gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 03:07:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anybody see the Sgt. Pepper's stuff on American Idol last week?  (Read 3368 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2007, 09:26:50 PM »

I don't know how many people here actually drudge through American Idol, but on their finale, they 'saluted' "Sgt. Pepper" as Ryan called it.  Anyways,

1. Kelly Clarkson & Steve Perry (Yeah, That Steve Perry) did "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" which largely had Kelly screaming too much and forgetting the words.  I like her, but she should have left that one alone.

2. Taylor Hicks doing a kind of Joe Cocker inspired version of "A Day In The Life", it too was a little overdone because Taylor was doing things like pointing to his brain when he said "He blew his mind out, .... in a Karrrrr" as if we couldn't figure out what the lyrics were referring to.  Kind of torturous to watch, I think i may have even fast forwarded this part.

3. Carrie Underwood singing "She's Leaving Home" and basically knocking it the hell out of the park.  I have never heard that sang like that, basically a beautiful woman singing a beautiful song in full voice.  The other Idol losers from this year sang the John lennon counterpart to the song, and it was all really quite good.  I'm a huge Beatles fan and this was a classy, well done cover of the song. 

4. Ruben Studdard singing "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", the verses were all pretty well done since he has a really nice alto? voice that sounded great.  The chorus was a little thin and he got lost in it a little bit but it was a pretty good performance.

5.  A whole bunch of people singing "A Little Help From My Friends".  Pretty much just a sing-a-long mess like most of the Idol medleys where they have 12 people all sing 1 song pretty poorly. 

Carrie Underwood stole the show though, that was a great performance. 
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 05:00:42 AM »

1. Kelly Clarkson & Steve Perry (Yeah, That Steve Perry) did "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" which largely had Kelly screaming too much and forgetting the words.  I like her, but she should have left that one alone.

Actually, it was Joe Perry from Aerosmith that played with Kelly and also, according to my roomate, with one of those other douchelords that lost earlier in the competition earlier in the evening.

I got home right as the Beatles medley was starting and it was painful to watch.  Unfortunately, my roomate had it on as he is obsessed with the show.  This just reminded me of why I don't watch.  I will agree that Carrie Underwood stole the show.  She was the only one that was even close to doing a good job.  It was a classy reading of the song even if the others doing John's counterpart almost ruined it.  The rest, classic cases of folks with no soul whatsoever stomping all over some of rock's classic songs.  Everyone on this show oversings everything and throws in the lame little hand gestures that somehow, at least they think, make them find the note.  A little subtlety never hurt anyone did it?  It still works even if nobody uses it.  Very pedestrian stuff.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 06:29:14 AM »

DOH! Sorry I got Joe's name wrong, lol.  You can tell I'm not as big of an Aerosmith fan as I am a Beatles fan.  Sorry. 
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 09:16:25 AM »

DOH! Sorry I got Joe's name wrong, lol.  You can tell I'm not as big of an Aerosmith fan as I am a Beatles fan.  Sorry. 
LOL, no worries.  I just didn't want people confusing Aerosmith with Journey! 

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx