gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680908 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 12:07:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson / Radiohead  (Read 2550 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2006, 08:03:32 PM »

The song "Dreamer" on Pacific Ocean Blue in its instrumental break sounds very much like what Radiohead did years later with "The National Anthem" on their Kid A album. The wild horn section just drifting around wildly and without restraint. Now there's probably been tons of similar free style playing within structured songs; but my ignorance of such things leads me to think it to be a nice coincidence or direct inspiration.

Any thoughts?

"Rainbows" also reminds me of something R.E.M would do.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
halleluwah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 11:07:25 PM »

Ian'll bitch slap you if he sees these comparisons you just made.

I'm down with it, though.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 08:35:09 AM »

Similar style, but it's hardly as if Dennis invented it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
halleluwah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 02:37:49 PM »

Yeah.  Radiohead claimed the horns on National Anthem were inspired mainly by Charles Mingus, if I recall correctly.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 12:06:20 PM »

Ah, c'mon! Just admit that Radiohead stole from Dennis! LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 12:09:47 PM »

"Rainbows" also reminds me of something R.E.M would do.

There's a song by The Charlatans (can't remember which one) which I'm sure lifts the man melody of rainbows. Anyone know the song I'm thinking of?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 01:52:29 PM »

Ive said this forever and a day ago.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 04:06:01 PM »

I always thought the horns in "The National Anthem" were supposed to sound like a traffic jam at the part where they go wild. Fits in with Radiohead's constant references to cars.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 06:58:30 PM »

Those horns are New Orleans jazz, goes way back before Mingus (though his 'Better Git Hit In Yo' Soul' is sublime'), probably before recorded music. Back before jazz was even called "jazz". Check out King Oliver or (very) early Louis Armstrong for recorded examples. Or watch Ken Burns' Jazz series.

I know the Charlatans song you mean, I think it's on 'Us and Us Only'. Dennis Wilson was one of a number of musicians/bands they ripped off on that album.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx