gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680964 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 08:16:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wouldn't It Be Nice on Still Cruisin'  (Read 1526 times)
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2009, 10:33:44 AM »

Hello all,

while just listening to the Still Cruisin' record for the second time ever I couldn't help but feel that something about Wouldn;t It Be Nice sounded so different to all the other versions I have. Does anyone have any more info on what master it was sourced from?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 10:42:11 AM »

Might be the duophonic version.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 11:29:26 AM »

The story I've always heard was that the original master for "Would It Be Nice" was lost, so they used a rough mix, or something to that effect. I also believe that it was used for several other releases in that same period. Hope that helps.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 11:53:41 AM »

The 45 master went missing sometime around 1985. There was a duophonic copy on the PS master LP reel. So Capitol used a rough mix of the track for the 1986 MADE IN USA lps and then used it on every other comp thru to 1991. I have it on pretty good authority that version is now no longer in Capitol's vaults.

Of course the version used now is from the NYC copy of PS that was called for at the time of the PS remaster in 1987. As an aside, when the two-fer's first appeared in 1991, Capitol assembled a 2 CD set called "Absolute Best Vol. 1 & 2". They also put together a sampler CD to send out to radio and record stores heralding the remasters done by Mark. But on those CDs, meant to show how well the remasters sounded, they used the rough mix of WIBN rather than the version that was on the PS remastered CD.

WTF?

Bob
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »

didn't the Made in the USA (or whatever title it had) have an alt. mix of WIBN?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx