gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680930 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 10:19:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jardine challenges Love to battle of the bands in explosive interview...  (Read 53407 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #275 on: June 28, 2013, 07:03:22 AM »

Drugs are pretty much a red herring, at least in Brian's case, and certainly in the '60s. The man is mentally ill, probably from bipolar disorder, but likely with some other shadings (depressive and schizoaffective), and has been from a very young age. His problems began to manifest at the classic age for these things -- around 21-22 years old -- and worsened over the next few years, again as is typical. Drug or alcohol abuse is common for these folks, and often considered the problem by those around them, when it is in fact a method of self-medication. For someone like Brian, all of the "uppers" he took were likely a way to combat depressive episodes, or drive his manic state to productive new highs.

The drugs that truly damaged Brian were prescription, and were given to him by Landy in the late 80s and early 90s. Those threatened his life and health. Brian's general attitude now is, again, relatively typical of someone who is older and has somewhat "burned through" their mental illness, which tends to happen for some in their 60s. They no longer experience quite as severe highs or lows but have a somewhat "flat" affect. Let's put it this way: Brian's increased productivity and creativity maps almost exactly with that schedule -- he's been on a roll for the last decade or so. Proper medication clearly plays a role as well.

I totally agree with all of this. All the way through his supposed "lost period", say '72 - '82, he could still be lucid, witty and, well..... Brian Something drastic happened to him during the 2nd Landy tenure that changed him forever.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 28, 2013, 07:04:06 AM »

I find it unbelievable that a forum where people will argue over the smallest piece of information or opinions, will rip on AGD. You all ought to look in the mirror before calling someone else out.

Exactly.

On another note...

AGD - Is the attitude/nastiness really necessary?  It seems well established that you are knowledgeable and an insider.  What point are you trying to prove?  It's all to convenient to attack people on the internet....

He just needs a bit of air. It must be hard to breathe with one's head so far up Mike's...saxophone. Looking forward to his liner notes to the Legacy Edition of LOOKING BACK WITH LOVE.
Not really-the problem is too much air and all of it hot. And yes, the 'tude is his mojo. Real shame someone couldn't have corrected the problem in junior high school. Roll Eyes

That is a really over the line. Not cool.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 28, 2013, 07:09:33 AM »

Drugs are pretty much a red herring, at least in Brian's case, and certainly in the '60s. The man is mentally ill, probably from bipolar disorder, but likely with some other shadings (depressive and schizoaffective), and has been from a very young age. His problems began to manifest at the classic age for these things -- around 21-22 years old -- and worsened over the next few years, again as is typical. Drug or alcohol abuse is common for these folks, and often considered the problem by those around them, when it is in fact a method of self-medication. For someone like Brian, all of the "uppers" he took were likely a way to combat depressive episodes, or drive his manic state to productive new highs.

The drugs that truly damaged Brian were prescription, and were given to him by Landy in the late 80s and early 90s. Those threatened his life and health. Brian's general attitude now is, again, relatively typical of someone who is older and has somewhat "burned through" their mental illness, which tends to happen for some in their 60s. They no longer experience quite as severe highs or lows but have a somewhat "flat" affect. Let's put it this way: Brian's increased productivity and creativity maps almost exactly with that schedule -- he's been on a roll for the last decade or so. Proper medication clearly plays a role as well.

I totally agree with all of this. All the way through his supposed "lost period", say '72 - '82, he could still be lucid, witty and, well..... Brian Something drastic happened to him during the 2nd Landy tenure that changed him forever.

I also am a proponent of the stroke theory, which everyone close to Brian denies, but which wouldn't surprise me in the least. Because not only did Brian's behavior change, but it also seems like he literally forgot how to sing during the 80s.
MBE
« Reply #278 on: June 28, 2013, 07:22:29 AM »

I also am a proponent of the stroke theory, which everyone close to Brian denies, but which wouldn't surprise me in the least. Because not only did Brian's behavior change, but it also seems like he literally forgot how to sing during the 80s.
Though you and I disagree at times Wirestone, I am pretty convinced a stroke did indeed happen around 1985-86.
Nicko1234
« Reply #279 on: June 28, 2013, 07:51:09 AM »

Though you and I disagree at times Wirestone, I am pretty convinced a stroke did indeed happen around 1985-86.

Couldn't it just be because he was given so many of the wrong drugs?
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 28, 2013, 07:54:26 AM »

Having had the opportunity in my lifetime to work with some stroke patients on a regular basis I can't say you are entirely off the mark here.  The problem is why if indeed this is more than a theory has everyone denied it?  Having a stroke isn't necessarily something to be ashamed of and many actually are able to rebound from it pretty well.  I guess what I'm trying to say is you aren't off the mark for thinking this way but there are just too many questions surrounding such a theory for me to believe it to be anything else than just that at this point. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 28, 2013, 08:26:23 AM »

I suspect Landy thought it would reflect poorly on his care, especially if he had BW on some crazy cocktail of meds at the time. By the time BW got free in the early 90s, it may have been too late for his family to establish for certain what had happened.
Nicko1234
« Reply #282 on: June 28, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »

I suspect Landy thought it would reflect poorly on his care, especially if he had BW on some crazy cocktail of meds at the time. By the time BW got free in the early 90s, it may have been too late for his family to establish for certain what had happened.

And yet you've managed to?  Wink
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 28, 2013, 08:47:47 AM »

I, too, have wondered about a stroke and thought it might be a possibility. But, I always come to this conclusion which makes me think otherwise. Brian has been dating/married to Melinda for almost 20 years. During that time, with Melinda's initiative, Brian has been receiving excellent care, both with his doctors and prescribed medication. But, as part of that care, I would think that Brian underwent his share of testing, including at least one MRI and CAT scan on his brain. Those tests (and others) would show the effects of a stroke.

Like JohnMill expressed, a stroke is not something to be denied or ashamed of, especially in Melinda's case, as she has spoken openly about Brian's mental illness - which, unfortunately, has a more negative stigma attached to it. I would think if Brian had a stroke, it would've been diagnosed, would've "come out" somehow, and Melinda - or Brian with Melinda's encouragement - might've addressed in an interview.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: June 28, 2013, 09:10:07 AM »

Remind me to tell you guys about my theory that Mike developed hemorrhoids in 1978.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 28, 2013, 09:16:48 AM »

And yet you've managed to?  Wink

Touche!
MBE
« Reply #286 on: June 28, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »

I was told a story by a few different sources that I can't prove so I won't print. Here all I will say is that it seems it happened during a plastic surgery to fix a check bone Murry had crushed.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: June 28, 2013, 09:39:40 AM »

EDIT: Oh, never mind. As you were, teen gang.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:45:09 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
MBE
« Reply #288 on: June 28, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »

Hey I saw that crap and here is my response. You try to be honest and give real info with the caveat that it isn't something provable enough to print and it is twisted into something more than that? Why don't people like yourself spend the personal and professional time authors invest to try to get the truth out there. I am not stating a fact, merely a story I was told. Why I don't name names? Because if I am not trusted to keep my private sources private then I can't get the truth in the future. I am trying to air a story that may piece together a few things for people. Maybe even for the Wilson's today who likely were not told what Landy put Brian through.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: June 28, 2013, 10:07:07 AM »

Oh, ok. It's a noble crusade to HELP the Wilsons. I see.

I do spend plenty of time interviewing people, making documentaries, and publishing books nobody reads. You'll find that's not exactly a rarity around here, you could hit an author by striking out in any direction! But thanks for the interest and journalism lesson, scoop. Pardon me if it seems not exactly backed up by anything tangible. You'll find people are more prone to be credible when you provide facts and sources instead of hinting, rumormongering, and getting on your high Woodward/Bernstein horse.

I thought your research was about the MUSIC, man. None of this gossip stuff that ruins so many other books. What gives?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:14:40 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 28, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »

I was told a story by a few different sources that I can't prove so I won't print. Here all I will say is that it seems it happened during a plastic surgery to fix a check bone Murry had crushed.

Interesting. Can you tell us what year this surgery occurred?
MBE
« Reply #291 on: June 28, 2013, 10:13:24 AM »

I do spend plenty of time interviewing people, making documentaries, and publishing books nobody reads. Thanks for the interest and journalism lesson, scoop.
Proud of you PAL keep going! Anyhow it is not intended by me to help, or hurt, that is your view of it. I am adding to the discussion by saying that Brian may have indeed had a stroke and that I heard a story I could not confirm with any of the principles. Not saying it is true, just that it is a story that has been put forth as the truth several times.
MBE
« Reply #292 on: June 28, 2013, 10:15:14 AM »

I think it happened sometime in 1985 or 1986. There is a Paul McCartney doc Brian took part in shot in the summer of 1986. His mouth is very droopy.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: June 28, 2013, 10:17:03 AM »

Alright, sorry for exploding violently. But you could see how someone would take a statement like that, hmm?

About the droop: he's had that since childhood tho! Tends to be more pronounced the more insecure he is. I'm sure there are threads about it.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 28, 2013, 10:17:37 AM »

I do spend plenty of time interviewing people, making documentaries, and publishing books nobody reads. Thanks for the interest and journalism lesson, scoop. Pardon me if it seems not exactly backed up by anything tangible. You'll find people are more prone to be credible when you provide facts and sources instead of hinting, rumormongering, and getting on your high Woodward/Bernstein horse.

I thought your research was about the MUSIC, man. None of this gossip stuff that ruins so many other books. What gives?
Stop being an ass and accept Mike's explanation. Never heard of source confidentiality? Brian is MUSIC, of course he is going to hear stories about the man, as well as his music. Grow Up!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 28, 2013, 10:19:27 AM »

I think it happened sometime in 1985 or 1986. There is a Paul McCartney doc Brian took part in shot in the summer of 1986. His mouth is very droopy.

Thanks for the info Mike.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: June 28, 2013, 10:19:48 AM »

Stop being an ass and accept Mike's explanation. Never heard of source confidentiality? Brian is MUSIC, of course he is going to hear stories about the man, as well as his music. Grow Up!

Should I apologize a second time, daddy? Do me a favor and

The stroke rumors have been circulating at least since I got online in the mid 90s tho, and you're going to need more than "his mouth is droopy" to make that one work. I can find people that would spread that rumor too, but what is it based on?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:28:12 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 28, 2013, 10:22:45 AM »

Should I apologize a second time, daddy?

The stroke rumors have been circulating at least since I got online in the mid 90s tho, and you're going to need more than "his mouth is droopy" to make that one work. I can find people that would spread that rumor too, but what is it based on?
Wrote it while you were in the midst of apologizing, Son. Good Boy, Ubu! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: June 28, 2013, 10:25:26 AM »

I promise i'll mow that lawn this weekend!

It's hard not to theorize tho, huh. It's hard not to think... SOMETHING HAPPENED. I think I'm just defensive after being around my grandmother a decade ago after a series of strokes over a few years and it was not a matter of droopy mouth, slur some words and look kinda babyish behind a keyboard time. Heh.

Did records ever emerge during the 2nd Landy hooha over what the actual drug diet consisted of? I've just read the bits in the bios.

Also, I heard Al Jardine is talkin' trash in an interview and actin' all tough. Somebody better have a word.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:31:32 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 28, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »

I promise i'll mow that lawn this weekend!

It's hard not to theorize tho, huh. It's hard not to think... SOMETHING HAPPENED. I think I'm just defensive after being around my grandmother a decade ago after a series of strokes over a few years and it was not a matter of droopy mouth, slur some words and look kinda babyish behind a keyboard time. Heh.
I always believed that he may have had a slight stroke, but I also understood that the meds Landy had him on was a cocktail that could do more harm than good, and almost did. I never worried about him talking out of the side of his mouth, as after seeing his mother talk like that, and even Brian doing it very early in the first Landy era, I just took that as genetics.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,