gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681076 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 08:05:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob Dylan  (Read 9891 times)
MBE
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2013, 01:20:17 AM »

Roll On John is one of my favorite Dylan songs. Not just because it's about John Lennon, but because it has a great melody. "Docta', docta' tell me the time of day" is also one of the best opening lines to any song ever. 

Maybe I would like it if it were shorter, but I love Sad Eyes Lady or Highlands and they are long. Just didn't click with me for whatever reason. Tempest has some good stuff though.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 07:28:21 AM »

Dylan is the only classic/legendary rock guy who I could go see, and if he only played stuff from 97 onward, I'd be actually MORE happy than if he didn't....He's had the best band of his career since Love & Theft: therefore seeing Dylan now is more like seeing an honest to God band....

Then you would enjoy Dylan's setlists from the last 9-10 years. Most of the songs he performs are from the post-1997, and the "oldies" have been aces like "Like A Rolling Stone", "Tangled Up In Blue", "Blowin' In The Wind", "All Along The Watchtower", "Ballad Of A Thin Man", and "Highway 61 Revisited". He usually performs about 15-16 songs, 10 "newer" and 5-6 classics.

Interestingly, Bob's had the same band for years now, with the exception of the lead guitar player. Denny Freeman was in the band for a couple of years in the mid/late-2000's, then Charlie Sexton replaced him for a few tours; in 2013 Duke Robillard replaced Charlie, but, for reasons that haven't come out yet, Duke was replaced last month by Colin Linden.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2013, 11:04:30 AM »

I've read some reviews through the ensuing years, many criticizing the album. But, you know what? I kind of enjoyed it. First, some of the songs are pretty strong, particularly Side B which includes "Trust Yourself", "Emotionally Yours", "When The Night Comes Falling", and "Dark Eyes".

New Order's remixer was not the best choice for producer, but some of the tracks still come off well. If anything, "Dark Eyes" is one of the best songs Dylan ever wrote and I'm glad they kept a straight acoustic rendering for the album instead of piling on the drum machines and synths.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2013, 01:54:42 PM »

Dylan is the only classic/legendary rock guy who I could go see, and if he only played stuff from 97 onward, I'd be actually MORE happy than if he didn't....He's had the best band of his career since Love & Theft: therefore seeing Dylan now is more like seeing an honest to God band....

Then you would enjoy Dylan's setlists from the last 9-10 years. Most of the songs he performs are from the post-1997, and the "oldies" have been aces like "Like A Rolling Stone", "Tangled Up In Blue", "Blowin' In The Wind", "All Along The Watchtower", "Ballad Of A Thin Man", and "Highway 61 Revisited". He usually performs about 15-16 songs, 10 "newer" and 5-6 classics.

Interestingly, Bob's had the same band for years now, with the exception of the lead guitar player. Denny Freeman was in the band for a couple of years in the mid/late-2000's, then Charlie Sexton replaced him for a few tours; in 2013 Duke Robillard replaced Charlie, but, for reasons that haven't come out yet, Duke was replaced last month by Colin Linden.

Hell yes!

Hasn't Dylan basically only had 2 drummers (David Kemper/George Recili) this whole time as well? Something of a record for Bob.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx