gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 03:18:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "That's Why God Made The Radio" Single!  (Read 252529 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: May 06, 2012, 07:00:42 PM »

No b-side, it looks like? Shame.

No mas, por favor.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: May 09, 2012, 04:44:36 AM »

On the TV performance, the influence of "Midnight Cowboy" is so strong on the chorus that John Barry's estate might be interested. Sing "That's Why God Made" over this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6P96ukN5HU

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1177 on: May 10, 2012, 09:00:57 AM »

So...I've heard the song many times, but usually from YouTube clips and streaming on Pop Garden Radio...but finally I listened to the actual iTunes-purchased song last night, through my Bose headphones...

Song -- I thought I'd like it but not love it, but...I love it now!

The sound quality -- HORRIBLE. Really, it's brickwalled beyond belief. Every hit of the bass drum seriously rattled my head.....there's just no dynamic in the production...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: May 10, 2012, 09:05:47 AM »

The sound quality -- HORRIBLE. Really, it's brickwalled beyond belief. Every hit of the bass drum seriously rattled my head.....there's just no dynamic in the production...
Thank you, compressed digital music (mp3s and otherwise).  I can't listen to mp3s unless I have no alternative.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1179 on: May 10, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »

Thank you, compressed digital music (mp3s and otherwise).  I can't listen to mp3s unless I have no alternative.

I'm holding out for the physical album, which hopefully hasn't been compressed to death.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: May 10, 2012, 11:31:08 AM »

Thank you, compressed digital music (mp3s and otherwise).  I can't listen to mp3s unless I have no alternative.
Considering that it has only been released on lossy digital (AAC, MP3), I am betting it ws mastered that way. I'm sure there won't be much difference when the CD is released.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:33:28 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: May 10, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »

Casualties of the Loudness war.... Who's got a waveform?

No mas, por favor.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1182 on: May 10, 2012, 11:57:48 AM »

Casualties of the Loudness war....

And some people really wanted Rick Rubin to produce it.....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: May 10, 2012, 01:41:26 PM »

http://www.hulu.com/watch/ad/100571

You can also go to allmusic.com and flame the creep who's dissing The Beach Boys (...They went on Jimmy Fallon last night to croak through a few songs and pretend to play their instruments.) if yer in the mood.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1184 on: May 10, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »

That's just a promo CD made for radio presumably. Those are usually one-track affairs, unless they have some alternate edit or mix of the track to include as well. You know, if they wanted a version of "That's Why God Made the Radio" without all the swearing.  Cheesy

The European-style CD singles are where we would find non-album b-sides and the like, and it doesn't appear any commercial CD single has materialized yet. If one does, it's likely any non-album b-sides would be songs already featured in some other "exclusive" form like retailer-exclusive bonus tracks, or maybe a vocals-only mix or something like that. Just guesses, though.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: May 10, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »

That's just a promo CD made for radio presumably. Those are usually one-track affairs, unless they have some alternate edit or mix of the track to include as well. You know, if they wanted a version of "That's Why God Made the Radio" without all the swearing.  Cheesy

The European-style CD singles are where we would find non-album b-sides and the like, and it doesn't appear any commercial CD single has materialized yet. If one does, it's likely any non-album b-sides would be songs already featured in some other "exclusive" form like retailer-exclusive bonus tracks, or maybe a vocals-only mix or something like that. Just guesses, though.
I cancelled my pre-order for the single CD a few days ago. Seemed to me like it would never get released: no track list, no release date, nothing. Not to go all Phil Cohen on y'all, but it seems strange since the digital release already took place.. or whaddayathink?
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: May 10, 2012, 03:01:51 PM »

I cancelled my pre-order for the single CD a few days ago. Seemed to me like it would never get released: no track list, no release date, nothing. Not to go all Phil Cohen on y'all, but it seems strange since the digital release already took place.. or whaddayathink?

You'd have been aswell just leaving it mate, they don't take the money off you until it's shipped anyway. I would prefer it on 7" than CD though, I reckon they could do quite well with that.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: May 10, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »

Guess I'm dumb, but --

the only voice I distinctively make out through most of this is Brian, with Mike a bit toward the end.  IF I'd heard this without a caption on it, I'd have thought it was a Brian track with Brian's band singing the harmonies.  (Which it is, kinda, I know)

I won't judge the sound quality too harshly until the full-bandwidth version is released.  I know it's brickwall-mastered and auto-tuned a bit, but then most pop-related things are these days.  I deal.

That said -- s'all right.  I hear the Midnight Cowboy quote, but the key changes are cool.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: May 10, 2012, 06:41:09 PM »

Guess I'm dumb, but --

the only voice I distinctively make out through most of this is Brian, with Mike a bit toward the end.  IF I'd heard this without a caption on it, I'd have thought it was a Brian track with Brian's band singing the harmonies.  (Which it is, kinda, I know)

I won't judge the sound quality too harshly until the full-bandwidth version is released.  I know it's brickwall-mastered and auto-tuned a bit, but then most pop-related things are these days.  I deal.

That said -- s'all right.  I hear the Midnight Cowboy quote, but the key changes are cool.

They're all in there. Bruce can be heard the most apart from Brian, he's on the "In my car" line and he also does the "Fallin' in love" part at the end. Al does the same part as Bruce going into the second chorus but the words are "Like a prayer". I think it was Jon Stebbins (might be wrong though) who managed to pick out David in the harmony blend but i'm not familiar enough with his voice to pick it out personally.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: May 10, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »

No way, man. You're hearing sh*t. You wanted to hear it as compressed and modern. You're hysterical, you need to be put into a home. This song is so dynamic sounds and just like my homeboy Pac.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1190 on: May 10, 2012, 07:42:54 PM »

Sometimes it helps me to break a song down and figure it out when I see how someone else covers it.

but, anyway, here's this guy's cover version for those that haven't seen it yet.

Does he post here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZmozByQMEw

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: May 10, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »

Sometimes it helps me to break a song down and figure it out when I see how someone else covers it.

but, anyway, here's this guy's cover version for those that haven't seen it yet.

Does he post here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZmozByQMEw

Yeah he does!  I believe he even made a thread. Nice cover fo sho.

No mas, por favor.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1192 on: May 11, 2012, 06:54:18 AM »

Guess I'm dumb, but --

They're all in there. Bruce can be heard the most apart from Brian, he's on the "In my car" line and he also does the "Fallin' in love" part at the end. Al does the same part as Bruce going into the second chorus but the words are "Like a prayer".

Right.
Bruce is all over the harmonies. He's doing really a great job on the song. I didn't think his voice was still that strong. Al is also used quite strongly in the harmonies. I don't have a clue what David sounds like but apart from him, you can hear each Beach Boy clearly even if you have to concentrate at some points

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1193 on: May 11, 2012, 08:17:58 AM »

Besides Brian, I can definitely hear Jeff in the mix, and in some places Darian's voice is pretty clear. If you listen really carefully, you can hear Mike on the lower parts.

[And I hope Mr. Barfy-Milk was being facetious...]

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1194 on: May 11, 2012, 08:25:40 AM »

Besides Brian, I can definitely hear Jeff in the mix, and in some places Darian's voice is pretty clear. If you listen really carefully, you can hear Mike on the lower parts.

I don't think Darian or any other member of the background group is on there. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't make out any non-Beach Boy

- Jack Rieley
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: May 11, 2012, 08:32:18 AM »

I don't think Darian or any other member of the background group is on there. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't make out any non-Beach Boy

Yep. Just Jeff.

David's supposed to be singing the unison line after the bridge along with Mike and Al. That's what the video shows and that's what they do live. Can't single out his voice yet, though

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1196 on: May 11, 2012, 10:46:15 AM »

[And I hope Mr. Barfy-Milk was being facetious...]

This is from another thread, but I figured I'd repost it here. It is my analysis of the vocals, with some help from Lenny and Wirestone.

First verse:

"Tunin in the latest star
From the dashboard of my car..." - Brian

"Cruisin at 7
Push button Heaven" - Brian lead, Bruce and Alan harmony

"Capturing memories from afar" - Bruce doubling lead in left channel

"In my car" - Alan in right channel

"Far...." bass vocal - Michael

First Chorus:

Chorus falsetto parts - Jeff (singing like Carl)

Chorus non-falsetto parts - Bruce is loud in the left channel, possibly Mike and David
                                        Also unison vocals at some points (perhaps three or more BB's singing the same part together)

Low "everywhere you go" - Mike and Dave

Low wordless bass vocal before last "That's Why God..." Mike and/or Dave

"He waved his hand, Gave us rock and roll, the soundtrack for falling in love" - Bruce singing falsetto into regular voice

"Woaahhh" - Brian, of course

last "That's why God made the radio" of the first chorus - Bruce in left channel, Brian in center right

Second Verse:

"Feel the music in the air" - Brian

"Find a song to take us there" - Brian with Al doubling in right channel

"It's Paradise when I lift up my antennae" - Brian with Al harmonizing in right channel and Left channel (two Als!)

"Receiving your signal like a prayer" - Brian with Al doubling in left channel (the second syllable of the word "signal" evinces  Al's trademark vibrato, which I love"

"Like a prayer" - Al

Second Chorus

"That's why God..." non-falsetto - Al, Mike and Brian

Falsetto tag - Jeff again (obviously)

"Everywhere you go" and "Waved his hand" sustained vocals - Al and Bruce?

The last "That's why God made..." - Bruce again, but fades into Brian for the end of the phrase (!?) NB: Just listened again, and it sounds like Bruce's left channel vocal simply fades out before the end of the phrase, a common tack when doubled vocals don't line up well at the end of a phrase

Bridge

Lead vocals - Brian

"To a whole new generation" - Al, Bruce, Mike, David, Jeff (I don't hear Brian in there but he probably is as well)

"That's why God Made, That's why God made..." - Mike in the left channel (His voice has changed but he sounds great). Multitracked voices come into the right channel, doubling the line towards the beginning of the next part

Lead "That's why God made the Radio" - Bruce and Alan

Coda

Bass "That's why God made..." vocal - Mike and Dave

Right channel harmonies - Al and Bruce

Center Right harmonies - Brian and David

"For fallin' in Love" in left channel - Bruce 

Most falsetto and "Goooddddd...." Jeff

3:00 "That's why" in right channel -  Al, killing it as always

- B00ts
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1197 on: May 11, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »

That's Bruce. But Al does sing the "capturing mem'ries"

- Jack Rieley
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: May 11, 2012, 04:05:24 PM »

No. No that's DEFINITELY Al.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: May 11, 2012, 04:19:59 PM »

No. No that's DEFINITELY Al.

That's Al.  Bruce may be in there as well, as the guys seem to tade off even within certain lines.  But yeah, that's Al

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx