gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 07:56:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 57965 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 19, 2010, 03:41:45 AM »

Harry Nilsson - A Little Touch Of Schmilsson in The Night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Zsjphc3RI

I love all these old songs, and Gordon Jenkins arranges them so they all flow together with little snippets inbetween - kind of like the Tin Pan Alley concept album!

Besides that, Band on the Run and Ram have been getting a lot of play, as well as just loads of Nilsson. Nilsson Sings Newman might be the greatest album ever made.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 26, 2010, 03:48:50 PM »

Prince's 20Ten atm. Good call on Nilsson Sings Newman, too. I don't call it the best album ever made, but it's really fantastic.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2010, 07:58:40 AM »

Perhaps a little too much hyperbole on my part, but there is literally one thing wrong with it (the harpsichord on Cowboy is a little too shrill). I also can't think of another album i can play multiple times in a row, whatever that counts for. I mean, the entire thing is perfect at what it's doing.

Hows that Prince? I can't keep up with what he's releasing nowadays....  last thing i got was the decidedly average Planet Earth

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2010, 08:13:07 AM »

I mean, the entire thing is perfect at what it's doing.
Absolutely true. It is a gorgeous, gorgeous album. And when I said I don't agree it isn't the best album, I meant just that literally, without sarcasm or cynicism implied: it's in the conversation for me pretty quickly after "best" album. Maybe in the 5th to 10th range. I love it.[/quote]
Hows that Prince? I can't keep up with what he's releasing nowadays....  last thing i got was the decidedly average Planet Earth
I think of Prince in this regard similarly to an Elvis Costello, Frank Zappa, Paul McCartney, Eels, Fiery Furnaces, etc. He puts out a lot of music and it's the listener's problem to work it out from there (as opposed to releasing many truly great, no-filler albums). And this is right in line with that kind of thinking. There are three or four songs on there that I flat-out love, a couple I flat-out hate, and some stuff in the middle. The closer is truly bizarre, with the brilliant/idiotic line that I can only hope is a joke [and in that it's a hidden track, I assume it is]: "From the heart of Minnesota, here come the purple Yoda."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »

Haha, what an incredible line! So he's getting weirder on this one then? Planet Earth was SO bland, it depressed me. And I don't even know where to start with all this Lotus Flower stuff he did last year.... is it worth picking up?

Artists with huge back catalogues can be the most rewarding - I mean, look at the BB's. I'm currently starting to delve into Macca's 70's albums and am being pleasantly surprised with whatever £2 vinyl i can find at my local charity shops. my latest acqusition, Venus And Mars, is good, if slightly lightweight.

I'm guessing you're into your Nilsson then, Luther? Any other favourites?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2010, 05:51:51 PM »

Prince: you can find the songs that are worthwhile without buying the album. Macca: Don't miss Red Rose Speedway, as it's under-appreciated. Nilsson: Earlier the better.

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 08, 2010, 04:46:58 PM »

Mono version of Their Satanic Majesties Request. Which I think is at least 10 times better than the ham fisted stereo mix.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 08, 2010, 05:26:44 PM »

Bob Dylan's 'Oh Mercy' album. One of his best.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 08, 2010, 07:18:40 PM »

In the past year I've finally begun to be able to tolerate this album, but in terms of "one of his best," that only works for me if you finish the sentence with something like "half of his output" or "15-20 albums."

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 08, 2010, 08:07:19 PM »

In the past year I've finally begun to be able to tolerate this album, but in terms of "one of his best," that only works for me if you finish the sentence with something like "half of his output" or "15-20 albums."

To each his own. I love the production on the album, and songs like 'Shooting Star' and 'What Good Am I' are some of his best, imo. Granted, 'Disease of Conceit' is one of the worst Bob Dylan songs I've ever heard, so you may have a point  LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 09, 2010, 10:41:43 AM »

Anyone here into a group from the sixties called "13th Floor Elevators".?A friend recommended them recently and I must say their second album is probably my all time favourite psychedelic record now.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 09, 2010, 11:33:41 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xruN5wQK9s
Circulatory System, BB of the 21st century

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 09, 2010, 02:35:13 PM »

I think that's excessive praise. They're not even the Olivia Tremor Control of the 21st century...and they almost literally ARE the Olivia Tremor Control of the 21st century, give or take one Bill Doss. But they do have their moments.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 11, 2010, 02:09:53 AM »

Carpenters - Love Songs

PIL - Flowers of Romance

Merzbow - Japanese Birds Vol. 3
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 11, 2010, 07:12:58 AM »

Anyone here into a group from the sixties called "13th Floor Elevators".?A friend recommended them recently and I must say their second album is probably my all time favourite psychedelic record now.

I do love me some Elevators! Have you heard the new Roky Erickson album? A sweet collection of songs, backed up not too intrusively by Okkerill River

Right now, I am listening to 'Precise Modern Lovers Order', a live album by The Modern Lovers, and worrying about the mental state of Jonathan Richman.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 11, 2010, 10:49:48 AM »

I've gone in CD buying overdrive recently. In the last few weeks I have got

Moby Grape - Debut

Sagittarius - Present Tense

Hank Williams - As "Luke the Drifter"

Millennium - Begin

Terry Melcher - Debut

Rising Sons - Collection

Willie Nelson  -Red Headed Stranger

Electric Prunes - Underground

All on heavy rotation.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 11, 2010, 09:56:45 PM »

I think that's excessive praise. They're not even the Olivia Tremor Control of the 21st century...and they almost literally ARE the Olivia Tremor Control of the 21st century, give or take one Bill Doss. But they do have their moments.

The s/t is just so incredible it's like a majestic dream symphony. I like OTC a lot but neither OTC album has very good flow, and there are several tracks on each I'm not fond of. I also just outright dislike Will's sound collages, I'm so glad he moved beyond them on the s/t. It's not for everyone I guess but the s/t is an album I get totally lost in, I've loved it since the day it came out. It's my favorite album of the 21st century.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 12, 2010, 03:31:56 PM »

I was surprised how many reviews I came across with similar sentiments. To me, it was just more of the same, and I wasn't that thrilled with the OTC stuff to begin with. I don't see it as advancement or improvement at all. But I'm admittedly a pop-song guy, so I find little or no joy in little purportedly experimental or scenic interludes at all.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 13, 2010, 12:50:05 AM »

I was surprised how many reviews I came across with similar sentiments. To me, it was just more of the same, and I wasn't that thrilled with the OTC stuff to begin with. I don't see it as advancement or improvement at all. But I'm admittedly a pop-song guy, so I find little or no joy in little purportedly experimental or scenic interludes at all.

No worries. I just love big sounding things, like Wagner, black metal, the Flaming Lips. I guess that's why I love Brian's production so much, I've always thought the Beatles production sounded really thin (no offense to them, The Beatles are great in their own way) and just get a big kick out of how lush and open it is, like a whole universe of music. The Circulatory System lp is just great like that.

Now I'm listening to this though, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2T2KmZdifE&feature=related
Something I think we can both agree on.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 13, 2010, 11:00:59 AM »

I'm listening to the first disk on that massive Creedance Clearwater Revival box for the first time, when they went under the names The Blue Velvets and later The Golliwogs and it's fascinating to hear over the course of 25 tracks them transform from utter garbage to the band that set the world on fire.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:29:04 PM by mikes beard » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 13, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »

Jonathan Richman's "I, Jonathan."

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 13, 2010, 03:40:59 PM »

Dude, I love Jonathan Richman. He is a goldmine on youtube, in case you didn't know.... check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r5NkEkaXHQ

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 14, 2010, 07:05:53 AM »

Stax-Volt Singles box set.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 14, 2010, 07:58:30 AM »

Of Montreal's Skeletal Lamping.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 16, 2010, 10:21:57 AM »

Les Paul boxset my friend lent me - good god, him and Mary Ford were fantastic! Just sticking it on shuffle and drowning in awesome guitars and harmonies.

Check it - An idiots guide to overdubbing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2FeKf7UUcQ

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx