gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680898 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 05, 2024, 10:58:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys release will make you 'SMiLE'  (Read 191369 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: February 18, 2011, 02:05:35 AM »

why is philcohen taking this so personal

We (meaning Beach Boys fans) should all be taking this personal.

But to slightly change the direction of this discussion, I should note, Brian, Mike, Bruce & Al are all at(or within a year of) 70 years old. Since I'm 16 years younger than they are, I'll likely outlive them and I'll be here to see a posthumous release of "Smile", if there is still a Capitol Records(or a record industry at all) to release it. But this Gang of Four should consider the advantages of releasing the material within their lifetimes: they'll be able to have input into the mixing, mastering, sequencing, liner notes & packaging. But they'll have no input whatsoever if "Smile" has to become a posthumous project released after they're all gone. Some posthumous compiler might decide to re-edit or tamper with the musical content or record new instrumental tracks, just like the dreaded producer Alan Douglas did on the Jimi Hendrix "Crash Landing" & "Midnight Lightning" albums, under the premise that he is "completing the recordings as the artist would have".

OK, promise this is the last time (until, uh, the next time of course):

Phil, the only person to have even hinted that what Alan initially announced may not come to pass is... Alan. Who last time I looked, didn't work for Capitol Records. No-one else directly involved has said anything. To quote the great Basil Fawlty, please try to understand this before one of us dies.

As for "they'll be able to have input into the mixing, mastering, sequencing, liner notes & packaging", except for the last two items (which I grant are potential minefields), only one person needs to be considered and he'll probably listen to the test discs once and go "fine".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 18, 2011, 02:13:05 AM »

But to slightly change the direction of this discussion, I should note, Brian, Mike, Bruce & Al are all at(or within a year of) 70 years old. Since I'm 16 years younger than they are, I'll likely outlive them and I'll be here to see a posthumous release of "Smile", if there is still a Capitol Records(or a record industry at all) to release it. But this Gang of Four should consider the advantages of releasing the material within their lifetimes: they'll be able to have input into the mixing, mastering, sequencing, liner notes & packaging. But they'll have no input whatsoever if "Smile" has to become a posthumous project released after they're all gone. Some posthumous compiler might decide to re-edit or tamper with the musical content or record new instrumental tracks, just like the dreaded producer Alan Douglas did on the Jimi Hendrix "Crash Landing" & "Midnight Lightning" albums, under the premise that he is "completing the recordings as the artist would have".

Phil, the only person to have even hinted that what Alan initially announced may not come to pass is... Alan. Who last time I looked, didn't work for Capitol Records. No-one else directly involved has said anything. To quote the great Basil Fawlty, please try to understand this before one of us dies.

As for "they'll be able to have input into the mixing, mastering, sequencing, liner notes & packaging", except for the last two items (which I grant are potential minefields), only one person needs to be considered and he'll probably listen to the test discs once and go "fine".

Blatantly inaccurate and I expect better Andrew.

He'll listen once and go "my wife says 'fine'".

They probably already did.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #577 on: February 18, 2011, 02:21:32 AM »

Blatantly inaccurate and I expect better Andrew.

He'll listen once and go "my wife says 'fine'".

They probably already did.

Also wrong - it'll be "my wifeandmanagers say "fine"".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 18, 2011, 05:30:01 AM »

Also, what is "Classic Albums?" (In March.)

I guess all of the Beach Boys "classic" albums can fit on 2 CDs...once you remove the filler Wink
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 18, 2011, 05:58:46 AM »

Also, what is "Classic Albums?" (In March.)

I guess all of the Beach Boys "classic" albums can fit on 2 CDs...once you remove the filler Wink

LOL mean but funny...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 18, 2011, 06:57:16 AM »

I do not go to Brian's board at all, and so I ask: Has his people flatly denied Al's comments? In the past, they have been very quick to kill rumors and get their side out. This release lives or dies mostly with Brian and what his "wifeandmanagers" say.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:59:23 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 18, 2011, 07:09:46 AM »

This release lives or dies mostly with Brian and what his "wifeandmanagers" say.

Well, that, and Mike's lawyers.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 18, 2011, 07:39:02 AM »

I do not go to Brian's board at all, and so I ask: Has his people flatly denied Al's comments? In the past, they have been very quick to kill rumors and get their side out. This release lives or dies mostly with Brian and what his "wifeandmanagers" say.

As AGD said, no one has denied what Alan said in his first comment, except Alan.  In that comment, he said that Brian has agreed to release the stuff.  In his retraction, he did not say anything about Brian changing his mind.  When asked, Capitol Records were not comfortable giving any information.  None of the other Beach Boys have said anything.  Neither Alan Boyd nor Mark Linett have denied anything.  I would say that if there was not going to be a release of the Smile stuff, one of the principals would have come out and said 'nope...not happening'.  No reason to be 'hush hush' if nothing's in the works.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:41:59 AM by LostArt » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 18, 2011, 07:48:26 AM »

I totally agree with you there. If this Smile release was really down for the count, I'm sure Brian's people would have put out a statement saying so.

Phil, hang in there, baby. All is not lost, yet.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 18, 2011, 07:49:32 AM »

As AGD said, no one has denied what Alan said in his first comment, except Alan.  In that comment, he said that Brian has agreed to release the stuff.  In his retraction, he did not say anything about Brian changing his mind.  When asked, Capitol Records were not comfortable giving any information.  None of the other Beach Boys have said anything.  Neither Alan Boyd nor Mark Linett have denied anything.  I would say that if there was not going to be a release of the Smile stuff, one of the principals would have come out and said 'nope...not happening'.  No reason to be 'hush hush' if nothing's in the works.

Y'right. Remember how Mike was dragged by his hair to a keyboard to retract his own 50th anniversary tale via BW's site, last year?

That ain't happened this time. There's still time I guess, but it ain't happened yet.  And with BW haviong presented BWPS 7 years ago, this has to be closer to his radar. But he's not instructed any denial.

I remain positive.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: February 18, 2011, 07:59:27 AM »

I wonder whether Brian would be worried over a SMiLE '67 set this year. Given that he gave the world his own completed version in 2004, to great acclaim, toured the thing, and went on to other projects, and given that SMiLE '67 wasn't finished and will never be, it seems to me that it's simply not in his nature to feel some sort of negative vibe, a competitive spirit, or even jealousy about the matter. And moreover, SMiLE '67 was his baby too, he's all over the place, so where's the objection?

I concur with AGD: his verdict on a well-compiled 'old' SMiLE would simply be: 'fine'.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
sparkydog1725
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 18, 2011, 03:12:45 PM »

This is a great thread, whether the damn thing gets an official release or not. Andrew G. Doe and Phil Cohen are very entertaining, opinionated, and informed gentlemen, and the great thing is they are debating a lot of points without attacking each other, regardless of comments from the peanut gallery trying to inflame the discussion. The Hoffman forums are much worse for losing Phil, as well as the defection of a few others who have had enough of Steve's nonsense, but it is still a great place to discuss pertinent topics such as "I want some BIG JOHN'S BEANS 'N' FIXIN'S. Where are they?", "Would The Beatles have stayed together had World War III broken out in 1968?" or "What's the temperature right now where you live? (Part 4)".  Roll Eyes

By the way, seventeen potential buyers of this release died while I was typing this. Hurry up, Capitol.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 18, 2011, 03:15:15 PM »

and the great thing is they are debating a lot of points without attacking each other

Won't be long! Wink

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
PhilCohen
« Reply #588 on: February 18, 2011, 04:33:35 PM »

This is a great thread, whether the damn thing gets an official release or not. Andrew G. Doe and Phil Cohen are very entertaining, opinionated, and informed gentlemen, and the great thing is they are debating a lot of points without attacking each other, regardless of comments from the peanut gallery trying to inflame the discussion. The Hoffman forums are much worse for losing Phil, as well as the defection of a few others who have had enough of Steve's nonsense, but it is still a great place to discuss pertinent topics such as "I want some BIG JOHN'S BEANS 'N' FIXIN'S. Where are they?", "Would The Beatles have stayed together had World War III broken out in 1968?" or "What's the temperature right now where you live? (Part 4)".  Roll Eyes

By the way, seventeen potential buyers of this release died while I was typing this. Hurry up, Capitol.

I doubt that Andrew & myself are going start attacking each other. It's not my "bag", though we disagree on the definition of the word "Mix"(noun). A carefully crafted  finished/polished mix by Mark Linett(or Stephen Desper or the late Chuck Britz) is a mix, but so is a clandestine one-pass-of-the tape mix from the multitracks(such as the mixes supplied to unofficial label "Sea of Tunes"). In either event, what we're talking about is someone mixing down a 3-track/half inch , 4-track/half inch or 8-track/one inch session multitrack tape to produce a stereo or mono result. A mix is a mix, whether an engineer has the luxury of spending hours on it, or whether the mix must be made quickly in 3 minutes, adjusting the mix "On The Fly".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 18, 2011, 09:35:14 PM »

Yeah, Phil, Al is not lost yet.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
PhilCohen
« Reply #590 on: February 19, 2011, 06:50:32 AM »

Al may not be lost, but All is lost
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 19, 2011, 07:08:51 AM »

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 19, 2011, 08:38:43 AM »

What is it exactly that drives you to feel the need to exact your opinion as more than just opinion?
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 19, 2011, 08:41:57 AM »

WAH_WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!
PhilCohen
« Reply #594 on: February 19, 2011, 09:10:19 AM »

What is it exactly that drives you to feel the need to exact your opinion as more than just opinion?

It was a joke about a typographical error. Obviously the person who posted it accidentally typed "Al" instead of "All".
And, by the way, just who is this "Debbie Downer"? One time, on the Steve Hoffman forums, I was compared to Ms.Downer, and someone posted a photo of her. As for the context in which I was previously compared to Ms. Downer, it was a long-ongoing thread concerning whether Neil Young would ever permit his "Archives Vol.1" box set to be released, after more than ten years of teasing his fans about it, and more than a half dozen cancelled release dates.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 19, 2011, 09:20:35 AM »

Debbie Downer was a character in a recurring SNL skit some years ago.  She would be at a party or family dinner, and every time someone would bring up a positive or exciting subject, Debbie would respond with a downer comment.  This was punctuated by the camera zooming in on her smirking expression and a trombone blast...WAH-WAAAAAAHHHH!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 19, 2011, 11:50:37 AM »

QUOTING

Thank you for straightening THAT out. 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 19, 2011, 01:02:54 PM »

[It was a joke about a typographical error. Obviously the person who posted it accidentally typed "Al" instead of "All".

That wasn't an accident, Phil.  The "typographical error" was mine and was intentional. And it was a joke.   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 19, 2011, 01:34:01 PM »

This guy I know confirmed to me a few weeks back that Capitol were indeed releasing "the Smile fragments". "This guy" really should be on the money, he has been practically/literally begging Capitol to do so since the early eighties!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 19, 2011, 01:50:04 PM »

This guy I know confirmed to me a few weeks back that Capitol were indeed releasing "the Smile fragments". "This guy" really should be on the money, he has been practically/literally begging Capitol to do so since the early eighties!

Thankee kindly, that's just the kind of thing I like to read/hear!

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 44 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx