gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 10:57:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 320952 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 04, 2012, 06:54:26 PM »

Despite massively wanting to hear Wouldn't it be nice to live again, and pretty much every recorded note of Dennis material that exists, I'd almost equally love to hear clean versions of some of the boot stuff we all know and love. Carry Me Home/Sherry She Needs Me/Stevie rate up there with the best Beach Boys music, and they are only known from hissy sounding roughs.

RE: I've got a friend, isn't the Luxembourg version from a radio broadcast? Has anyone tried to track down the source tape? Would be amazing to hear a clear version of this song.

Personally I can do without ANY updated mixes of material the Beach Boys put out in the sixties/seventies, and I'd much rather see live/unreleased stuff come out

Stereo isn't what a Brian Wilson produced record is about. The Beach Boys sixties work was perfect the way it was. I have often been called a heathen for this view, glad someone else agrees with me.

Absolutely.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 04, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »

I prefer mixes that sound good to me. Some are in mono, some are in stereo. Some mono mixes sound like ass, some stereo mixes sound like ass.

imo.

Dat.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #252 on: September 05, 2012, 12:03:01 AM »

Despite massively wanting to hear Wouldn't it be nice to live again, and pretty much every recorded note of Dennis material that exists, I'd almost equally love to hear clean versions of some of the boot stuff we all know and love. Carry Me Home/Sherry She Needs Me/Stevie rate up there with the best Beach Boys music, and they are only known from hissy sounding roughs.

RE: I've got a friend, isn't the Luxembourg version from a radio broadcast? Has anyone tried to track down the source tape? Would be amazing to hear a clear version of this song.

Personally I can do without ANY updated mixes of material the Beach Boys put out in the sixties/seventies, and I'd much rather see live/unreleased stuff come out

Agreed! It'd be nice if - amongst all the clamour to release WIBNTLA - they also remembered to include Carry Me Home as well, another Dennis masterpiece. Shocking that songs of this quality are still languishing in the vaults. How about giving us BOTH, if that's not too much to ask? (I can quite easily picture certain band members poo-pooing Carry Me Home's inclusion however - ''The Beach Boys are supposed to be a fun band, this isn't what we're about, this isn't what people want, etc etc''.)
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 05, 2012, 12:03:41 AM »

Nothing against proper remixes, as long as the original mixes are still available somewhere. But if some some (any!) unreleased studio tracks are dropper from the box set to make room for remixes and backing tracks, I see red! I want it all, from WIBNTLA to Battle Hymn, from Everybody Wants To Live to Cocaine Sessions!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 05, 2012, 01:52:36 AM »

Nothing against proper remixes, as long as the original mixes are still available somewhere. But if some some (any!) unreleased studio tracks are dropper from the box set to make room for remixes and backing tracks, I see red! I want it all, from WIBNTLA to Battle Hymn, from Everybody Wants To Live to Cocaine Sessions!

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that the box will contain unreleased material along with hits? I would not care if a new live version or remix of California Girls ever happened, I'm dead tired of that song and the fact that it and others in its vein must be included everywhere.
Made In California should be about what you say: unreleased songs and live cuts, and those live cuts should be songs they performed rarely or only at a certain point. I dont care if Little Deuce Coupe live is from 1974, I fking hate it when placed next to their contemporary output. Leave the early hits off this box IMO!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 05, 2012, 02:24:31 AM »

I think The Beach Boys should follow The Doors and the Hendrix estate, and form a "record company" that releases nothing but 100% unreleased material.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 05, 2012, 02:32:24 AM »

They're not gonna back down from including hits. It just ain't gonna happen, at this point. I have to agree, though. I cannot imagine being a collector when it comes to this band, and I'm puzzled by Capitol's endless hits regurgitations released year after year. No one needs a 23rd "remastered" version of "Surfin' USA", y'know? 50 Big Ones still somehow doesn't feel especially definitive to me even though the tracklist is okay (but not great).

If anything, I hope some of said hits at least include the occasional remix. I know it's blasphemy, but some of these vintage mixes just don't serve the songs well. I'm thinking less of their mid 60s stuff which usually sees stereo remixes and more of some songs from the 70s or 80s that lose something due to flat mixes that don't really serve the song well. I'm not looking for super modern mixes or anything of the sort, just something that does the song a little more justice. Think "Keepin' The Summer Alive" or something. It's not 1965 Brian Wilson jaw-on-the-floor incredible, but it's good and enjoyable enough. I hear Carl's vocal and there's still this sense of "I'm still young, I still have plenty to prove, I'm still vital", but the end result downplays that a great deal. It's a rock song, and unfortunately, the mix doesn't "rock" at all and doesn't serve the song well. Keep the original in circulation, on the album, but would I mind a remix of such a song? f*** naw, d00d. More organic mixes of something like "Getcha Back"? Sounds good to me. I know it's total blasphemy, but I wouldn't mind such remixes at all.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: September 05, 2012, 02:54:36 AM »

More organic mixes of something like "Getcha Back"? Sounds good to me. I know it's total blasphemy, but I wouldn't mind such remixes at all.

An acapella mix or stripped down version of Getcha Back would be awesome.  Virtually any remix that stripped away the 80's production of BB85 and later material would be awesome.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 05, 2012, 04:06:28 AM »

More organic mixes of something like "Getcha Back"? Sounds good to me. I know it's total blasphemy, but I wouldn't mind such remixes at all.

An acapella mix or stripped down version of Getcha Back would be awesome.  Virtually any remix that stripped away the 80's production of BB85 and later material would be awesome.

That project would be amazing.
Look at double fantasy!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 05, 2012, 04:11:00 AM »

The thing with that is that, unlike Double Fantasy, I don't think there's a lot of acoustic or non-synthesised sound on BB's 85. All the drums sound like machines, synths carry a lot of the action, not too many guitars....

That said, if they did a remix of 'It's Gettin' Late', I'd be on it like sonic.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 05, 2012, 04:28:04 AM »

Look at double fantasy!

I'd have more confidence in the ability of anyone in The Beach Boys organisation to do a good job of this, had I not just heard their idea of a radio friendly version of 'Isn't it Time', because that's straight up worse than any BB production from the eightes.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 05, 2012, 02:45:08 PM »

The thing with that is that, unlike Double Fantasy, I don't think there's a lot of acoustic or non-synthesised sound on BB's 85. All the drums sound like machines, synths carry a lot of the action, not too many guitars....

That said, if they did a remix of 'It's Gettin' Late', I'd be on it like sonic.

Sonic. That's my childhood right there.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: September 05, 2012, 03:31:14 PM »

Look at double fantasy!

I'd have more confidence in the ability of anyone in The Beach Boys organisation to do a good job of this, had I not just heard their idea of a radio friendly version of 'Isn't it Time', because that's straight up worse than any BB production from the eightes.
Completely agreed.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 05, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »

Well heck, maybe the Beach Boys should just do an Unplugged album of only stuff that was recorded post- Holland. How's that sound?

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 05, 2012, 04:10:25 PM »

I'd pay for the session time.

smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 05, 2012, 08:54:13 PM »

All this talk of wanting stripped down versions of TBBs '85 confuses me.  Yes, the production is dated, but in some ways it's the only thing interesting about the album.  There isn't very much artistic merit in the songs themselves, but the clash between definitively '80s style production and the band's attempts to recreate their former sound is at least an interesting historical document if not a musical masterpiece.  But there's so little substance that if you stripped the songs down there would be nothing left.  The problem is lack of good songwriting much more than anything else.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 05, 2012, 09:43:15 PM »

True, but a fresh reworking of something from the album that's actually decent (i.e. "Getcha Back") with a simpler arrangement that aims to be a little more timeless wouldn't be the worst listening experience. I mean yeah, you'll still have Mike's "Maybeh treat u like a MOOOVIE STAR" sh*t, but it could be a cool listen. If it doesn't, hay, that's cool, too.

But keep Brian's '85 falsetto recording. Don't you dare give that to Jeff >: (

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 05, 2012, 09:50:06 PM »

True, but a fresh reworking of something from the album that's actually decent (i.e. "Getcha Back") with a simpler arrangement that aims to be a little more timeless wouldn't be the worst listening experience. I mean yeah, you'll still have Mike's "Maybeh treat u like a MOOOVIE STAR" sh*t, but it could be a cool listen. If it doesn't, hay, that's cool, too.

But keep Brian's '85 falsetto recording. Don't you dare give that to Jeff >: (
Brian's 1985 falsetto is one of his last classic vocals. Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: September 05, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »

Getcha Back is the worst song on that album! you guys probably  just like it because of its attempts to sound like a classic song. you fell for the nostalgia formula hook, line and sinker!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 05, 2012, 09:55:05 PM »

you fell for the nostalgia formula hook, line and sinker!

AH FUCK

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 05, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »

Getcha Back is the only good song on that album.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 05, 2012, 10:12:35 PM »

I agree.  Even if it's not that good a song, it's the best song on the album.  I hate that album.  It's hands down the worst album the boys made with Brian.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 05, 2012, 11:53:22 PM »

Come on, "maybe I don't know" is fantastic  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 05, 2012, 11:56:27 PM »

Umm...  Where I Belong?Huh?!!!!!  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
MBE
« Reply #274 on: September 06, 2012, 12:16:15 AM »

I agree.  Even if it's not that good a song, it's the best song on the album.  I hate that album.  It's hands down the worst album the boys made with Brian.
I agree I only play the 45 of Getcha Back/Male Ego.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx