gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680894 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 01:29:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love & Mercy Film - All UK based fans  (Read 12425 times)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2015, 08:07:00 AM »

Roger Friedman (Showbiz411) does make some good points.  However, he has been kind of a negative Nancy for several weeks now about the handling by Roadside Attractions.

I think probably the reason the Lions Gate, which owns N. American distribution rights, held the release is because of several notable music biopics in 2014 that didn't go over so well.  Plus, Brian had a new album out in the spring and – at the time – still had the biography due this fall.  Still unclear of the actual release date on the biography.  At any rate, I guess that's why June 2015 was chosen.  Counter programming to Avengers and Jurassic Park.

The film is still playing in 2 theaters in my city and doing a quick cursory search of Fandango, it is still playing around the country.  Without any facts to back it up, I would imagine it's still in roughly 400 theaters which is only slightly less than it started with in the first place on June 5th.  

For those of you that are curious, it is available for pre-order on iTunes & Google Play in the US.  Amazon, Best Buy both list the DVD/Blu-Ray release date as September 15th, as well.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2015, 10:06:05 AM »

Found my showing…

“We live in divisive times.”
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2015, 11:12:03 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2015/jul/10/love-and-mercy-video-review

For our friends across the pond, video review on The Guardian website.  Happy release day!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2015, 04:26:54 PM »

Blissed out. Gorgeous film. Glad I saw it on opening day with my gal. More thoughts when collected, in the appropriate thread.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2015, 05:18:55 PM »

As I said before, that Friedman guy is a blowhard who is known for taking small kernels of a non-story and turning it into a big epic controversy. And yeah, that article is pretty much a re-write of the same thing he wrote however many days or weeks ago.

He continually ignores what the budget was for the film or what their expectations were or are. That's a HUGE part of how one gauges the financial success of a movie. And that's not even getting into the critical success and awards possibilities, which often have little to do with the box office gross. I think films have taken in less than L&M and still garnered Academy Awards.

As others have stated, this film was targeted as an "indie" release. Really, I was surprised it got as wide of a release as it did. Months ago, I expected it would hit the festival circuit and maybe have a super-limited engagement in some big cities, and then hit the paid streaming market. There are many other movies of a generally similar sort who have had a smaller release in theaters than L&M got. There's a whole market now for in-theater movies that are also tossed up on Amazon paid streaming as "See It While It's In Theaters!" titles for a slightly premium price (usually $6.99). I thought L&M might quickly go to that. That this thing managed a multi-week run in US theaters, and even built in theaters in its second week, is quite surprising.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2015, 05:53:33 PM »

As I said before, that Friedman guy is a blowhard who is known for taking small kernels of a non-story and turning it into a big epic controversy. And yeah, that article is pretty much a re-write of the same thing he wrote however many days or weeks ago.

Oh for sure, in my daily Google searches on the topic of L&M, I'll read him writing roughly the same thing probably ever 5-7 days. 

He continually ignores what the budget was for the film or what their expectations were or are. That's a HUGE part of how one gauges the financial success of a movie. And that's not even getting into the critical success and awards possibilities, which often have little to do with the box office gross. I think films have taken in less than L&M and still garnered Academy Awards.

I think THE HURT LOCKER only grossed like $15 or $16, if memory serves.  And that won Best Picture, of course.  Films like THE ARTIST and BIRDMAN benefited greatly from Golden Globes and Academy buzz.  Their grosses rose substantially after being nominated and subsequently winning.  L&M will be remembered at awards time if for no other  reason than Paul Dano.  He crushed it.

As others have stated, this film was targeted as an "indie" release. Really, I was surprised it got as wide of a release as it did. Months ago, I expected it would hit the festival circuit and maybe have a super-limited engagement in some big cities, and then hit the paid streaming market. There are many other movies of a generally similar sort who have had a smaller release in theaters than L&M got. There's a whole market now for in-theater movies that are also tossed up on Amazon paid streaming as "See It While It's In Theaters!" titles for a slightly premium price (usually $6.99). I thought L&M might quickly go to that. That this thing managed a multi-week run in US theaters, and even built in theaters in its second week, is quite surprising.

I think in one of the L&M threads there was some discussion about the release strategy.  I think I wrote something about how I knew Lions Gate had only purchased the distribution rights for like $3 million.  River Road (e.g. Bill Pohlad) self financed the thing.  This was always going to be a small indie film.  I think a movie like RAY or WALK THE LINE could have been made about Brian but then it wouldn't be LOVE & MERCY which, in my opinion, is on a whole other level artistically than those two biopics.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2015, 06:35:08 PM »

So they may have already reached the point of profit for the film (depending on the production and advertising budget), and it's still in theaters in some markets and hasn't even reached the home video/streaming phase which will bring in more money.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2015, 11:21:43 PM »

Wonder what will happen to it here in the UK? Steph and I, and one bloke who arrived late and left early, were the only ones in the screening, one of four scheduled for yesterday though the fourth had already been cancelled. The young guy who checked our tickets asked what the movie was about and when I explained said he'd have to watch it himself as he was a big fan of the band and their productions. Not a single poster for the film anywhere in the cinema, no mention of it in the cinema's own "what's showing"-type 'zine.

If I hadn't known it was on, I wouldn't have known it was on.

Still, Brian's cancelled his arena tour here to look after all the publicity arising, so things should be okay.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2015, 12:09:00 AM »

Still, Brian's cancelled his arena tour here to look after all the publicity arising, so things should be okay.

The barbed comments and thinly-veiled sarcasm are my domain, sirrah. My man will meet with your man to arrange the time and date. Satisfaction, I say ! Satisfaction, sirrah !!

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2015, 12:37:35 AM »

The barbed comments and thinly-veiled sarcasm are my domain, sirrah. My man will meet with your man to arrange the time and date. Satisfaction, I say ! Satisfaction, sirrah !!

LOL

But my man will drive while your man takes the bus, and by the time your man gets there my man will have had his satisfaction and be long gone. Wink

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2015, 02:46:07 AM »

Wonder what will happen to it here in the UK? Steph and I, and one bloke who arrived late and left early, were the only ones in the screening, one of four scheduled for yesterday though the fourth had already been cancelled. The young guy who checked our tickets asked what the movie was about and when I explained said he'd have to watch it himself as he was a big fan of the band and their productions. Not a single poster for the film anywhere in the cinema, no mention of it in the cinema's own "what's showing"-type 'zine.

If I hadn't known it was on, I wouldn't have known it was on.

I went to see it in Glasgow with my wife.  Went for a meal beforehand in a restaurant across the road. The guy serving us asked if we were going to the cinema.  When I said yes and we were going to see Love and Mercy he said, "oh that's that Beach Boys film?"  I was pleasantly surprised he knew about it.  Then he said his pal wanted to go and see it but they wold need to be quick as it "might be one of those ones that are only on for a week".

No posters anywhere for it in the cinema.  Despite that, it was reasonably busy with a wide demographic represented.  With more publicity it could easily draw in more people.
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2015, 03:53:24 PM »

Will be Monday before I get to see it. Unless I get the 10:00 showing on Saturday before work. Got to travel to Birmingham no showing in Wolverhampton.

Wow i thought i was the only BB/BW fan in wolverhampton! Im goin to london to watch it today with a friend to make a day of it. Looked at dudley but its not showing. Try cineworld in bently bridge
[/quote

Ah ha ... That makes two of us! Not on at Bentley Bridge so it's either Star City or Broad Street Cineworld in Brum(Birmingham U.K for those the other side of the pond).

Never thought to check the Dudley screenings, thought Lighthouse Cinema may have had it on in the Chubb building.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2015, 02:28:55 AM »

**Mild spoiler alert**

I finally saw the movie last night at my local picture house.

Initially I feared I might struggle to 'suspend my disbelief' as, like many here, I'm very familiar with the stories surrounding the band, and the characters themselves - Brian Wilson in particular. Although physically a good resemblance, I found it difficult to reconcile Dano's portrayal with the BW I've seen and heard on sessions reels and in interview clips. Dano is very effective in portraying the fragile, sensitive, childlike sides of the younger BW, but I missed the goofy, humorous aspects that strike me as a central part of the young Wilson - BW the clown. I sense a lot of BW's clowning was a defence to hide his sensitivity, whereas the sensitivity in Dano's portrayal was a little too overt for my tastes. That said, it was clearly necessary to portray Wilson that way for the purpose of the narrative.

I had to remind myself that Dano's performance was never going to be a carbon copy of the real thing and once I could accept his performance on its own terms, I began to enjoy him and the 60s sections of the film very much. The strengths of those portions for me lay in all the period details, the sets and clothing. I'm no expert, but from what I've gleaned from Guitarfool's posts, they'd done their homework. It was beautiful to see photos we're all so familiar with (Brian leaning over the control desk, Brian's red velvet shirt, the Surf's Up piano performance, The Smile tape racks) brought to vivid, animated life! And the music!! The studio sections are wonderful and both my friend (moderate fan but big fan of Pet Sounds) and I were nodding in awe as those breathtaking melodies took shape on the screen.

So my advice to anyone approaching this movie expecting to see their Brian Wilson reproduced perfectly on screen, it may be worth dumping those expectations in the foyer and trying to appreciate each portrayal of BW more on its own terms.

Ironically, I found Cusack's lack of resemblance to Wilson made it much easier to accept him as the 80s incarnation. I could tune in to the performance itself much easier than with Dano, and Cusack's performance is fantastic. I thought Elizabeth Banks was also excellent in these sections of the film. Paul Giamatti did veer a little too close to cartoon villain at times (I cringed when he screamed "Or else!" at Brian)  but I think with this type of biopic subtlety is inevitably sacrificed at times to forward the story.

Despite my few minor criticisms, I found myself emotionally very involved in the story and the actors managed to create versions of Wilson that were believable characters in their own right, rather than just exercises in capturing likeness.

Finally, when cast shots were originally released I made some slightly idiotic posts about how the actor playing VDP had swooshy boy band hair and that this may potentially torpedo the movie for me. In retrospect I think I was overegging things a bit. Anyway, it's a moot point now  because I was relieved to see the VDP character's hair was absolutely fine and in keeping with other period details. I LOVED the smile sections of the film - The closest I will get to climbing inside a time machine and stalking Brian and the Vosse Posse c.1966!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2015, 01:32:39 PM »

A truly wonderful film.  I didn't go in expecting my Brian on the screen.  I'm not sure I have one.  But then in my sceptical view, what I expected was impersonations that feel faintly ridiculous all the way through, which is what tends to happen with the biopics I've seen (I'm Not There, included).  But that wasn't how this came across.  It was full-blooded inhabiting of the characters.  Terrifically compelling.  Cusack, I think, had a much harder job, but pulled it off well.

The session scenes and attention to detail was a fan's dream.  I agree it needs to be seen at the cinema, particularly for the soundtrack.  Unless you have a large telly with surround sound (many do, I suppose, though not I), it's going to lose an awful lot on DVD.

Note to Londoners - if you want a big screen, the Barbican's showing it in their Screen 1.  I've had trouble finding it in other places where it's not in screen 4 or 6 or something.

If the film was meant to be sort of triumphant at the end, I'm not sure they pulled it off.  But maybe that's not quite what they were aiming at.  Or perhaps it simply can't be pulled off.  It didn't feel like a huge triumph, really because although Landy was gone, Brian was still far from well and at the end he's still much the same, or at least you don't feel a real inherent difference.  On the whole, I thought it was a profoundly moving downer.  The breakdown was played and depicted so well, with all filmic elements playing their part to convey it.  Afterwards, I didn't feel like listening to Pet Sounds, or Smile.  I felt like listening to Friends, particularly, or to Smiley Smile.  I've often puzzled over the albums that followed the collapse of Smile, but after the film, I felt like I understood those albums of retreat and healing and peacefulness a little better, and like they've grown a little deeper.

Going again tomorrow.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2015, 01:54:36 PM »

LOL

But my man will drive while your man takes the bus, and by the time your man gets there my man will have had his satisfaction and be long gone. Wink

LOL LOL LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2015, 12:27:33 PM »

I still haven't managed to see the film yet as no cinema near me is showing it. Poor.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx