gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681242 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4080 Members - Latest Member: endoftheshow May 30, 2024, 12:48:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 151 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1419711 times)
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: March 20, 2013, 12:08:18 AM »

What Beach Boys songs have (melodic) humming in them? Off the top of my head I know "Little Honda" and "Vegetables"/"Vega-Tables" have that sort of thing going in them. And no, the 'hum-de-dum' stuff in "Good Vibrations" does not count. haha.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: March 20, 2013, 01:27:43 AM »

Little Honda?  Huh Where?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3627 on: March 20, 2013, 01:39:20 AM »

How frequently, if at all, was Chuck Britz interviewed in-depth about engineering the group? Are these online anywhere I could easily read them?

Used to be a series of interviews (or one long one just sliced up) with Chuck on YouTube, by a Dutch fan in 1993. Fascinating to hear him talk although, as with so many of that era, his recall isn't 100%.

Just checked the links - all dead.  Angry

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: March 20, 2013, 02:23:36 AM »

Little Honda?  Huh Where?

The background vocals on the verses (particularly noticeable on the 2nd verse, imo). It fits the motorbike theme of the song to have motor-like humming in the background but at the same time it's done in a way that fits the rhythm of the song, so yeah, really clever & I love it a lot. Certainly more subtle than the more 'up front' humming on Vegetables, so you really have to listen for it (more noticeable with a pair of headphones than over the speakers)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: March 20, 2013, 01:14:41 PM »

What Beach Boys songs have (melodic) humming in them? Off the top of my head I know "Little Honda" and "Vegetables"/"Vega-Tables" have that sort of thing going in them. And no, the 'hum-de-dum' stuff in "Good Vibrations" does not count. haha.

Country Air

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3630 on: March 20, 2013, 03:06:32 PM »

What exactly prevented First Love from being released back in 1978? Were the legal troubles that far back?

I thought it was just no-one wanted to touch it with a bargepole. Which may be unfair, but if I as a label exec was presented with Daybreak Over The Ocean as a six minute epic, I'd have probably passed too. I haven't given it much attention either way, but my Beach Boys masochism isn't strong at the moment so I'm not going to jam out to First Love

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3631 on: March 20, 2013, 11:50:33 PM »

My understanding is that in the early 80s, First Love - which BTW isn't at all bad - was revamped (remixed, partly re-recorded) in an attempt to get it out there, which is why two distinctly different versions exist. However, there's some kind of legal hassle with the backers of that project (who I think I once read, or was told, were German... but I might be imagining that) thus it's not been released in either form. Country Love remains unreleased because, simply, it sucks. As for his 'new' album, I have no idea why that's not been released.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: March 21, 2013, 03:04:17 AM »

I'm now imagining some Back To The Future esque scenario where Mike is chased around a car park by some Germans in a camper van as they try to seize the mastertapes.

Thanks for clearing that up!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: March 22, 2013, 07:23:28 AM »

I was reading Mike's little biography in the Wikipedia page and it said that first love had some tracks that were later given to BeachBoys albums which I thought was kind of odd I think maybe only Sumahama would be in that category

Anyone know what that's referring to?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: March 22, 2013, 07:25:42 AM »

First love is like the Christmas tree from the Charlie Brown special it just needs a little love to make it nice.   Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: March 22, 2013, 07:37:08 AM »

Little pad?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: March 22, 2013, 07:51:39 AM »

Country Air

Heroes And Villains (Sunny Down Snuff part)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3637 on: March 22, 2013, 12:40:35 PM »

I was reading Mike's little biography in the Wikipedia page and it said that first love had some tracks that were later given to BeachBoys albums which I thought was kind of odd I think maybe only Sumahama would be in that category

"Daybreak" and "Brian's Back".

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #3638 on: March 22, 2013, 12:48:17 PM »

Andrew, quick query: I'm about to buy your 'Guide to the Beach Boys' book online. Which is the more recent, updated edition? The one with the blue cover or the one with the colour group photo? Many thanks!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3639 on: March 22, 2013, 01:01:48 PM »

b/w group pic in striped shirts - 1997, 37,000 words, give or take...

blue cover - 2004, 54,000 words, more or less...

color group shot - there isn't one.

Just out of interest, how much are they going for ?

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #3640 on: March 22, 2013, 01:11:23 PM »

Blue cover edition purchased. It was £19. Looking forward to reading it!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: March 22, 2013, 03:20:33 PM »

"Daybreak" and "Brian's Back".
What's odd is the wiki reference I was referring to was the big WIKI BB History book, which I bought mine before TWGMTR was ever thought of...So really, all they meant was Brian's Back...for a rarities album.

And maybe referring to First Love being re-recorded for Celebration II?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3642 on: March 22, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »

Blue cover edition purchased. It was £19. Looking forward to reading it!

Bargain ! I've not seen it for less that £35 for many years.

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: March 23, 2013, 07:00:47 AM »

wow..i must have gotten a steal on it. after the fire one of the first books i rebought was the 2004 edition...still has the price sticker on it for $6.95. i feel a little better now.... Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: March 23, 2013, 07:46:56 AM »

I have several copies of the updated com guide book.  I'm a weirdo who buys multiples of many BB/BW items.  Tis a sickness that I can't find a cure to says the wife.  Great book (although my tastes differ with some of AGD's reviews, it is a wonderful and handy resource).  They were all under $10.  Maybe I should throw 'em on ebay and try to get the SOTs I am missing with the cash...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3645 on: March 23, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »

Mr. Doe, are you going to do a 3rd update? There's quite a bit of solo stuff and greatest hits/slight rarities package to catch up on.

I'm sure its a pain in the neck, but I would kill to have a spotlight opportunity such as yours to write my opinions and found information about the wonderful music that has came out in the past 10 years or so.

And I think I asked you this before, but all the info you have on the Bellagio site, what were your sources for all the unreleased information?
Also, can you publish any of that information in a book? Not me, but you, as AGD, can you publish a book about those songs and albums and write about them without some legal shananigins?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3646 on: March 24, 2013, 01:16:06 AM »

It's up to my publishers to ask me for a 3rd update (likelihood - remote), but I do plan to put a section on 10452 for updates and corrections.

My sources for the unreleased material are published sources - you'd be amazed what's out there: copyright organizations such as BMI have a wealth of info - 'collectors' tapes, the artists involved, studio documentation, other sources and when all that fails, I just make it up. As for circumventing lawsuits, the liberal use of "reportedly", "I understand", "I'm led to believe" and "allegedly" can be immensely helpful.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:18:33 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: March 24, 2013, 01:39:56 AM »

Prior to participating in the C50 tour, Did Brian ever "quit" the beach boys? It seems like he was around less and less starting somewhere around  the early 1990's. Actually, going by Eric Aniversario's(I hope I spelled that right) website, it appears that Brian's beach boy's activity diminished quite a bit after Dennis died.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3648 on: March 24, 2013, 02:02:55 AM »

Check out the Gigs & Sessions section on 10452, which details, where possible, Brian's presence at all shows since 1961 (yes, he was skipping shows as early as 1963). His last show with the band before the 2012 Grammys was September 8th 1996 in Chicago. Prior to that, his presence was increasingly sporadic. Here's a rundown from 1980:

1980     77   61
1981   112   all
1982   142   69
1983   124   44
1984   106     2
1985     97     4
1986   108     2
1987   147   18
1988   144   11
1989   109      7
1990   107     9
1991   116     0
1992     81     0
1993   104     0
1994      69   0
1995     96     4
1996     70     3
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:23:38 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: March 24, 2013, 05:59:38 AM »

It's up to my publishers to ask me for a 3rd update (likelihood - remote), but I do plan to put a section on 10452 for updates and corrections.

Assuming you own the copyright, have you considered self-publishing? It costs nothing to stick it up on Kindle, Lulu and Smashwords, and there's obviously a demand for it.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 151 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx