gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681033 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 09:46:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "That's Why God Made The Radio" Single!  (Read 252484 times)
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: April 22, 2012, 01:38:27 AM »

The video is now up on Al Jardines facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/aljardine

I was going to mention that.  I saw that on Twitter.  Kind of funny how, as EMI is trying to clamp down on it, there's ol' Al linking it!  Which is good.  This deserves to be heard by as many people as possible; though I do expect this iteration to also be pulled soon, unfortunately... 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:42:37 AM by Matthew M. » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 22, 2012, 01:44:45 AM »

Lyrics, as best I can decipher them:

Tunin' in the latest star
From the dashboard of my car
Cruisin' at seven
Push-button heaven
Capturin' memories from afar
In my car
In my car

chorus:
That's why God made the radio
So tune right in everywhere you go
He waved his hand
Gave us rock & roll
The soundtrack for fallin' in love
Fallin' in love
That's why God made the radio

Feel the music in the air
Find a song to take us there
It's paradise when I
Lift up my antennae
Recieving your signal
Like a prayer
Like a prayer

I'm not totally sure they sing "soundtrack" in the chorus, but I can't think of anything else that either fits or makes  sense... and how can you not adore this couplet ?

"It's paradise when I
Lift up my antennae"

These lyrics SCREAM BW. Smiley

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 22, 2012, 03:03:13 AM »

Only slight hint of sadness is that Brian could totally have nailed the high parts with Joe's help! But Jeff sounds great.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #828 on: April 22, 2012, 03:09:22 AM »

I'm not sure 'nailed' is quite the right expression, though he would certainly have given them his own unique twist.

So do we know who wrote and produced this? It sounds like Beach boys by numbers and not the sort of thing that B Wilson would have written for himself.

I might add that while I'm not a Marks evangelist I'm glad to see he is very present in the video. I guess the Management figured that they're all so old and grizzled now that no-one will be able to differentiate between them so that it doesn't matter, as long as they are all smilingl.  LOL
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:56:29 AM by brother john » Logged

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 22, 2012, 03:18:53 AM »

Only slight hint of sadness is that Brian could totally have nailed the high parts with Joe's help! But Jeff sounds great.

I wanna believe I hear him layered in some of the falsetto stuff. There's a high frequency that Jeff doesn't possess present during some of the chorus falsetto parts.

If it's not him (hard to decipher all of the voices as of now) The fact that BW's featured so prominently otherwise kinda overrides that.

There's definitely a lot of Al on the 2nd verse.

I'd even say this record sounds so good, that it makes me accept Jeff as part of the current Beach Boys sound.  Shocked
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 22, 2012, 04:00:48 AM »

They are sentimental old men, nothing is more sentimental then we old men therefore I dig it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 22, 2012, 05:18:41 AM »

So do we know who wrote and produced this? It sounds like Beach boys by numbers and not the sort of thing that B Wilson would have written for himself.

i agree with this.  But i think it's his production, and it sounds great.  I expect more musically from the rest of the album
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 22, 2012, 08:41:28 AM »

The cherry on top in the video is Karen Lamm in her T-Bird cruisin!

Cook pork throughly
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 22, 2012, 08:53:32 AM »

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but is there any way to extract that audio from the interviews so we can kind of hear the song and song only? Or should I just be patient.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 22, 2012, 08:55:16 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12601.msg258552.html#msg258552]
Y'know rhere's no sign of Jeff in this video, unlike the DIA feature.

“We live in divisive times.”
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 22, 2012, 09:00:23 AM »

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but is there any way to extract that audio from the interviews so we can kind of hear the song and song only? Or should I just be patient.

I tried it, but it's more "interesting" than "enjoyable".  They really lowered the music during the talking parts. So with this one, wiping out the vocal means wiping out a bunch of other stuff in the song too. That said, you can hear some vocals not really audible in the promo.

Shoot me a PM if u want to hear what I've been listening to.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 22, 2012, 09:09:42 AM »

Some of this song also reminds me of Kiss Me Baby, can anyone else hear this?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: April 22, 2012, 09:16:37 AM »

Some of this song also reminds me of Kiss Me Baby, can anyone else hear this?

Aye, agreed. And, funnily enough, Hot Fun In The Summertime.

BBs by numbers? What-if? Seems to work!

“We live in divisive times.”
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: April 22, 2012, 09:19:14 AM »

It sounded like Goin' On and Sail On Sailor put through a '65 Beach Boys filter to me. I like it a lot. The best Beach Boys single since California Dreamin' from '86 imo.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: April 22, 2012, 09:57:57 AM »

Sounds a LOT like Mid 60's Beach Boys to me.  Certainly more so than we could ever expect.  I agree with the poster who likened it to "All Summer Long".  Very similar vibe to the harmonies; which means, basically, it's the boys singing in full voice sounding fantastic. 

Somewhere, Carl and Dennis are very proud, imho.

The lyrics highlighted above about the Attenae, sound very brian wilson to me.  "We do it holding hands, it's so cold I go 'burr' ". 

Anyways, I think this song is fantastic and I hope the entire album is full of similar greatness.  If Al doesn't get kicked out of the band, lol. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: April 22, 2012, 10:00:39 AM »

Another thing that passed through my mind:

You know, we've only heard 2 songs.  "DIA", and "TWGMTR".  Both are very good, in my opinion, better than I would have hoped for... and now, the rumours, the stuff swirling around is "Do It Again" may not be on the album.

So; as good as Do It Again sounds, they're considering NOT putting it on there, or as some extra track, or whatever.  That HAS to speak well for the quality of the other material on the album. 
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 22, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »

I hope Do It Again doesn't end up on the new album because that's basically saying "hey sorry we couldn't come up with some new songs."

That's why I think it'll just be on the Walmart zinepack or whatever and maybe some other compilations and not the album.

No mas, por favor.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 22, 2012, 10:08:12 AM »

Another thing that passed through my mind:

You know, we've only heard 2 songs.  "DIA", and "TWGMTR".  Both are very good, in my opinion, better than I would have hoped for... and now, the rumours, the stuff swirling around is "Do It Again" may not be on the album.

So; as good as Do It Again sounds, they're considering NOT putting it on there, or as some extra track, or whatever.  That HAS to speak well for the quality of the other material on the album. 

hope so man
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 22, 2012, 11:27:25 AM »

Further reflection on this. Jeff may be in the mix, and even perhaps one or two others, but this definitely sounds more like the Beach Boys than Brian's band, and it sounds better than them too. Huge testament to the Beach Boys after all these years.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 22, 2012, 11:40:57 AM »

Word on the street has it that Foskett is fuming about this promo. Supposedly, they even went as far as to erase his lead in favor of Brian's! This was going to be his time to be the star and get the recognition he so justly deserves, and then the Boys stole it from him. Those harmonies, that arrangement - that was all Foskett's brainchild! He even played all the instruments! I for one am solely disappointed that this "reunion" has gone so sour!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 22, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »

Word on the street has it that Foskett is fuming about this promo. Supposedly, they even went as far as to erase his lead in favor of Brian's! This was going to be his time to be the star and get the recognition he so justly deserves, and then the Boys stole it from him. Those harmonies, that arrangement - that was all Foskett's brainchild! He even played all the instruments! I for one am solely disappointed that this "reunion" has gone so sour!
he's so angry that he's planning on blowing up the earth..he should be ready to do it by this december around the 21st or so..
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 22, 2012, 12:05:29 PM »

Jeff jokes need to stop. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #847 on: April 22, 2012, 12:15:58 PM »

Gotta love Al. Capitol takes the track down from Youtube, so Al puts it on his Facebook page. He is using guerilla tactics at this point. What a maniac!

- B00ts
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 22, 2012, 12:21:53 PM »

Gotta love Al. Capitol takes the track down from Youtube, so Al puts it on his Facebook page. He is using guerilla tactics at this point. What a maniac!

Um... that's not a Youtube video. That's an exclusive promo video endorsed by Capitol. They just don't want Youtubers posting unauthorized copies of it, which is why those other links got taken down. It's rather draconian, but hey - they're a big record label. Being draconian is their business model.

Jeff jokes need to stop.

How do you know I'm not Jeff Foskett? I have a right to joke about myself.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 22, 2012, 12:24:11 PM »

Al is a folk hero! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 49 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx