gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680893 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 03, 2024, 05:18:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is "Tiny Dancer" a partial rip-off of "River Song"?  (Read 2813 times)
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2006, 09:19:36 AM »

The first time I ever heard "River Song" (which I truly love) I was immediately struck by the similarity between its piano opening and that of Elton John's "Tiny Dancer."  Since the latter came out in 1971 and POB in 1977, my assumption was that Dennis had "borrowed" or been inspired by the Elton John recording.  Then I recently read that Dennis had completed the "River Song" opening in 1970, which made me wonder -- did the ripping-off go in the other direction?  Elton John hung out and toured some with the Beach Boys in the early 70s, didn't he?  Does anyone know anything about this?

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 09:28:47 AM »

I think it was more like 1972 or so when Dennis did the first part of River Song, but I could be wrong.
forgetemarie
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 05:04:07 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me.  John's "Daniel" sounds a lot like, of all things, Paul Anka's "You're Having My Baby," right down to the mellotron sound.  If he's steal from a bad Paul Anka song, I'm sure he might be inspired by Dennis.
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 07:09:27 PM »

I think it was more like 1972 or so when Dennis did the first part of River Song, but I could be wrong.

My source for the 1970 date is Andrew G. Doe, who says "The opening piano riff, representing the flow of the river, dates back to the 1970 sessions."  http://www.angelfire.com/la/Beachboysbritain/AGDPOB.html

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 08:00:17 AM »

My source for the 1970 date is Andrew G. Doe, who says "The opening piano riff, representing the flow of the river, dates back to the 1970 sessions."  http://www.angelfire.com/la/Beachboysbritain/AGDPOB.html

Correct - it was part of a longer piece called "Ecology". The piano riff definitely pre-dated "Tiny Dancer". That said, I think the similarity is purely coincidental.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx