gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681060 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 18, 2024, 08:37:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "That's Why God Made The Radio" Single!  (Read 252520 times)
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »

You're the only person upset about this whole mob thing, here's an idea: get over it and stop boring everyone.

I could condense my remarks some. But whether I do or not, you're still going to endure the
rest of your life, as an offensive little man, who lays in wait on chatboards so you can pounce
on someone you perceive as weak. Or less than you.

The connections I pointed out, are quite interesting, maybe not to you, but then if you hear cries
of help from your neighbor's maybe you're inclined to say "thoughtless A Holes" instead of calling 911

I've spent my life in music, and I get sad when one of my heroic bands (the Beach Boys) step into business
with some hoods. But then Gene Landy might have been a hood of a different sort.

That must be a big weight on your shoulders to speak for the entire membership, "nobody cares"
a blanket "Paco speaks for everybody!"

and then the other guy who says "Phil Cohen is hacking into people's accounts,  now he is a rude
cruel guy too, but at least he is funny!  cruel+ funny police Smokin Cool Guy

Listen Eye of the Tiger was a hit, like an assembly line Journey type of music , no soul, just assembly line
that's bad enough, but when you throw in Scotti Brothers, and how it all ties in with "that's why God made the radio"
it's creepy

You know when I went into the Scotti brothers building on Sunset, I was just a kid, I was afraid they'd kill  us
and not let us out, they focused   attention on their mafia roots, they didn't hide it, they used it as a marketing
tool, while I was in the building, their A&R guy started talking about my health, these people are directly connected
to "That's why God Made the Radio". I felt it was an intersting story to discuss. That's all.

The Beach Boys are America's band, the same way people try and promote America's football team, or baseball team
that carries with it, a certain responsibility, to act a certain way. If you sing at Reagan's library, you shouldn't be involved
with mobsters., especially by choice.3

I don't like it Taco, when a guy like you, tries to pick on me, inferring, my mind is sick or I am delusional, I just pointed
out a story, about the backround of the people who wrote "that's why god made the radio" and the songs connection
with the Beach Boys. Read the article from Anthony Scotti's own lips,

I'll try and condense my remarks here, and be brief, you try and watch how you attack me personally little man, with
your "I speak for everyone here" bulls^^t

Back to the song, I find the title reminds me of what I would typically hear  in a new Country type of song, and I have
trouble imagining, complex, lush layered Beach Boy harmonies over that title, but maybe it's great, I am anxious to
hear a lush beach boy vocal arrangement over what sounds to me like a country song title.

The Brian Wilson Christmas album sounded like authentic, vintage Brian Wilson production to me, therefore, I hope
this new album has at least some vintage BW production. Beach Boys 65 that's the description everyone keeps using
I tend to believe them. Why not? They would know.

Finally Adam, I don't know if the mob is still involved with record companies and clubs, I suspect they are, but who knows.
that guy Peternik (that's why god made the radio) could answer that question I presume. Or Joe Thomas maybe,

Bring on That's Why God Made The Radio, I am excited as hell about a new real, authentic (mostly) Beach Boy album!
Far Out
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2012, 04:45:26 PM »

Ironically, the mob probably gave its artists a fairer shake than a lot of labels did...the music industry attracts lots of unsavory types.  Read up on a guy named Stan Polley...that story will make your hair curl.  I actually prefer some of the sharks (not Polley though, Christ, someone should have put a bullet through his head) to some of the folks I've observed down at the bottom -- not talking Beach Boys specifically here, just a general observation.  The sharks are out to make money, whereas the hangers-on are trying to leech money and reflected glory.  You can chart the career of many successful bands by their ratio of the hanger-on types to actual competent people that got the work done.

Although come to think of it, I think Polley may have had mob ties too.  Kind of shoots a hole in my own argument.  Oh well.  It's amazing good music gets out there, some how, some way.  There are plenty of obstacles to it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:02:02 PM by adamghost » Logged
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2012, 04:53:05 PM »

I hear the new album may be titled "Songs For Pussies and Pizza Parlors"

Actually, I heard it was going to be called "Goodbye Surfing, Hello To My Little Friend"
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2012, 05:21:21 PM »

Ironically, the mob probably gave its artists a fairer shake than a lot of labels did...the music industry attracts lots of unsavory types.  Read up on a guy named Stan Polley...that story will make your hair curl.  I actually prefer some of the sharks (not Polley though, Christ, someone should have put a bullet through his head) to some of the folks I've observed down at the bottom -- not talking Beach Boys specifically here, just a general observation.  The sharks are out to make money, whereas the hangers-on are trying to leech money and reflected glory.  You can chart the career of many successful bands by their ratio of the hanger-on types to actual competent people that got the work done.

Although come to think of it, I think Polley may have had mob ties too.  Kind of shoots a hole in my own argument.  Oh well.  It's amazing good music gets out there, some how, some way.  There are plenty of obstacles to it.

It's always been a crooked business. Yes certainly the mob probably helped some people have careers. I don't know of Polly, but
I have seen a gazillion suits, some are cool, some are not, and there are all kinds or were, of different types of mobs and what not.

Look at the state of the music business now, I sort of liked the old system, at least it functioned. Artists were groomed, they grew
Some people got signed and groomed who didn't deserve it, some didn't get signed who did deserve it. People got cheated, at least
we had a functioning music business, I don't even understand how it works now. There doesn't seem to be a center, where things
spring from. It's all very haphazard now. Something will emerge from this chaos,

The World needs a good hit single from the Beach Boys, regardless of who wrote the tune, I really believe it's a good thing for the world
, Karma, and hopefully a nudge that might point the music business back into the right direction. The world could use a few new rock stars
who have the talent and live up to the hype. I don't know if Jack White and Lady Ga Ga, are deserving of the mantle, of this generations
rock stars,

Sigh new Beach Boy album featuring Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, Carl and David, in 2012, what the heck could be better than that, I just hope
they deliver the goods, and turn in a really fine album. On some level it will be good for the planet, music influences culture as much as
culture influences music. At least I think so.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2012, 05:32:51 PM »

I just hope there are more Brian/Mike songs on the album than not.
SG7
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »

Ahhh The Beach Boys story never gets dull!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2012, 05:59:26 PM »

The musical term 'hit' has taken on a whole new context after reading the last few pages of this thread!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »

Wow, quite the turn this thread has taken!  

I don't particularly care about the mob thing, and the fact that the song seemingly wasn't written by any of the Beach Boys isn't a big deal in and of itself.  I'm just hoping that Brian and Mike have come up with some equally good tracks.  The pre-album hype thus far as pointed to "That's Why God Made the Radio" being the best of the bunch, and it would obviously be disappointing if the best track on a Beach Boys album was something that none of them had a hand in writing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »

Brian has worked with Joe Thomas and Jim Peternik in the past, so I don't get why the "mob links" would be a problem now. Frank Sinatra was rumored to work with the mob back in the day and he is an american icon.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2012, 06:51:35 PM »

i wonder how many we'll get.  3 from them two?  then maybe 2 more brian with others
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2012, 06:58:59 PM »

i wonder how many we'll get.  3 from them two?  then maybe 2 more brian with others

I bet it'll break down like this: 12 songs, 8-9 BW co-writes, 3-4 of those with Mike. One song from Al, one song from Dave, one song from Bruce.

Something like that.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2012, 08:12:39 PM »

Brian has worked with Joe Thomas and Jim Peternik in the past, so I don't get why the "mob links" would be a problem now. Frank Sinatra was rumored to work with the mob back in the day and he is an American icon.

Because when the link to Scotti Brothers, and all those music biz mobsters, became apparent to me, is when I mentioned it.
And I spoke about it at some length.

I hope wirestone is right in his prediction, or hope, 8-9 Brian Wilson co-writes, 3-4 with Love. One From Jardine
One From Johnston, something along those lines.

If "That's why God made the radio" sounds great, that will go a long, long way towards squashing any of the
backround people involved. If the record sounds like an assembly line hack job, by Old Scotti Brothers type people
then I think people will say, why didn't they call Carol King or Rick Rubin or Jackie Deshannon, or people they could
trust if they needed an outside song..

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Carol Bayer Sager or someone help on She Says that She needs me. We have the
much earlier Beach Boy track, with the melody and basic idea cut years before Joe Thomas ever worked with Wilson
so why is Thomas credited as a co writer on that song, what did he do? add the word "the" or some trivial thing, Thomas
is listed as a writer on that song right? Except for some of the lyrics, the Beach Boy demo has 80% of that song locked.

If the song is a great single, and Capitol uses all their expertise and muscle to push it, and they can get it on radio, and keep
doing TV and going on tour, it could be a monster hit, if it's good. We shall see. the $64 dollar question, will be answered soon.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »

You're the only person upset about this whole mob thing, here's an idea: get over it and stop boring everyone.

I could condense my remarks some. But whether I do or not, you're still going to endure the
rest of your life, as an offensive little man, who lays in wait on chatboards so you can pounce

The connections I pointed out, are quite interesting, maybe not to you, but then if you hear cries
of help from your neighbor's maybe you're inclined to say "thoughtless A Holes" instead of calling 911

I've spent my life in music, and I get sad when one of my heroic bands (the Beach Boys) step into business
with some hoods. But then Gene Landy might have been a hood of a different sort.

That must be a big weight on your shoulders to speak for the entire membership, "nobody cares"

and then the other guy who says "Phil Cohen is hacking into people's accounts,  now he is a rude
cruel guy too, but at least he is funny!  cruel+ funny police Smokin Cool Guy

Listen Eye of the Tiger was a hit, like an assembly line Journey type of music , no soul, just assembly line
that's bad enough, but when you throw in Scotti Brothers, and how it all ties in with "that's why God made the radio"
it's creepy

You know when I went into the Scotti brothers building on Sunset, I was just a kid, I was afraid they'd kill  us
and not let us out, they focused   attention on their mafia roots, they didn't hide it, they used it as a marketing
tool, while I was in the building, their A&R guy started talking about my health, these people are directly connected
to "That's why God Made the Radio". I felt it was an intersting story to discuss. That's all.

The Beach Boys are America's band, the same way people try and promote America's football team, or baseball team
that carries with it, a certain responsibility, to act a certain way. If you sing at Reagan's library, you shouldn't be involved

I don't like it Taco, when a guy like you, tries to pick on me, inferring, my mind is sick or I am delusional, I just pointed
out a story, about the backround of the people who wrote "that's why god made the radio" and the songs connection

I'll try and condense my remarks here, and be brief, you try and watch how you attack me personally little man, with

Back to the song, I find the title reminds me of what I would typically hear  in a new Country type of song, and I have
trouble imagining, complex, lush layered Beach Boy harmonies over that title, but maybe it's great, I am anxious to
hear a lush beach boy vocal arrangement over what sounds to me like a country song title.

The Brian Wilson Christmas album sounded like authentic, vintage Brian Wilson production to me, therefore, I hope
this new album has at least some vintage BW production. Beach Boys 65 that's the description everyone keeps using

Finally Adam, I don't know if the mob is still involved with record companies and clubs, I suspect they are, but who knows.
that guy Peternik (that's why god made the radio) could answer that question I presume. Or Joe Thomas maybe,

Bring on That's Why God Made The Radio, I am excited as hell about a new real, authentic (mostly) Beach Boy album!
Far Out

Wait...the guy's name is PAULOS...not 'Paco' or 'Taco'. I sincerely hope you didn't choose those two words for the reason it seems like to me...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »

We have the
much earlier Beach Boy track, with the melody and basic idea cut years before Joe Thomas ever worked with Wilson
so why is Thomas credited as a co writer on that song, what did he do? add the word "the" or some trivial thing, Thomas
is listed as a writer on that song right? Except for some of the lyrics, the Beach Boy demo has 80% of that song locked.

Thomas wrote the horrible instrumental solo section.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2012, 08:57:24 PM »

We have the

Thomas wrote the horrible instrumental solo section.

Joe is not listed as a co-writer on the song. BMI (and the CD booklet) credit it to Wilson / Titelman / Bayer Sager

http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&keyID=4446603&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID

And the horn section in the song is arranged by Brian.

Q: And that clarinet section in the middle of "She Says That She Needs Me," I love that. Is that your arrangement?

A: Oh yeah, that was me. He (talking about the clarinet player/section leader, I think. Or Joe Thomas? Who knows?) took it down verbatim and did it right there.

http://www.peteramescarlin.com/node/194
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 09:08:34 PM by Wirestone » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »

Brian wrote it? I like it a lot better now.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2012, 10:28:32 PM »

Was referring to the keyboard part, which sounds more like a Joe Thomas kinda trip.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 01, 2012, 10:35:02 PM »

Was referring to the keyboard part, which sounds more like a Joe Thomas kinda trip.

Not denying there's cheese in there!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2012, 12:07:18 AM »

LOL

BTW the title of the new album has been decided upon.

Return Of The Hit Men.

I like it.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Paulos
« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2012, 01:12:19 AM »

and then the other guy who says "Phil Cohen is hacking into people's accounts,  now he is a rude
cruel guy too, but at least he is funny!  cruel+ funny police Smokin Cool Guy

it's creepy

You know when I went into the Scotti brothers building on Sunset, I was just a kid, I was afraid they'd kill  us
and not let us out, they focused   attention on their mafia roots, they didn't hide it, they used it as a marketing

Back to the song, I find the title reminds me of what I would typically hear  in a new Country type of song, and I have

Far Out

Wait...the guy's name is PAULOS...not 'Paco' or 'Taco'. I sincerely hope you didn't choose those two words for the reason it seems like to me...

I think he might be trying to be insulting towards hispanic people, not realising I'm a white English guy! If he is then he should be banned for attempting to incite racial hatred. I loved the 'I don't like it Taco, when a guy like you, tries to pick on me, inferring, my mind is sick or I am delusional' - all I said that was he was getting upset and boring everyone, how does that translate as calling someone delusional? Oh and as for the 'offensive little man' comment I am 6ft 1 so not really so little. Also, you are the most boring poster on any board ever, but I am grateful for your helping my insomnia.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:29:13 AM by Paulos » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2012, 01:29:15 AM »

LOL

Return Of The Hit Men.

I like it.

We need EarCandy to ease the tension around here.

“We live in divisive times.”
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2012, 03:39:07 AM »

LOL

Return Of The Hit Men.

I like it.

Thats what me and hypehat want as well.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Paulos
« Reply #147 on: April 02, 2012, 03:46:49 AM »

LOL

Return Of The Hit Men.

I like it.

I want EarCandy to photoshop me roundhouse kicking Vintagemusic into a woodchipper whilst Don Corleone looks on.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2012, 03:55:43 AM »

No you won't, Vintage is under my protection. Any more of your threats and you'll be pushing up the daisies, wearing a concrete overcoat as you sleep with the fishes.

Capiche?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2012, 03:56:15 AM »

LOL

Return Of The Hit Men.

I like it.

I want EarCandy to photoshop me roundhouse kicking Vintagemusic into a woodchipper whilst Don Corleone looks on.

LOL

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 49 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx