gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681034 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 11:44:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "That's Why God Made The Radio" Single!  (Read 252487 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: April 08, 2012, 08:22:27 AM »

Wow, I'm really excited now

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 08, 2012, 09:10:36 AM »

O boy o boy.  Maybe we'll get announcements for album and preview of twgmtr
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 08, 2012, 10:11:20 AM »

I don't think the vast majority of singles are even released physically anymore. So Dave could mean any number of things. And it's not like the band is going to be making a play for the charts, anyway. This is purely a promotional device, however it comes out.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:13:27 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #378 on: April 08, 2012, 10:20:23 AM »

I'm way out of touch. So I can't buy this as a physical single?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 08, 2012, 10:23:24 AM »

Nothing has been announced.  But I'd expect maybe a vinyl single
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 08, 2012, 10:25:52 AM »

I wonder if they did a deal with iTunes to have a front page feature.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 08, 2012, 01:42:26 PM »

Better start saving up for an iTunes card, nobody here will probably share it.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 08, 2012, 01:57:21 PM »

Someone must have heard this song, is it any good, worthy of a 50th anniversary tour?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 08, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »

I'm picking itunes and also available for radio airplay this week. Would make sense to get a bit of momentum before it probably gets played live at the reunion gigs later this month.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 08, 2012, 02:19:27 PM »

I don't think the vast majority of singles are even released physically anymore. So Dave could mean any number of things. And it's not like the band is going to be making a play for the charts, anyway. This is purely a promotional device, however it comes out.

Probyn said it sounds like a hit. And with the current musical competition, I'd say there's a very good chance it does well on the charts. It's not like they have much competition. Too many shite artists releasing crap in today's musical landscape.

And if it's not a hit, you can expect a Summer In Paradise II.

No mas, por favor.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: April 08, 2012, 02:22:10 PM »

It's not like they have much competition. Too many sh*te artists releasing crap in today's musical landscape.
irrelevant.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 08, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »

Better start saving up for an iTunes card, nobody here will probably share it.

Listen to her!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 08, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »

Probyn said it sounds like a hit. And with the current musical competition, I'd say there's a very good chance it does well on the charts. It's not like they have much competition. Too many sh*te artists releasing crap in today's musical landscape.

This post is detached from reality.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 08, 2012, 02:50:50 PM »

It's not like they have much competition. Too many sh*te artists releasing crap in today's musical landscape.
irrelevant.

How is that irrelevant? The Beach Boys have become hip again amongst the "indie" or "hipster" crowd, which is a pretty large demographic. If Brian's Disney album can peak at 83 on the Billboard 200 album chart, there's obviously people still interested in the music. More people will be interested in this since it's "Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys" and not a bunch of cover songs from children's movies.

Unless this is some awful, embarrassing song, which it very well may be, (It sounds like a hit to me, even by modern 2012 standards.) there's a very good chance it will do well.

No mas, por favor.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 08, 2012, 02:57:19 PM »

Probyn said it sounds like a hit. And with the current musical competition, I'd say there's a very good chance it does well on the charts. It's not like they have much competition. Too many sh*te artists releasing crap in today's musical landscape.

This post is detached from reality.

The f*** is that supposed to mean? The single/album are either going to do well, or they're not.

No mas, por favor.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 08, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »

irrelevant.

How is that irrelevant? The Beach Boys have become hip again amongst the "indie" or "hipster" crowd, which is a pretty large demographic. If Brian's Disney album can peak at 83 on the Billboard 200 album chart, there's obviously people still interested in the music. More people will be interested in this since it's "Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys" and not a bunch of cover songs from children's movies.

Unless this is some awful, embarrassing song, which it very well may be, (It sounds like a hit to me, even by modern 2012 standards.) there's a very good chance it will do well.

a) The hipster crowd is interested in specific albums, not the Beach Boys as a band in general or the band who recorded numerous surf & car hits. They won't care for a new Beach Boys single, they pretend to care for PET SOUNDS etc.
b) The hipster crowd didn't buy Brian's Disney LP, parents did that to give the CD to their kids. And okay, a few hardcore fans bought it, but Disney makes money with parents. Therefore, the Disney LP is not an indicator for how the Beach Boys reunion album might fare.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: April 08, 2012, 03:03:35 PM »

The Single on amazon.de:

http://www.amazon.de/Thats-Why-God-Made-Radio/dp/B007Q0OJC2

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 08, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »

irrelevant.

a) The hipster crowd is interested in specific albums, not the Beach Boys as a band in general or the band who recorded numerous surf & car hits. They won't care for a new Beach Boys single, they pretend to care for PET SOUNDS etc.
b) The hipster crowd didn't buy Brian's Disney LP, parents did that to give the CD to their kids. And okay, a few hardcore fans bought it, but Disney makes money with parents. Therefore, the Disney LP is not an indicator for how the Beach Boys reunion album might fare.

Of course they're interested in "certain albums." Everybody who listens to music is only interested in "certain albums." If you think that the younger people of today just "pretend to care for Pet Sounds" then you don't know wtf you're talking about. I see and hear their early 70s work mentioned as much, if not more, than Pet Sounds. The period from Summer Days to Love You is what is mentioned the most though, yeah, and somewhere in that sandwich of releases is the one that the new album is apparently supposed to be similar to.

And notice I said "people" when mentioning the Disney album, not "hipsters." Because I'm assuming that you're just assuming that people bought it for their kids not realizing there's several generations who grew up with The Beach Boys and Disney movies. Haven't read a whole lot of reviews that start off with "I bought this for my kids and..."

What about the Gershwin album that made it to 26 on the Billboard top 200? Does that also not matter because "parents just bought it for their convalescing parents because hipsters don't listen to Gershwin?"

"Brian Wilson" and "The Beach Boys" are pretty much synonymous, so if TWO albums of cover songs can do that decent on the charts, I don't see why the first Beach Boys album/single in a couple decades isn't going to do substantially better.

No mas, por favor.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 08, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »

Is there a release date listed on there?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 08, 2012, 03:55:02 PM »

irrelevant.

Of course they're interested in "certain albums." Everybody who listens to music is only interested in "certain albums." If you think that the younger people of today just "pretend to care for Pet Sounds" then you don't know wtf you're talking about. I see and hear their early 70s work mentioned as much, if not more, than Pet Sounds. The period from Summer Days to Love You is what is mentioned the most though, yeah, and somewhere in that sandwich of releases is the one that the new album is apparently supposed to be similar to.

And notice I said "people" when mentioning the Disney album, not "hipsters." Because I'm assuming that you're just assuming that people bought it for their kids not realizing there's several generations who grew up with The Beach Boys and Disney movies. Haven't read a whole lot of reviews that start off with "I bought this for my kids and..."

What about the Gershwin album that made it to 26 on the Billboard top 200? Does that also not matter because "parents just bought it for their convalescing parents because hipsters don't listen to Gershwin?"

"Brian Wilson" and "The Beach Boys" are pretty much synonymous, so if TWO albums of cover songs can do that decent on the charts, I don't see why the first Beach Boys album/single in a couple decades isn't going to do substantially better.
Woah, cool down.

Besides, I didn't know you were talking about the "hipster" culture as young people in general. Which is a mistake, by the way. Hipster culture is a concrete but constricted phenomenon, and its "members" really don't care about the entire discography of the Beach Boys. Trust me. It's even debatable if they're really interested in the stuff they do seem to care about (PET SOUNDS, SMiLE etc.).

Regarding your lines on the Gershwin LP.. dude, I don't know what you're trying to say.

Bottom line: anyone here (including me, of course) would love to see a successful single release - obviously. It's just highly unlikely that a broad audience will notice/care. A broad enough audience to make it a hit, that is. And that's what this argument is all about.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 08, 2012, 03:56:38 PM »

I haven't bought a single since Kokomo in '88

Smiley How's this for out of touch - bought the 'Still Cruisin' and '...Japan' 45s in person from a record shop last Sunday - and I paid with cash.

A physical release would be cool, but I'll take whatever comes along!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 03:58:31 PM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 08, 2012, 04:04:41 PM »

The album will most likely do well. Top 20, at a minimum. That says more about who's buying albums these days, but still. The single is a promo. I doubt there is a radio format that would play a new song by the BB these days, and that's one of the most important factors for singles chart placement. So everyone cool off and let whatever happens happen.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: April 08, 2012, 04:17:29 PM »

irrelevant.

Woah, cool down.

Besides, I didn't know you were talking about the "hipster" culture as young people in general. Which is a mistake, by the way. Hipster culture is a concrete but constricted phenomenon, and its "members" really don't care about the entire discography of the Beach Boys. Trust me. It's even debatable if they're really interested in the stuff they do seem to care about (PET SOUNDS, SMiLE etc.).

Regarding your lines on the Gershwin LP.. dude, I don't know what you're trying to say.

Bottom line: anyone here (including me, of course) would love to see a successful single release - obviously. It's just highly unlikely that a broad audience will notice/care. A broad enough audience to make it a hit, that is. And that's what this argument is all about.

Either way, hipsters don't buy music.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 08, 2012, 06:15:28 PM »

I think it is remarkable that nothing has leaked yet. We're dying to hear something, to be sure, but someone's doing his job. Just remember that we got to hear BW's last 2 albums about 2 weeks prior to their release date!

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: April 08, 2012, 06:18:47 PM »

I think it is remarkable that nothing has leaked yet. We're dying to hear something, to be sure, but someone's doing his job. Just remember that we got to hear BW's last 2 albums about 2 weeks prior to their release date!

Alternatively, it may have leaked, but no-one's saying anything.

Doubt it though, as everything about the C50 seems exceeding tight.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 49 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx