gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681009 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 12:01:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Touring BB Bands of 2014  (Read 18122 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 10:59:50 PM »

A DVD really? We'll see I guess but I think the BRI deal excludes this.

Interesting point. As it's not a studio recording, maybe not... and of course, the other members of BRI may have agreed to an exemption. Truithfully, in this respect I have no idea, but I can't imagine that someone is shooting the gig just for the yucks.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 11:33:36 PM »

Not all bands playing Austin City Limits are taped for the PBS TV show of the same name. Most are not, and there is no indication on the ACL website that it is being taped.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 01:52:51 AM »

Points to remember about Brian's touring schedule:

1 - it's very rare that it's announced too far in advance...

2 - it's even more rare that it's announced in anything other than a piecemeal fashion.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:54:10 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 02:27:17 AM »

Mark Frost says Twin Peaks not happening.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Gohi
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 04:13:04 AM »

On a somewhat related note: Lynch is preparing the production of new Twin Peaks material. Smokin (Not much more is known as of yet.)
Nope. That's just a rumor that's gotten out of hand.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 04:31:32 AM »

Aw, that's too bad.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 04:34:49 AM »

So there is:

M&B
Al Jardine and Friends
BAD (+Blondie)
The Surf City All Stars

Pretty good odds that we can all see some live Beach Boys this year  Smiley

Who was it on this board (Mikie?) that actually saw the Bruce + Blondie solo show back in the day? I would probably choose to see that over any of the four options above, just because of how different it would be.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2014, 04:36:25 AM »

Is this the year M&B add Wrinkles to the setlist to promote Mike's solo box set? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2014, 04:43:18 AM »

Oh jeez...is Wrinkles actually going to get an official release?

Maybe they will premier it live at Hyde Park like they did with GTTB. Because that song rawked  Wink

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 06:06:57 AM »

Points to remember about Brian's touring schedule:

1 - it's very rare that it's announced too far in advance...

2 - it's even more rare that it's announced in anything other than a piecemeal fashion.

'Tis true. I remember back during the 2004 Smile US tour, they NEVER posted the San Francisco tour date on the official website. Not before the show, nor after. You would have never known Brian was going to play an amazing show at Davies Symphony Hall in San Francisco unless you had been scouring other forums or were checking Ticketmaster, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2014, 06:15:16 AM »

Mike + Bruce on Austin city limits Jan 19th.. To be shown on cable at a later date  ??  With a forthcoming DVD release..?  Sounds interesting..

As someone else mentioned, "Austin City Limits" long ago ceased being only a TV show. They apparently promote shows and festivals outside of the actual TV show.

As others have also mentioned, there's no way BRI would allow an official release (audio or video) of a Mike/Bruce show or tour under the "Beach Boys" name. There seems to be a very clear distinction there, which everybody including Mike seems to be happy with. He uses the name to book live tours, nothing else. Not only does this seems to be the "understanding" within the band, this also appears to be the legality of the situation. That exclusive license to use the name is specifically for booking live shows. So we have gotten some TV airings of Mike/Bruce shows or peformances (Good Morning America, Today show, even more stuff over in Europe), but we'll never see anything released on CD or DVD from his tour under the "Beach Boys" name.

I'd say back in the late 90's/early 2000's, given things like the "Salute NASCAR" album which treaded a fine line about using the "Beach Boys" name on the cover, that back then Mike may well have loved to start putting out live CD's and DVD's under the Beach Boys name for his tour. But I don't think presently he cares about much beyond his ability to tour under the name. That's clearly his bread and butter.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »

Mike + Bruce on Austin city limits Jan 19th.. To be shown on cable at a later date  ??  With a forthcoming DVD release..?

Not the TV show -- "Austin City Limits at Moody Theater" is the name of the venue. I suspect that ACL won naming rights for the theater.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2014, 10:47:40 AM »

Is this the year M&B add Wrinkles to the setlist to promote Mike's solo box set? Grin

How about getting "Take Good Care of Your Feet" added to the M&B setlist too, and a commemorative Beach Boys "Wrinkles (Like a Raisin)" b/w "Take Good Care of Your Feet" 7-inch vinyl for the next Record Store Day. Let's make this happen, people  Grin
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:59:49 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2014, 08:47:08 PM »

Some more tour dates of interest, courtesy of BBFC:

Brian Wilson:
Jan. 26 — San Diego, CA (4th & B, with special guest Alan Jardine)

David Marks:
May 17 — Hickory, NC (P.E. Monroe Auditorium, Lenoir-Rhyne University, with the Surf City Allstars)

Blondie Chaplin:
Feb. 11 — New York City, NY (Cutting Room, Young Presidents' CD release party)

This one was reported in the latest issue of ESQ:
The Legends of Surf Music (Al Jardine, David Marks and Dean Torrence) with the Surf City Allstars
May 10 — North Myrtle Beach, NC (Mayfest on Main, free show)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:50:45 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2014, 10:29:38 PM »

I'm just an hour north of North Myrtle, think I'll go see Al, Dave and Dean (and it's a freebie)!

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 01:50:33 AM »

Brian Wilson:

WHAT? How did I not know about this? My birthday party will have to be postponed now (it was going to be on that day)

EDIT: Are we sure about this? There was a Brian/Al date on Jan. 26th, 2007, which I went to. Also, 4th and b closed down in late 2012.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:00:54 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 02:57:27 AM »

Brian's music can work miracles, you know - heals cats and now, apparently reopens venues.  Grin

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2014, 03:48:39 AM »

Brian Wilson:

John Lyons, owner of Avalon Hollywood, has taken over the 4th & B location and reopening it as Avalon San Diego. They have not opened yet nor does their Facebook page have any dates set.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2014, 04:49:54 AM »

This on TicketBastard's Avalon San Diego page:

"There are no events currently scheduled at this venue."

Somehow, I don't see that changing in 16 days.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2014, 06:00:47 AM »

Hhhhm, that Brian Wilson 4th & B date came from an online news story, which just may have been an old story with a new dateline attached. That Jan. 26 date is looking much too coincidental to 2007, and there's been no announcement of a show from BW.com or AJ.com. Looks spurious -- we'll be pulling that one from BBFC's dates. Thanks for your assistance, guys.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2014, 06:41:04 AM »

I think the incorrect 4th & B date was mentioned a week or so ago. That one can’t be happening. The venue is closed, there are no other tour dates around that time, it’s the exact same date as the 2007 show, and we’re only 16 days from the 26th, so tickets would have already gone on sale.

I for one am kind of saddened to see these one-off “Surf City All Stars” shows with Dave and/or Al. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure those shows are great; I’ll go see them if they ever book a show in my area, but it kind of highlights the falsity of one of key sort of sub-arguments from those who didn’t seem too concerned about the dissolution of the “reunion” lineup; that we could still see all these guys doing their own thing even if the reunion ended.

Even Mike Love talks in interviews about how Brian has his band, Al his has, and so on. In the case of Brian, that is true, but in the case of Al, he hasn’t really had anything even approaching a regular-touring band since 1999 with “Family & Friends.” He still gets bookings now and then, and when he does play, it’s usually in an easily accessible county fair sort of situation (or conversely an impossible-to-attend private function). But the simple fact is that we’d be getting way more chances to see Al and Dave live if the reunion had held together. While Al not super-actively pursuing bookings may be a factor (I’m sure he could book more super small venues like clubs if he wanted to), I’m sure it’s the name recognition issue that keeps him from being able to book that many shows.

Hopefully we’ll still get to see Al and Dave with Brian if Brian tours this year. Hopefully a few spring/summer bookings from Al and Dave aren’t indicators that no Brian tours could be scheduled around that time.

baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2014, 10:33:08 AM »

Well here's a new Brian UK date.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/87490/brian-wilson-to-headline-the-hop-farm-music-festival-2014
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2014, 11:00:08 AM »

His only UK date in 2014, according to the article.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2014, 08:27:05 PM »

Very interesting! Doesn't sound like Al, David, Blondie...or anybody extra will be involved in his performance!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2014, 08:45:48 PM »

"The surf-pop hero, who co-wrote more than two dozen Top 40 hits for the Beach Boys, will perform his only UK performance of 2014 at the Kent event"

I find it really weird that they would say that. It could be just for fans to think this is the only chance to see BW in the UK, when really there has just been no planning towards more UK shows.
Brow
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:55:40 PM by Woodstock » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx