gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680953 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 10:22:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A bunch of us SmileySmilers recorded a cover of Add Some Music. Take a listen!  (Read 12706 times)
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 05:15:49 PM »

Id love to do a cover with some smiley smilers! Mesaage me  Grin

TopCat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 12:15:53 AM »

Simply glorious! Superb harmony and vocal overlay. You guys are genuinely gifted.
egon spengler
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 07:32:53 AM »

We're getting the ball rolling over on the Musicians' Forum: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13804.0.html

I want to also thank Mr. Spengler for his role in all of this. Besides doing the essential (sometimes grinding) tasks of producing and performing, he also provided all the vocal charts (transcribed by ear, is that right?) and early mixes we needed to blend our parts, both of which were completely indispensable. Some excellent coordination and production was a big key in making this work.

Couldn't agree more. I can't imagine trying to set all this up....figuring out who should sing what, etc. I'm grateful to have been asked to be apart of it! It really turned out great.

Thanks again to everyone who listened!

Many thanks for the props guys, but all the charts and mixing in the world wouldn't have mattered without your tremendous vocals and attention to detail. This could have fallen apart very easily, but you all just hit it out of the ballpark from the start.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 12:01:05 PM »

Amazing!
egon spengler
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »

Wow! That was something! What a creative idea to sing together but live in different continents! The vocals are just amazing!!! I like all of them! I'll even say that "Bruce" vocals are far better than on the BBs original. Also, the guitar sounds very beautiful, it resembles a bit harpsichord. I noticed that you didn't change the key, right? It's good that you all slightly changed the musical phrasings of the BBs vocals, not just copied note-for-note but added your own styles.

Honestly, your joyful cover really made my day! I'll definitely choose it as a ringtone to my cellphone & shall look forward to another songs/covers from you, folks! You're all very talented! Now I must say I give your work 10 out of 10.

Btw, ASMTYD is in my Top-10 of The Beach Boys catalog.  

I've admired the crazy talented folks over on the "Smiley Smilers Who Make Music" board for years, so I asked six of them to collaborate on a cover of Add Some Music To Your Day.  They all were awesome enough to help out, so we split the leads and background vocals up betwen the seven of us (seltaeb1012002, Austin, rab2591, me, dmcguire70, JMZ, and FatherOfTheMan).  They each recorded their parts separately (from three continents!), and I pieced them together on my end. The result is pretty spectacular.. check out the "full band" version (followed by an acapella version) here:

http://youtu.be/HaZNgwmLuRI  (keep the annotations on to see who sang and played what)

You can download mp3 versions here, if you're so inclined: http://soundcloud.com/adwolf16/sets 

Egon, I just have to say....

Hearing this song, this song above all others, done so lovingly, and SO VERY expertly, well it's just enough to bring tears to my eyes.  It's simply marvelous.  I've listened 3 times already.

Well, of course you did much more than "justice" to all the parts.  All the the parts are splendid.  It's simply glorious in every way.

You're going to need to consider a commercial market for this, maybe?  ITunes or CDBaby?

Thanks for providing the tags to show who sang what part.

I look forward to your progress on the other thread.  A friend of mine and I are trying something similar, but we've not gotten too far.

NICELY done!  WOW!  This made my day!

-- David

thanks to you both (and everyone else!) for all the great feedback and praise.. I've said it before, but seltaeb, Austin, rab, dmcguire, Mike, and JMZ deserve as much credit as anyone--never in a million years could this have been done without them!
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2012, 02:06:19 AM »

Me too! Smiley

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 07:18:02 AM »

I know----this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days, haha.

I just heard this on YouTube. I'm not a member so I shall thank Zach and company here instead. And I've linked it at "my" board. This has to be one of the best BB covers ever.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2015, 08:16:48 AM »

Wonderful stuff guys. dmcguire70 should apply for a job in Brian's band, he nails the classic Brian falsetto!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2015, 08:45:24 AM »

Now, I seldom comment on this kind of thing because it's equally seldom that I like what I'm listening to. But this... this is stunningly good, and not just vocally. A large bowl of kudos to share around.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2015, 09:25:32 AM »

Excellent cover guys! The vocal and mix is awesome, well done! Smiley
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2015, 09:37:09 AM »

Awesome sounds great.  Just got a new pair of head phones and really haven't had a chance to break them out. <amazing what a good pair of neutral  headphones do>
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2015, 09:44:46 AM »

As I have been a member here for less than a year...THIS is brand spankin' NEW to me.  Outstandingly GrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrREAT.  I can now lay claim to having one of the coolist user-names here...thanks in A B I G way to these guys.

I only wish there was more.  Way impressive. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2015, 09:52:15 AM »

Great job guys! Any chance you could cover Wrinkles next?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2015, 10:02:20 AM »

As I have been a member here for less than a year...THIS is brand spankin' NEW to me. 

Exactly----a prime example of why it can pay to dig up old threads. Long live the old threads! 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2015, 03:46:23 PM »

Meet the new thread/Same as the old thread.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2015, 10:46:54 PM »

Absolutely superb. Heartwarming too. Anyone posted it to Mike's FB, Brian's board etc. yet? The guys need to hear this.

And please count me in for next time around too. Doubly so if you go for Elsewhere Near Japan.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2015, 03:29:48 AM »

I only wish there was more.  Way impressive. Cool Guy

Your wish has come true... Grin

Here is the full list so far

Add Some Music To Your Day - http://youtu.be/HaZNgwmLuRI
All This Is That - http://youtu.be/O8XMD3e95BQ
Little Bird - http://youtu.be/kEqmj9Q0N6s
I Went To Sleep - http://youtu.be/uddn2XQiKG8
Let the Wind Blow - http://youtu.be/aPVbBwkRhm0