after the first paragraph to further enhance the sarcasm... Grin  Like that one !  Wink

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2015, 08:32:39 AM »

But I think an important question persists:  how the hell is Norway getting to hear this song before everyone else?!

My guess, checking the notes at the bottom of the link, is they got this from someone in NYC..
>> Per Sundnes er i New York City og rapporterer direkte fra the Big Apple. ( Per Sundnes is in New York City and reports directly from the Big Apple. )<  

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2015, 08:35:03 AM »

Absolutely!! And how fortunate we are that he is. I've listened to it like 10 times-so far.  w00t!
I got another 30 listens to go! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2015, 08:36:21 AM »

Yeah, Brian's never been known to re-imagine older tracks. I'm off to listen to Land Ahoy and Cherry Cherry Coupe...

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Gohi
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2015, 08:42:01 AM »

Yeah, Brian's never been known to re-imagine older tracks. I'm off to listen to Land Ahoy and Cherry Cherry Coupe...
Did I imply this was a one-time thing?
What's your point? That he's done it before so just don't bring it up?
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2015, 08:43:47 AM »

EVERYONE STOP FIGHTING

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2015, 08:44:07 AM »

Love the song!  Although it does feel a bit like a reworked Lay Down Burden, but there's nothing really wrong with that.  After hearing this and the songs from the Vegas show, I'm feeling much better about the album than when I first heard Our Special Love.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2015, 08:49:31 AM »

Did I imply this was a one-time thing?
What's your point? That he's done it before so just don't bring it up?

I guess I'm missing the humor then....didn't realize that Brian re-working a melody/chord progression calls for a "Lol"

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2015, 08:50:51 AM »

I enjoy the song..
As for Al's part,  I agree with the "double tracked and buried with echo" conclusion and I like it!

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2015, 08:52:58 AM »

Well...I enjoyed the HECK outta that.  I had a chance to listen w/o interuption and thoroughly 'felt' it.  A unique sound with that guitar for what turns out to be a Beach Boys kind of effort.  Yes I enjoyed It's OK and Good Timin' a LOT and Kokomo a little but as a Beach Boys [based] release...this is the first NEW something I've enjoyed to this extent since Holland hit the shelves.  [that's after 1 listen...]

Like all Beach Boys and Brian material some folks like the A pile.  Some prefer the B choices and others are better satiated by C, D, or E.  This song, then, would be no exception in that regard.  But as a LONG TIME fan...I dig it BIG TIME. Cool Guy

Nicely done Brian...Al...David.  Thanks for NOT trying to be anyone other than yourselves.  Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy everytime.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2015, 08:57:35 AM »

Hey does anybody hear Shortin' Bread in this song? No? Well neither do I.But I digress. It amazes me how everybody is now an expert on recording techniques and really has better  taste than Brian Wilson whenit comes to producing a song. There is a weird vibe on this board sometimes, almost as if you wanted the Beach Boys to be something different then they really were. When the album does come out I think this is the last place I'd want to be, too much negativity .Unless Brian Wilson visits, than everyone is on their best behavior.
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2015, 09:01:31 AM »

Hey does anybody hear Shortin' Bread in this song? No? Well neither do I.But I digress. It amazes me how everybody is now an expert on recording techniques and really has better  taste than Brian Wilson whenit comes to producing a song. There is a weird vibe on this board sometimes, almost as if you wanted the Beach Boys to be something different then they really were. When the album does come out I think this is the last place I'd want to be, too much negativity .Unless Brian Wilson visits, than everyone is on their best behavior.

For all we know, the Most Honoured Guest himself is reading this thread right now... if he is, hi Brian!
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2015, 09:01:45 AM »

Please do not argue with ForHerCryingSoul.  He is an expert.
lol I'm really not an expert, but thank you.  I still can't wait to hear the other tracks in store for No Pier Pressure.  If that link for the song ends up being taken down, PM me.  I recorded it for reference.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2015, 09:05:54 AM »

So you can't wait to hear the rest of the album so you can critique the sh*t out of it?
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »

Nice uplifting song!  Thank you Brian and friends! Grin
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »

It amazes me how everybody is now an expert on recording techniques and really has better  taste than Brian Wilson whenit comes to producing a song. There is a weird vibe on this board sometimes, almost as if you wanted the Beach Boys to be something different then they really were. When the album does come out I think this is the last place I'd want to be, too much negativity .Unless Brian Wilson visits, than everyone is on their best behavior.
Didn't mean to sound prudish when it came to reviewing the track.  It's just my two cents and my opinion on it based on the sounds of his earlier work, which is probably not a fair comparison.  I personally liked the sound of Brian Wilson's Lucky Old Sun album, Gershwin album and That's Why God Made the Radio, even with auto-tune (I use that word interchangeably with software that corrects pitch). 

Back to the song, it's a lot better than the Sweet Insanity sessions.  I hope we can all agree on that.  Smiley
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2015, 09:10:13 AM »

So you can't wait to hear the rest of the album so you can critique the sh*t out of it?
Honestly no.  I just would like to hear Brian Wilson continue to make art.  I only critiqued to observe and predict what is to come.  I didn't mean to completely trash it...  I'm sorry.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx