gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680935 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 08:11:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Brian ever do any writing for Three Dog Night on the sly?  (Read 1228 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2014, 10:04:07 AM »

I've always wondered this. Brian and Danny Hutton always hung out. Marilyn would sometimes tell people they were writing songs together. There's this a weird story from Ray Kennedy about "Sail On Sailor": Danny Hutton, one of the original singers of Three Dog Night, called me in 1970 when I was singing with Jeff Beck and said, "Hey, we need a hit song." So I went over to his house, and Brian was there in a little room with a piano and they stuck me in that room with Brian. We were there for three days and ended up writing "Sail on Sailor," which was originally intended for Three Dog. We went in and cut the basic tracks with Three Dog Night; we hadn't slept in about a week. Then Brian got up with a razor blade and cut the tapes and said, "Only Ray Kennedy or Van Dyke Parks can do this song." And he left. We all stood there looking at each other going, "What?"

And we know all about the Redwood project, and how the other BBs purportedly disapproved of it.

To me, I find it tough to imagine that Brian never helped Danny out with some chords or a melody. It almost sounds improbable to suggest it never happened. I can just see Brian in my head agreeing to work on a chord sequence in exchange for a big mountain of cocaine. But who knows? Any rumors or hard evidence that Brian helped out Three Dog Night with a song?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 12:12:37 PM »

On the sly?  Pretty sure Darlin' was intended for Redwood [Three Dog Night] ... Time to Get Alone too...?  Danny and Brian were close friends...I got the impression speaking with Danny almost 30 years ago that THAT never stopped.  Mind you that WAS 30 years ago.

---------------------------------------

You probably already knew all of this...it just isn't exactly clear from the post.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:14:46 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 12:31:13 PM »

I guess I was wondering after Redwood. When I tried looking up Hutton, I found a funny anecdote from a fairly recent article ( http://irishecho.com/2011/02/spreading-the-joy-danny-hutton-and-his-band-three-dog-night-2/ ):

“I’m stunned by my kids,” Hutton exclaimed. “The 16-year-old plays drums and pushes a 24-piece jazz band at Hamilton High. They played on the Sunset Strip when they were 13. Brian Wilson comes over and jams with them. I think they’re incredible.”
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx