gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680995 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 05:08:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rights to Unreleased Session Work  (Read 1998 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2010, 11:15:44 AM »

While listening to Postcard's "Don't Fight the Sea" again, I was wondering about how rights to unreleased recordings work, specifically in the Beach Boys environment. Is there any generally true way to characterize them, or does it vary significantly situation to situation? Is it based on who was bankrolling the various sessions? Would DFTS have been Al's all along, or did he have to purchase or license it now? Thanks.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 11:27:20 AM »

I've recalled hearing that whoever was the prime mover behind the session creatively tends to have say over the material.

Thus, Brian can scotch any Smile sessions release, even though Capitol and the rest of the band would probably love dearly to have it out.

But specifically with Al, I don't know. I think everyone's a little curious about how he pulled that album off ...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 11:59:52 AM »

Basically, whoever paid for the session owns the rights to those tapes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 12:03:32 PM »

Often thought about this, specifically — and you know what's coming — SMiLE ... should Brian himself (i.e. Melinda police ) EVER wish to put out (and not that he would...) a SMiLE Sessions project/CD/Box, could he release it as a "Brian Wilson Production..." without the say of the other BBs? It wasn't a Brother project, and the songs were largely Brian and Van Dyke's. Bet this has been covered before.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 12:10:35 PM »

That's more or less what I was guessing. But then if the funder/tape-owner happens to be under contract at the time of the sessions, then releases those tapes later while not under contract, I'd think complications could arise. For example, say said funder happened to be a Beach Boy under (presumably exclusive?) contract to Caribou/CBS, and then just happened to be an obsessive tinkerer to the point of releasing those tapes 25 years later when no longer under contract. Wouldn't his Beach Boy contract--assuming it was exclusive--come into play even though he was long-since free of labels?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 12:30:23 PM »

Often thought about this, specifically — and you know what's coming — SMiLE ... should Brian himself (i.e. Melinda police ) EVER wish to put out (and not that he would...) a SMiLE Sessions project/CD/Box, could he release it as a "Brian Wilson Production..." without the say of the other BBs? It wasn't a Brother project, and the songs were largely Brian and Van Dyke's. Bet this has been covered before.

They could certainly put a Smile Sessions box out, and as produced by Brian Wilson, just as soon as they agreed leasing terms from Capitol, who own the tapes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 10:24:03 AM »

They could certainly put a Smile Sessions box out, and as produced by Brian Wilson, just as soon as they agreed leasing terms from Capitol, who own the tapes.

...but to Willy's point, I think it would still have to be released as a "Beach Boys" product, since Capitol's funding of the original sessions was from the Beach Boys recording budget allocated per their contract.  They could (and I'm sure would) add the tagline "Produced by Brian Wilson" in big bold lettering, ala the "Pet Sounds" box set, to satisfy the BW camp.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »

So Brian paid for the "Soul Searchin'" sessions that ended-up on GIOMH?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 10:42:26 AM »

The Wilson/Paley sessions were completely self-funded by BW.  That's where the backing track originates from.  Carl's vocal comes from an official Beach Boys session...not sure how the politics there shook out, other than I know Carl's estate had to grant permission...but perhaps that was via their one-fourth ownership of BRI?
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 11:43:15 PM »

The Wilson/Paley sessions were completely self-funded by BW.  That's where the backing track originates from.  Carl's vocal comes from an official Beach Boys session...not sure how the politics there shook out, other than I know Carl's estate had to grant permission...but perhaps that was via their one-fourth ownership of BRI?

Hopefully permission will someday be granted to put out the original version of this song; the one with the superior Beach Boys vocals. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 04:26:32 AM »

Hopefully permission will someday be granted to put out the original version of this song; the one with the superior Beach Boys vocals. 

I second that.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx