gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680931 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 11:20:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 148 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1414000 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: February 21, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »

The Carl lead vocal on "Cabbinessence" was recorded in 1966 or in late 1968?

'68

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: February 21, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »

EDIT: Oh, well, I found Catch a Wave in a brazilian website that sells used books. It'd cost me about 22 dollars plus 2 for shipping. Sounds like a good deal. The same website has that Heroes and Villains book though. Which one is better for someone who is more interested in Brian Wilson particulary?

Carlin's book is better if you want an accurate, up-to-date-ish biography of Brian and the band. Heroes & Villains is better if you want salacious stories about who had sex with who's wife and you don't particularly care if they're true or not.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: February 21, 2013, 12:37:04 PM »

What's the best place for me to buy a BB-related book? Mind you, I'm from Brazil, so the choice has to be right as there are no second buys  Grin

I was thinking of buying Catch a Wave: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson . Would it be a good purchase?

Anyway, I looked it up on Amazon but, damn!, I found that site too messy. Is it reliable, though? If not, what are my other options that would ship the book to South America at a reasonable price?

EDIT: Oh, well, I found Catch a Wave in a brazilian website that sells used books. It'd cost me about 22 dollars plus 2 for shipping. Sounds like a good deal. The same website has that Heroes and Villains book though. Which one is better for someone who is more interested in Brian Wilson particulary?
Catch a Wave: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson = essential. Get it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: February 22, 2013, 08:47:55 AM »

Is there any chance that Brian does another Pet Sounds tour?

Anything's possible, but they said in 2006 that those would be the last ever Pet Sounds shows, and haven't shown much inclination to go back on that.

In general, Brian's tours now seem to fall into two types -- performing whatever his latest album is, and straight greatest-hits shows.
What do you think the Ohio show in July will be?
That's a tough call since Al and Dave will be there too.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: February 22, 2013, 09:04:11 AM »

Anything's possible, but they said in 2006 that those would be the last ever Pet Sounds shows, and haven't shown much inclination to go back on that.

In general, Brian's tours now seem to fall into two types -- performing whatever his latest album is, and straight greatest-hits shows.

Damn good question, given that he seems to be recording right now…  wonder if there'll be a release before the gig?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3555 on: February 22, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »

Damn good question, given that he seems to be recording right now…  wonder if there'll be a release before the gig?

Given the venue and location, I'm betting meat & potatoes GH.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: February 22, 2013, 04:59:44 PM »

I reckon they'll play The Rite Of Spring.

Meat & Two Veg is the safest option, although stranger things have happened than for a new song to be played in the set. I mean, they released Smile for gods sake, and if this show was 'politically' motivated (and I'd bet my Mike Love replica bald wig it is), it'd be a kick in the teeth to M&B.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
jammer730
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: February 22, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »

What's that supposed to mean?
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3558 on: February 22, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »

It means that the setlist would mainly consist of well known hits.

jammer730
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: February 22, 2013, 07:37:29 PM »

Damn good question, given that he seems to be recording right now…  wonder if there'll be a release before the gig?

No, i mean, what is he implying about the venue and location?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:38:28 PM by jammer730 » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: February 22, 2013, 07:44:39 PM »

Damn good question, given that he seems to be recording right now…  wonder if there'll be a release before the gig?

it's nowheresville man

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3561 on: February 22, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »

I was hoping for prime rib and au gratin potatoes Wink

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
jammer730
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: February 22, 2013, 09:02:41 PM »

it's nowheresville man

Really? Dayton, OH, Nowheresville? It must be special to them since it's the only place they picked
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3563 on: February 22, 2013, 10:56:17 PM »

it's nowheresville man

Really? Dayton, OH, Nowheresville? It must be special to them since it's the only place they picked

The venue is open air with lawn seating, just as the prestigious Kenwood House in the UK is. Guess what they played there ? (In fact, they nearly didn't play anything, as Brian wasn't in a good place at all that day).

Oh, and it's not Dayton, it's Kettering - had you ever heard of it before the gig was announced ? Me neither.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:59:04 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
jammer730
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: February 23, 2013, 11:26:16 AM »

Well, yeah, i live in Ohio, and Kettering is kind of like a suburb of Dayton, and again, why didn't they pick someplace else?
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: February 23, 2013, 11:36:29 AM »

Ich hab' eine Frage... Was bedeutet "Fall Breaks and Back to Winter? Ist das ein Lied über Herbstferien oder etwas anderes?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: February 23, 2013, 11:49:13 AM »

it's nowheresville man

The venue is open air with lawn seating, just as the prestigious Kenwood House in the UK is. Guess what they played there ? (In fact, they nearly didn't play anything, as Brian wasn't in a good place at all that day).

Oh, and it's not Dayton, it's Kettering - had you ever heard of it before the gig was announced ? Me neither.

Kettering sucks.
I've never been so excited to go somewhere so crappy before the show was announced.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
jammer730
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: February 23, 2013, 06:27:20 PM »

Whatever, more Kettering for me to enjoy  Grin
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 06:28:58 PM by jammer730 » Logged
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: February 24, 2013, 06:29:27 PM »

How old is Darian Sahanaja? For me the guy was like 30! But, then...that was the impression I had in Beautiful Dreamer, which was in 2004. He must be from circa 1975
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: February 24, 2013, 06:33:29 PM »

How old is Darian Sahanaja? For me the guy was like 30! But, then...that was the impression I had in Beautiful Dreamer, which was in 2004. He must be from circa 1975

I think he'd be about 50 by now.. or close to it. Dude definitely has a young look.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:34:35 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3570 on: February 25, 2013, 06:28:39 PM »

I know that this is an old, and tired question by now to many of you, but how capable is Brian of doing a decent falsetto still?
This is the best example I can find, and it leads me to believe that Brian is still much more capable than I thought before seeing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsB3s9xDzRI
(It's towards the very end)

Is there any other footage or examples of Brian at least trying his upper range without Jeff doubling him?

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: February 25, 2013, 06:41:35 PM »

Egohanger just posted that interview that showed BW singing a line from 'Surfer Girl' in pretty flawless falsetto. That was from 2010 or 2011 I believe.

I think it's one of those things he'll always be able to do. It might physically be uncomfortable for him at this point though. It'd be cool if he made a point of doing it more often.

Clips like that interview, +the PLMW performance shows he still WANTS to at times.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: February 25, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »

Egohanger just posted that interview that showed BW singing a line from 'Surfer Girl' in pretty flawless falsetto. That was from 2010 or 2011 I believe.

I think it's one of those things he'll always be able to do. It might physically be uncomfortable for him at this point though. It'd be cool if he made a point of doing it more often.

Clips like that interview, +the PLMW performance shows he still WANTS to at times.

Yeah, I'd definitely like to see him at least try more.
Do you think it's more of a confidence issue?

- Dr. Seuss
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3573 on: February 25, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:22:28 PM by zatch » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: February 25, 2013, 07:28:04 PM »

Yeah, I'd definitely like to see him at least try more.
Do you think it's more of a confidence issue?

It could be straight up laziness. Who knows. Maybe he just doesn't care either way, and would rather Foskett do it, since his tone is cleaner.

Good chance he doesn't know how much us diehards would like to hear him on top of the BB's stack. I wonder if he did know, if he would make a point of doing it on future BBs recordings.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 148 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx